Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Yet another) M42 top end refresh and engine reseal (mid-2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have thoughts on whether I should do something about the corrosion on the front of the block? I'm tempted to leave it, but could also thin skim it with JB Weld..

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
    1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
    1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
    2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

It looks like all of the areas where gaskets seal the coolant passages are fine, so I would leave it alone. Trying to level it with JB Weld won't really do much to benefit anything, and chunks might even pop off over time from the difference in thermal expansion rate between the block and the epoxy. As long as the cylinder jackets are not also pitted really badly, you should be fine to put it back together since it looks like you did a thorough cleaning.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
        It looks like all of the areas where gaskets seal the coolant passages are fine, so I would leave it alone. Trying to level it with JB Weld won't really do much to benefit anything, and chunks might even pop off over time from the difference in thermal expansion rate between the block and the epoxy. As long as the cylinder jackets are not also pitted really badly, you should be fine to put it back together since it looks like you did a thorough cleaning.
        Awesome, great confirmation, thank you bmwman91

Comment

In this case I don't think they're too concerned about getting it done soon. Might be a few years before it gets done. Such a niche part now, I take it to be more a """"redesign"""" when it's quiet and they want the work experience kid to do something.
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
            In this case I don't think they're too concerned about getting it done soon. Might be a few years before it gets done. Such a niche part now, I take it to be more a """"redesign"""" when it's quiet and they want the work experience kid to do something.
            Assuming all other dimensions are the same, another future option is to build a brass/aluminum/steel bushing to accommodate the delta in post diameters.
            Last edited by jsnppp; 09-12-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Today had other distractions, but on the white car I chased all block and head threads. Prepping for the big install (soon).

Also pulled the exhaust, to be replaced with a new Bre. Wish OE was still available. Spent time cleaning the engine bay too. It's finally getting to where I want it.
              Last edited by jsnppp; 09-13-2021, 06:24 AM.

Comment

I'm close to reinstalling everything. Waiting on lower timing case gasket.

In the meantime I'm concerned about potential interference b/w valves and cylinders. I had the head deck out of due course. They shaved a tiny bit.

I prefer not to go through the loop of plastigauge if I can help it and am wondering if anyone can provide guidance on whether I should be concerned about it.

Final head:

A straight edge across the top, valves not crossing the barrier. Somewhat crappy photo.

A side view.

Comment

I didn't read through your whole post, I apologize. Did you check for crankshaft endplay? This bit me recently on my $400 m42 with similar mileage.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                  Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                    I didn't read through your whole post, I apologize. Did you check for crankshaft endplay? This bit me recently on my $400 m42 with similar mileage.
                    Hi - I did not check for crankshaft endplay. I'll look into it - I have the cylinder head off and front timing case, and both oil pans removed. Hopefully this can be done in the car?

Appreciate the tip.

~~~ UPDATE 9/16/21

I read into crank endplay and its not something that is easier at this stage of my profile gasket replacement and engine reseal. Endplay will be something to check when I replace the rear main seal and remove the transmission. Ideally the motor is out at that time too.

Wish there was a way to see if there was some play - I tried moving the crankshaft laterally and axially by hand :-). No movement but I don't believe that tells me anything (or maybe it's fine, who knows).

Anyway, thanks again for the heads up.
                    Last edited by jsnppp; 09-16-2021, 07:06 AM.

Comment

This weekend I plan to complete "Phase 1" of the reinstallation. Lower timing case, lower timing case cover, all internals + chain. Woot!

Comment

Fantastic thread, making forums great again!

I have been so torn on my M42, I am not sure if this motivates me to refresh or k swap, but it's I love it regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
                          Fantastic thread, making forums great again!

I have been so torn on my M42, I am not sure if this motivates me to refresh or k swap, but it's I love it regardless.
                          I feel late to the e30 party overall, let alone the M42 party. You, me and a handful of other folks are the only ones reading this thread :-)

I'm a huge 2002 fan (and longtime owner). The 318is has been described as the 2002Tii of the 90s and I agree with that statement. I no longer lust after the fastest. Just give me a nice looking, simple car that is fun to drive and gets good gas mileage!

Comment

I agree, the M42 was never something I desired, I only bought my first 318i to swap the motor, but fell in love with the combo and ended up buying a second to swap just so I could keep the M42.
                            But the leaky M42 and questionable reliability has me thinking about throwing a Honda motor in to keep the things I love about the M42 without everything I hate.

But I have always wanted a 2002 with an M42....

Comment

The M42 is a funny thing. The two main weaknesses in it, namely the timing chain sprocket and the half-shell thrust bearing, are totally fixable, although both are a lot of work. The profile gasket used to be "the" thing that the engine caught flak for, but I think that basically all M42's that still run had it fixed long long ago. The real issue is the fact that critical timing components are out of production, and it looks like new crank dampers are also going to be hard to come by (if not NLA already). The dampers do seem to have a finite life, and at least in my case, that life was up until ~2020 lol. I drove the snot out of the engine though, so maybe that contributed. Others have also had it come apart.

It is a really cool little engine, really. The only distributorless engine to come factory in an E30, good fuel economy, reasonable performance with a decent chip and a light flywheel...and a nice light front end. It'll never have the same sort of mass following as the M20, but it is good that these days people are not buying them specifically for M/S5x swaps like they used to.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Yes, I like that people are using the cars/engine as designed (with only bolt on upgrades). There are many engine swapped shells out there. Neat and fun, but limited to the owner or someone who thinks exactly like the owner. I owned/maintained a subaru swapped Vanagon for 10 years and loved it, but it was a frankenstein.

Once you move your head away from "the fastest" it opens up a world of opportunity. The fact is that most modern minivans come with 250+ hp these days (remember when 1st gen M5 was ~200).

Style, however, is timeless.

Comment

Working...
                                X