Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RobE30
    replied
    This thread is great. Thanks to everyone who's contributed. After reading through it, I'm amazed that my engine (284/272) on a stock b25 has held up d/t my severe lack of knowledge with tolerances/clearances. Round 2 is going to be much better.

How many miles should a Schrick 284/272 cam last? I think I'm around 40k, regular oil changes Castrol GTX 20/50

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Hey Varg, that's a good way to look at it. We've got a nice study of HP for M20 turbo stroker builds.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Thanks for that, dvallis. It is very rare that someone posts a dyno printout that good. Usually it's one or two runs just to brag about the peak hp number when the comparison is the real value of a dyno in the first place. I had a little fun with your numbers since I don't get to see this kind of comparison with turbo cars too often. Of course it's not gospel, just for comparison, and forcing linearity is only way to easily display what kind of power increase your build is seeing per added psi of boost (the slope of the line).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2020-03-20 093833.png Views:	0 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	9912497
    Last edited by varg; 03-20-2020, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    It's really well behaved, drivable and fun. I'm getting 5-10 psi boost at partial throttle, so maybe 200-250 HP. At WOT 19 psi the boost comes on like Mike Tyson punching you in the face. Make sure you're pointed in a straight line, hold on and try not to scream like a little girl. :-)

Leave a comment:

• gnmzl
    replied
    That's a curve I'd love to see in any of my cars. How does it drive, did you get a chance to test it?

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Das Beast 2.8L turbo stroker M20

See Build Thread page 1 for specs

BLACK : 6 psi
    RED : 10 psi
    BLUE: 16 psi
    GREEN: 19 psi

Click image for larger version

Name:	bq4KHCv.png
Views:	1032
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	9911863

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    I'm not sweating it Keith, it's relevant. What did you do for the CPS?

Right on dvallis.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    'Bird this is a great thread. Will be sure to post my dyno run here.

Leave a comment:

• whodwho
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    yes there is only one but i'm against incorporating additional idlers, tensioners into the Vee belt system for the additional cost, points of failure and maintenance.
    You threw me on the 'timing belt'. You could run without the tensioner and idler and just use the manual adjusters and would be 100% stock BMW non maintenance parts. it allows to run a newer damper and one that's tuned (if there is any real difference) for the 84mm crank that I am running. I also have a ATI damper for my S54 that I am seeing what I can do for a hub.

it would make more sense on an M30 which needs the extra space
    Or a supercharger setup 8^)

(ignore the alternator holding up the SC, that was just to hold it while checking the SC > plenum > throttles alignment)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3484 (Small).JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	9877254

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Only options ATM are using a 24v damper, which is larger in diameter and has the OlT mark at 2 o'clock vs 10 o'clock (easy fix), will require custom CPS bracket and either change to vee belt damper, or serpentine alternator other oprtion is totally a custom /adapted unit.
    Sorry for derailing your thread I though it was relevant to your post, I will make a new thread

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    yes there is only one but i'm against incorporating additional idlers, tensioners into the Vee belt system for the additional cost, points of failure and maintenance.

it would make more sense on an M30 which needs the extra space

Leave a comment:

• whodwho
    replied
    one tensioner on the timing belt is more than enough....
    I don't understand your statement?? There is only one

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    one tensioner on the timing belt is more than enough....

Leave a comment:

• whodwho
    replied
    Funny timing, here is a recent project that might be relevant 8^)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3533 (Small).JPG
Views:	1293
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	9877181

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    i just want to see which part is rubber and some basic dimensions will probably do if it is cut up a bit

i think i have a solution for the ATI option for the M20 that retains all the pulleys locations with little more than some modified front covers. there are a couple of options i came up with based on ATI's initial work to fit their recommended Inertia ring.
    - one option allows the stock OE crank gear (albeit the new version) and 24V 95mm long centre bolt used for a typical stroker which is ideal. will be discussing with them in coming weeks.
    - another options a new gear that integrates to the damper but means the big M18 bolt needs to be removed to change the timing belt which is not ideal. this will add a fair bit of cost to the already expensive price so fingers crossed the first option can be taken from concept design to a detail design.
    Last edited by digger; 10-10-2019, 05:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied

any chance you could cut it up and measure the rubber bits and steel so i can model in CAD and do some calculations? you could always send it to me
    Not likely as he is about 1300 miles away, but can ask.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X