Diesel sounding M20 with forged pistons problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel sounding M20 with forged pistons problem

My m20 stroker (b28 I think?) sounds funny at cold idle. There is sort of a clanking sound similar to a diesel. I have been informed it may need a valve adjustment, have an exhaust leak or need different oil.

When the engine is warm the sound is gone by the engine but a soft clanging can be still be heard inside the car.

I am running 10w60 Liquimoly oil.

I am wondering if the forged pistons have anything to do with it...Maybe they take time to expand.

I have taken Videos of the cold idle and warm idle.

Cold Idle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5x4dVvwxU

Warm Idle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYXDTfBI-Uc

Input would be appreciated!! Thanks!
    Last edited by etagolnik; 05-30-2018, 03:13 PM.

Yes, forged pistons are noisy when cold and will burn some oil / be noisey on start up. This is due to the different properties of the metal. You can get different materials / coatings that will combat this. Maybe give us info on what type of pistons you bought?

Full disclosure, I did not listen to the video.

But this is one of the reasons I went with stock pistons for my 2.8 build.
    '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

just FYI your vids are switched in the first post. No idea what the clacking is. Mine sounded like that and it was a bone stock eta. Not quite as clacky but did sound a more like a diesel than a gas engine lol. Check the valves and see if that helps.
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

yeah forged pistons do that depending which alloy and what clearances are used.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Your other video suggests it all works quite well:)

Not much help but my Stocko m20 sounds significantly different when cold vs hot. I put it down to being an old engine thing....

Comment

its always worth rechecking the valve train or trying to chase down the noise as it could be some kind of light interference issue
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Use a mechanic's stethoscope and probe the rocker cover and outside of the bores. Will tell you in seconds where the noise is from. :)
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies.

- The Pistons are Ross Forged Pistons
                - I believe the rods are Eagle forged H beam rods
                - Myster-e ported (Bimmerheads?) Head with 272 cam and I believe heavy duty rocker and double valvesprings

I have tried using actual stethoscopes to hear where the noise is coming from and have not been that successful in tracking it down.

I have been told it may be an exhaust leak (doubt it). The exhaust does leak right where the turbo meets the downpipe but I doubt it is the culprit.

I have been told the rockers may need adjusting. Last time I adjusted the rocker lash was before the engine was in the car. So I am hoping that is the issue.

I can also hear a rattle from inside the car, coming from the engine bay when i hold the rpm steady around 1200ish, which could still be the valvetrain.
                Last edited by etagolnik; 05-30-2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Also, How much oil is supposed to be coming out of that oil rail that passes from the front of the head to the back of the head?

I watched through the oil filler hole as it was running and couldn't see oil spraying out?
                  Last edited by etagolnik; 05-30-2018, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Doesn't really "spray", it's more like a steady stream/drip. If it's "drop, drop, drop" check oil pressure.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

That sounds like good ole piston slap to me. Non coated JE and Ross pistons are known for it. I had an Evo that sounded like a diesel on cold start up. That engine was torn down after 20K hard miles and it looked like brand new but sounded awful.
                      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                        That sounds like good ole piston slap to me. Non coated JE and Ross pistons are known for it. I had an Evo that sounded like a diesel on cold start up. That engine was torn down after 20K hard miles and it looked like brand new but sounded awful.

Nail = Head.

JE, Ross and a few others like to have excessive piston to bore clearance. Great pistons, despite the flack of the internet bosses, but they are loose jugs until ~200°f or so.

Today's alloys are much better, but in all honesty, I have been amazed at how well the hyper alloy OEM Mahle pistons react to abuse, and how tight of a tolerance they allow.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

I've heard noisy Venolia's and Wiseco's too. Depends on clearances.

Comment

- Oil pressure is good. Its about 90psi or so cold and then warm its just under 20psi and rises with rpm.

- Sucks about those pistons...I dont like. The engine is only a few years old. I plan on doing methanol injection and shooting for 400whp. If I warm up the car before beating on it I guess it will be ok if thats normal for those pistons.

- Last night I checked the rocker to valvespring clearance and most of them were larger than spec..I set them all to 0.010". I think the biggest gap I measured before adjusting was 0.016"! I'm interested to see how it sounds/performs now.

- Tonight I plan to button up the valve cover and seal a exhaust leak right after the turbo.

Comment

So I drove the car today and it still is rattling. Even when its warmed up.

Here is a video. If you listen real good you can make out the rattle.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Working...
                              X