Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Yet another) M42 top end refresh and engine reseal (mid-2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsnppp View Post

I'm still tracking where that bolt/holder went!
    No worries, I’m still a few weeks away from assembling everything. Just thinking ahead and getting everything sorted out. I’m sure once I put everything together, it’ll sort itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by vulteiv1 View Post
      Hey, I’m in the process of rebuilding my m42 too. I’m going through all of the nuts and bolts, but don’t recall where this locking bolt goes. Do you remember seeing it?
      I believe this an older style bolt that was securing 11311247470 (11311247483) - Timing Chain Guide Rail, the new style bolt no longer uses that locking metal piece, it just uses a washer.

#6 - 11311247470 - Timing Chain Guide Rail is a newer type that requires an updated style bolt
      #9 - 07119919629 - Intake Side Chain Guide bolt (updated style to work with new guide rail)
      See the diagram
      https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_4367

Comment

Yeah, it looks like the top bolt for the original left side guide rail. The newer one does not have the cup washer thing, and it uses a longer bolt (so do NOT reuse the original top bolt as it is long enough to start thread engagement, but it will strip the head when torqued down).

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Thanks folks, that makes sense. I found mine that I did not use because I installed the new guide rail + longer bolt.

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
          1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
          1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
          2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

Sounds good to me. I installed the new rail too, so that make sense that I don’t have a place for it. Thanks guys.

Comment

New alternator did the trick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lrZdbPriDjOf1rxHwTvGMAPeFq7VSsrACiWjOLt1-U7mSQ8iG2F8KMu_mjIf0zskf_y7XicR11JHEvVDJ4eocTJyXQsi7i67T3xfb2EWWU4YuwvURXoOER9T1Dc_7u6jMQPeCMBEFQ=w400.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	10046969

Battery light on when car turned to position 2 and not running:

Name:	xU2inkaXjistB6UlCZYN9D4RtA5Ug7Nbp-I2WotaiGrwxCLgfMtuCpiTDutb1AU7t-afjdEGF2Dmzb436OVEEY1q-xkgKnYeouRjUwTAk-rhhW8UUFWpkx1VTglaQM4TviQs6uzfpw=w400.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	10046968

Proper voltage and behavior otherwise too.

Starting to drive it more too. First tank of fresh premium gas:

Name:	j6vBnO9UsQkRFKCx1vzBqeI7zVvuCJ33v5VP9Ec0ckhSlMyJuK_DAd7WzCQQMvFBM4oUjDM2udz2uwvxop5CrEcXiKPEi58fNG6JhvFFVrsbWq-Umi2rwNozM9NkFJ1lvFufoTu4QA=w400.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	10046970

Still has stock springs and so it is on the tall side.

Have about 50 miles on it now. Runs really well. Starts nearly instantly, smooth idle. Nice kick in power above 4k RPM. Feels planted and easy to drive. Haven't yet had an alignment, it drives straight but I'll have it done when I get it inspected for plates.

Right now we are going through the doors, had to fix the passenger door handle and while in there cleaned and lubed everything. Monday we hope to bring it to paint shop to get estimate on cosmetics. Waiting on new vinyl bolsters for drivers seat too.

​​​​​​​Getting there!
              ​​​​​​​

Comment

great to hear Alt was it. enjoy.
                Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Awesome, glad to hear it is running nicely!

Comment

Good to hear it was an easy fix. Can't wait to hear your impressions after getting it aligned and putting some more miles on it.

Comment

Today my daughter and I are driving it to an auto body shop to get an estimate on paint. Should be fun. I have a few shops to talk with, want to start getting numbers. The bonfire of money is starting to give off less heat and so need to stoke it up a bit. ha ha ha On that note, am looking for a nice but drivers grade set of 15" basketweaves for it.

This week our floormats come in and also repair vinyl sections from zoomzoomzooming on ebay. Drivers seat bolsters are in need of work - passenger seat is great. I'll put photos up for folks to see.

Still need to install radio (need to repair it first) and today I swear I'll check if it has a chip in it.

PS I did ask for admin to move this to the build section b/c now it's more of a build blog. However, I haven't received a reply.

Jason
                      Last edited by jsnppp; 02-21-2022, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Question - if I want to bench test a CM5908 alpine, can I just connect speaker + and - to the speaker outputs? I've looked and cannot (yet) find an answer. Figured I'd check here..

EDIT: Never mind, common ground, + from the small pin on the radio, - to the radio chassis ground.

Jason
                        Last edited by jsnppp; 02-23-2022, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Yeah, just hook up the output pairs one at a time to a speaker to test it.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                            Yeah, just hook up the output pairs one at a time to a speaker to test it.
                            I'm assuming for reasons of the common ground setup. just connecting a speaker + and - to the speaker jacks did not work. When I ran one wire to + on the jack and one - to the radio chassis, it worked. Still wrapping my head around that concept.

My car has in it premium speakers in rear and front. No sign of the original amp nor a harness for the amp. Feels like the wires at the radio in the dash are direct to the speakers. If so, then it won't work with the CM5908 as is. Time to do some line testing.
                            Last edited by jsnppp; 02-23-2022, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Car is getting new tires (205/60R14 Nankang), alignment and state inspection today. Huge step! Next will be license plates.

It's driving well. Which reminds me I still haven't looked if it is chipped. Was busy chasing lightbulbs, radio, and the SRS airbag light.

Comment

Working...
                              X