Intake manifold nuts, washers, ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake manifold nuts, washers, ?

In my rush to get the intake manifold off, I wasn't paying attention to the nuts holding the manifold on the engine (lesson learned). Now that it's time for reassembly, I'm seeing that I removed 6 nuts and washers and six nuts with hats. I found a bimmer forum post saying they should be nuts, washers, and wave washers. Realoem diagram has nuts and washers.
    1. Are the nuts with hats equivalent to nuts and washers?
    2. Did you use a wave washer to soften the torque force on your intake?

Thanks all.

1. Yes.
    2. No.

Comment

Flanged nuts are fine. wave and spring washers are never used on the most critical of fasteners anyway so how much do they actually do...., though realoem does say wave washers with the flanged nuts. Don't just use regular nuts without a washer as it will chew into the alloy and have higher tendency to loosen/relax as the contact stress is higher. the wave washers are so puny i doubt they function like a proper washer in spreading the load
      Last edited by digger; 01-14-2020, 02:13 PM.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Thank you for your help. I appreciate the responses. So much easier to take these off than put them on. I'm in the process of fitting my fingers or threading the swivel socket into these spaces without dropping the nuts, washers, jeez... Testing my patience.

Comment

Get some itbs it’s a lot easier to install and remove than the factory manifold lol
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Magnetize your socket for hard to reach fasteners.

Comment

It's funny how the thinking has changed- the 2002 has wave washers anywhere a steel bolt head clamps down an aluminum casting.

The E46 has either a heavier, captive washer if the bolt is in oil contact, or a coated flange- head bolt, no washer at all, if it's dry.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

The manifold nuts are 12mm hex to have extra clearance for a socket/wrench, and shouldn't be flanged if original. The springs washers do work, albeit not as good as a lock washer (or stover/nylox nut).

LOL digger Perhaps if the ITB's are open, but it would probably be a wash if the airbox is used.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

that's easy, the air box should come off first ;)

Comment

The original ones were just nuts and washers.

It's better to unscrew the long stud using the two-nut method before the installation and screw it backlater. It will simplify the installation.

Comment

Working...
                    X