Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can’t get this thing to idle properly. I know, that’s every topic in here.. smh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can’t get this thing to idle properly. I know, that’s every topic in here.. smh

So I’ve check every standard thing that would make the car idle incorrectly

- smoke tested, minor leak in one hose, replaced and not leaking anymore. Still idles bad (shakes)
    - new spark plugs
    - new ignition wires
    - new distributor cap and rotor
    - icv cleaned and replaced
    - new fuel pulp and filter
    - afm tested
    - head gasket replaced
    - valve cover and rocker seals replaced
    - ecu swapped
    - compression test 150 on all cylinders except one that was around 130.
    - tps tested with known working and car knows when it’s in idle
    - I have not changed the cps.. didn’t see the need.
    - 02 sensor changed with new sensor. No marbles.

im lost :/

one thing to note however, fuse number 20 keeps blowing and the ac never worked on this car nor has the blower.. probably not related, I just wanted to point that out. All other fuses are fine. I’ve removed all wiring going to ac and blower and fuse has stopped blowing but car had a problem starting and still idles incorrectly.

help?

Since you're throwing money at it.... maybe a new cam shaft and rockers. Check to see if those don't have unusual wear.

Comment

Is there a way to test it? I have done a valve adjustment and everything seems to be within spec of the Bentley Manuel

Comment

thermostat? clogged injectors? try the Italian tune-up [no offense] red line on the highway for a quarter mile... just sayin. m20s... sent from hell using Tapatalk
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        '90 325i sedan daily driven
        '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

You didn't mention timing verification. So check that, test the CPS, check injector function if it comes to it.

Also look at the actual plugs for the ICV, TPS and CPS.

Comment

I will check the plugs for those when I get home and I actually replaced all the belts, including the timing belt when I replaced the head gasket. I triple checked my tdc / o/t marks on cam and crank. It’s on time.

Comment

The best, all in one place, idle documentation I've found is here: http://www.verrill.com/car/e30_idlefaq.shtml
              2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Cheffy30. How could my thermostat be the problem? That is something I didn’t check and I was taking a look at it yesterday. I noticed the bleeder screw seemed to have a stuck bolt in it? No coolant came out when I removed the 8mil on top of the thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by Amcubayt View Post
                  Cheffy30. How could my thermostat be the problem? That is something I didn’t check and I was taking a look at it yesterday. I noticed the bleeder screw seemed to have a stuck bolt in it? No coolant came out when I removed the 8mil on top of the thermostat.
                  the thermostat gets and sends signals through afm. I dunno. it's all part of the idle scene man... sent from hell using Tapatalk
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Double check cam timing?

Id replace injectors over cleaning them.
                    #html-body [data-pb-style=OQGUDQP]{justify-content:flex-start;display:flex;flex-direction:column;background-position:left top;background-size:cover;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-attachment:scroll}Performance Upgrade, Generation IV Bosch fuel injectors with 4-hole fuel nozzle Brand New, genuine Bosch Gen IV fuel injectorsBosch, BMW, M10, M20, M50, M52, M70, M73 This New Bosch Gen IV part number: 034U170SReplaces old Bosch/Lucas part number: 0280150715, 0280150716, 0280150415, D3762 LIFE EXPECTANCY: More than 150,000 miles Compatible with all OEM sensors, injector drivers/controller ECUs. No remapping or resetting of any OEM parameters Double-slotted to fit OEM fuel rail retainers 4-hole Disc Fuel Nozzle - BEST fuel atomization BENEFITS OF GENERATION 4 BOSCH FUEL INJECTORS: Added Miles per Gallon Engine runs cooler Increased fuel atomization Restore lost horsepower Restore lost torque  LIST PRICE INCLUDES ONE (1) FUEL INJECTOR WITH VITON O-RINGS INCLUDED This Bosch fuel injector is not the manufacturer's original equipment (OEM) spec injectors for this vehicle.  This is an OEM replacement upgrade.These fuel injectors have been carefully tested and cross referenced to match the internal coil resistance and are compatible with your stock ECU. Use for stock replacement OEM original equipment  SPECIAL NOTE to our customers: This is a superior fuel injector when compared to the original equipment injectors for your V-12 BMW engine. All orings are supplied for installation. This injector is sold with a money back guarantee. If you are not 100% satisfied we will refund your purchase price for returned uninstalled/unused fuel injectors.  New injector design: Gen IV, 4-hole nozzle with composite-plastic bodyLength: 3 inches, 77 mmO-rings: Viton, upper/lower, 14.4 mm Fuel Injector Specifications: Double-slotted top for fuel rail retainer Flow rate PSI: 16 lbs/hrFuel nozzle: Stainless steel, 4-hole discSpray angle: 15 degreesAxial deviation: 0 degreesSpray orientation: 90 degreesSpray distribution: 8-20 degreesSolenoid resistance: 14.5 OhmsAll fuel injector specifications meet or exceed the manufacturer's specification standard.

The thermostat has no communication on the M20

Do you have a better description of how it idles or video?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I will double check the timing but I was very thorough when I installed the timing belt because I had the engine out and didn’t want to screw it up. Also here’s the link to a detailed video of what I’ve done so far and how it idles.

about the fuel injectors, I forgot to mention I replaced the filters, spacers, caps and 0 rings about 2 weeks ago. No change.

Comment

How did you test the afm and what makes you think a 30 year old AFM is still good?
                        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                        www.BavRest.com
                        My Feedback Thread
                        Our Facebook!
                        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I just replaced it with a known to be working one and there was no difference. Do you have suggestions on how to test? If so I’m so willing to try.

Comment

afm has a lot to do with idle. temp is part of the afm. if it's original it's 30 years old... suspect that too sent from hell using Tapatalk
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

fuel pressure? all injectors firing?

what does it do when you crack the throttle? does it "clear up" does it drive ok
                              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                              X