Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.85 (2.9) Stroker with S50 Crank - it lives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah for now i just have an sssquid custom chip. MS will probably be in the future.

Comment

She's running really well, today i had a custom center section made to adapt the headers to an oe catback hookup. Put a magnaflow resonator in the middle. I love the sound, its oeish at idle and really wakes up above 3k.

Only 2 main issues at the moment - there's a huge hesitation around 5.5k at full throttle, and there's a noticeable hesitation when applying throttle from idle which i have to either get used to or fix.

Comment

whelp she just left me stranded for the first time. It did something similar to when i got it to the exhaust shop yesterday.

driving around at ~2500 rpm in third, the engine started to hesistate and jerk a bit with no change in throttle position. It then began to at pretty erratically ( reving up to 3k with not input in neutral, and then hunting for the idle)

about 1/4 mile later she died on me, just shut off. I pulled into a parking lot with the momentum i had left and couldn't get her started again.

I'm suspect of the original fuel pump getting overheated from the increased demand. we got it running fine when it was back home - fired up first try with 37psi of line pressure. I'm going to try to replicate the failure and see what the fuel pressure is then. Any idea besides this?

There is still the hesitation coming off of idle that makes it ridiculously easy to stall, and the hesitation at 5.5k. havent done much research today as i was getting the PS system functioning and fixing a few other small things on the car.

car seems to be running very rich, Ill try to do an ECU reset in the morning and see if that helps withthe new O2 sensor.
        Last edited by sert57; 07-27-2017, 07:14 PM.

Comment

i havent played around with motronic and AFM for along time but revs jumping without throttle and hunting at idle sound like an ICV issue, but i bet this isnt the only issue

you should do the usual fuel delivery and pressure checks as well as electric checks for the fuel system (relay checks, power to pump etc) if you suspect something.
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Played around with a lot of variables - cleaned icv and afm and made sure they worked, my fuel pump pressure was a little low so i replaced it with a new meyle unit. Changed out CPS for another i had laying around and still didnt work.

Finally i put the oe i lnjectors in and it fired right up, perhaps the ford ones I was using didnt work well with the system, it had ran very rich. Going to try to return or sell them and I have some pink tops on order as i need the #19 capabilities. I could feel the oe injectors failing to keep up at WOT at high revs.

That seemed to fix the problems, no hesitation off idle, not hunting anymore, and not running rich. Hoping to keep breaking it in and get it on a dyno at some point.

Comment

most likely a bad injector or 2. i ran "ford" injectors the same size as what you had on stock chip for weeks without issues on a stock m20b25 when diagnosing some things, probably not the same p/n though
              Last edited by digger; 07-30-2017, 05:07 PM.
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I'm not sure honestly, the car was always running rich and seemed to be fouling itself out even when running, when it stopped on me it acted like it was flooded. The exhaust also was very visibly rich at all times as well. For reference i was running p/n 0280155700.

Still getting CEL 1223 which I need to track down soon. It was there originally withe the ford injectors, went away when I got my exhaust finished up, and came back with the oe injectors.

Once I get the other injectors and make sure it really is sorted out in ill put it on a dyno and post results. My goal with this was to build a quality budget stroker using easily obtainable off the shelf products, and I feel like I've been successful. So once i know its sorted ill try to write a shorter little thread about what i did and what the results are. I'm hoping to get around 180 to the wheels with it.

Comment

180whp shouldn't be an issue. I just did that with a m52 crank eta rods, "i" pistons, 272 cam, stock valves/ports and a dyno tuned chip.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Quick update - ended up buying and assembling a MS2 DIY PNP kit which solved the hesitation issue. She sounds glorious at 7K.

Going to try to get a professional dyno tune done in the next couple of days.

I think I may get a spare AFM and remove the "barn door" so its just a temp sensor. should give OE looks and keep the MS happy, and hopefully get another pony or two.

Comment

Oh you didn't delete that with the original MS install? Yeah, you definitely need to do that. The AFM is a major restriction.

But you don't need to get another AFM. Just use a piece of ~2 7/8" tubing (exhaust, pvc, etc) to connect the elbow to a filter. Drill a hole in the tube and RTV the GM temp sensor in place.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

glad you are working thru all those glitches. This thread could use more pictures or you have a build thread somewhere?

Comment

i noticed better throttle response with the afm removed and haven't looked back!
                          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

A 3 inch ID AutoZone exhaust pipe will also go in the stock boot with stretching in case a 2.75 inch is hard to find.

Comment

Did the AFM delete and put in a bosch ev1 IAT sensor with a custom made harness to hook into the AFM plug.

Ignore the AFR line - its just wrong

Torque - 205 ft-lbs @ 2500 rpm
                              Power - 156 hp @ 4400 rpm

Got a dyno tune yesterday at zen motors in Atlanta. Not really sure why my numbers are so low. I haven't double checked cam timing and valve clearance lately. It looks like I could definitely go bigger on the cam, but I don't plan on tearing into it anytime soon.

It sucks as far as impressing people on the internet goes, but it makes a heck of a daily. I'd take a bet its one of the fastest 160 whp E30s out there.

Comment

Based on the HP number, it would appear to me that the o2 number is correct, but also a cam tooth off would do similar (your TQ curve looks weird for an m20).
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:
                                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                                X