m20 harmonic balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old topic... but still valid.

I've been thinking if one could use the low timing belt gear from E21 323i ( 11211264531 ) and M50 harmonic balancer (VAC, Ross, MRT younameit... basically ATI adapter) together.

Comment

Would love to find a solution. My OE m20 unit is starting to show signs of degredation of the rubber bonding the pieces which Im sure will eventually affect timing/function.

Comment

I have a m20 specific solution with minimal mods but would need to get 10 made with 6-9 month lead and they would not exactly be cheap with sleepy joe inflation, Covid tax, bmw tax, Putin tax, et al
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          I have a m20 specific solution with minimal mods but would need to get 10 made with 6-9 month lead and they would not exactly be cheap with sleepy joe inflation, Covid tax, bmw tax, Putin tax, et al
          What kind of quote did you get per unit?
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

What kind of quote did you get per unit?
            about ~$1000
            Last edited by digger; 12-23-2022, 04:24 PM. Reason: updated price info
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

about ~$1000
              any details on the unit? is it similar to OEM or solid material just for a sake of toothed wheel?

Comment

It is an ATI super damper so it uses a standard inertia ring (7") with rubber o-rings (tuneable based on the rubber duro) that is rebuildable. it has the factory pulleys for the WP+Alt, PS and A/C. includes the same 60-2 trigger wheel which is part of the solid shell unlike the factory peice where the trigger wheel is resiliently mounted

Comment

It is an ATI super damper so it uses a standard inertia ring (7") with rubber o-rings (tuneable based on the rubber duro) that is rebuildable. it has the factory pulleys for the WP+Alt, PS and A/C. includes the same 60-2 trigger wheel which is part of the solid shell unlike the factory peice where the trigger wheel is resiliently mounted

If all 3 parts are bolted to the lower timing gear, what provides the damping? I thought the rubber flexing between two masses was the method of energy absorbtion?

Comment

Originally posted by redneckvtek View Post

If all 3 parts are bolted to the lower timing gear, what provides the damping? I thought the rubber flexing between two masses was the method of energy absorbtion?
                    the blue inertia ring is held in place by rubber only.
                    the grooves in it are for large o-rings 6 off. These are not shown

Comment

I’m interested

Comment

the blue inertia ring is held in place by rubber only.
                        the grooves in it are for large o-rings 6 off. These are not shown
                        Got it, I was thinking the blue was the rubber. I like that the inertia ring is captured.

I wish I could be in for this, I want one bad, but I can't use non-OE pulleys in my league.

Comment

Got it, I was thinking the blue was the rubber. I like that the inertia ring is captured.

I wish I could be in for this, I want one bad, but I can't use non-OE pulleys in my league.
                          Digger would know better but I don't see why they would design it with new non OEM pulley? Bolt circle doesn't change .....unless it was impossible to maintain the same thickness at the crank bolt area of this damper.

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post

Digger would know better but I don't see why they would design it with new non OEM pulley? Bolt circle doesn't change .....unless it was impossible to maintain the same thickness at the crank bolt area of this damper.
                            its not possible to use the OEM sheet metal pulley. The flanges on the outer and inner shell are thicker and it’s not possible to make them thin enough. The factory vibration damper is single ply like 3-4mm thick whereas the damper requires two parts sandwiched together with a high level of stiffness
                            Last edited by digger; 12-29-2022, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Can you find a pully from another BMW?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Now I have seen two examples for M20, one from Belgian tuner Atrex and this (probably the same)

BMW adapter for the ATI super damper This flange adapts the ATI Super Damper to your BMW engine. Please note the motor selection. Important: - The trigger wheel is included for motors with external speed measurement (e.g. M20, M30, M50 etc). - For engin…

Comment

Working...
                                X