Ring Ridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring Ridge?

I have a 325e block I'm building an engine with, and it has a significant ring ridge in the #1 cylinder on the front side. The others have a ridge that's almost undetectable except for the line under the honing marks.

Has anybody built a motor with cylinder and piston wear that's beyond the .0047" clearance service limit spec? Should I just run the damn thing? or consider overboring to 85mm and building a 2.8?
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Definitely bore it! Otherwise you run the risk of banging up your new rings to bits. The old rings were slowly worn to that shape, the sharp edges on the new rings will be screaming in pain.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I think I can count on the fingers of no hand the number of
      BMW engines I've taken apart that had a measurable ridge*...

...*unless something bad had happened to that cylinder,
      like running with a leaking head gasket.

Bore it. John's always right AND the ridge will kill the ring and/or piston in short order.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        John's always right

Wouldn't go that far lol.

My pops likes to say "I thought I was wrong once, but I was only mistaken." :p

Honestly, though, just try and share good info with the community - most of it is based on experience.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

You could probably find an m20 block for free with no measurable ring ridge. I’d leave one at the end of the driveway for you, but that probably doesn’t help you much in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Definitely bore it! Otherwise you run the risk of banging up your new rings to bits. The old rings were slowly worn to that shape, the sharp edges on the new rings will be screaming in pain.
            I always appreciate hearing from you FF. It just so happens that I have another block already in my possession, but it was sort of sold to someone. I asked him if be needed the block since he really just wanted the rotating assembly, but he said I could keep it if I need. It has a very slight ridge but I think when I hone it it'll go away. Almost feels like it's only combustion residue.

If the ridge is nearly gone, should I still bore it out?

If I make a 2.7i stroker using a b25 piston in a b27 bottom end (crank and rods), will the rings hit that ridge? I can't find any detailed specs of both pistons when it comes to upper ring to wrist pin distance.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

A ridge reamer is your friend
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

the first thing to do is measure it properly to see of its round, straight, tapered or what IMO
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  the first thing to do is measure it properly to see of its round, straight, tapered or what IMO
                  That's the plan, but I'm now probably just going to use my other block and save this one to turn into a 2.8 and bore it to 85mm.

I need to borrow a micrometer from work in order to measure the bores. That size is the one I don't have!

Thankfully, I have the equipment to bore out cylinders myself. Bread and butter for a bridgeport mill.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Wouldn't go that far lol.

My pops likes to say "I thought I was wrong once, but I was only mistaken." :p
                    Once or twice (or maybe more :) ), I initially disagreed with something you wrote.

In trying to type up the response, invariably, I discovered it was MY misunderstanding,
                    not yours....

Thus, I realized the errors of my ways. :nice:
                    t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

...as long as we admit when we are :p
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

Working...
                      X