Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Yet another) M42 top end refresh and engine reseal (mid-2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have photos but haven't uploaded.. Also need to update the workflow on page one.

Just got back from holiday travel and worked on the "mess under the intake" hoses last night. Had to lay them all out on the ground to see if I could figure out what we needed. Really complicated set of hoses.

I know that simplification is a common path but I'm going to make it all work as stock. You all can shake your head collectively :-)

I found that I am missing three hoses so I'll put that order in. One more check to make sure that I'm not needing something else.. I love paying shipping on parts, don't you?

I have all the interior lights in and so can reinstall the cluster and onboard computer, etc..

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
    1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
    1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
    2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

I don't have anything against the original hose setup, just that its complex and more expensive to refresh than to do the tidy up
      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

FCP Euro has free shipping over $50..just load up with even more parts! Lol

Originally posted by jsnppp View Post

I found that I am missing three hoses so I'll put that order in. One more check to make sure that I'm not needing something else.. I love paying shipping on parts, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Gkwan View Post
          FCP Euro has free shipping over $50..just load up with even more parts! Lol

Me too! I swear they are making their weekly sales quota from me alone.

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
            I don't have anything against the original hose setup, just that its complex and more expensive to refresh than to do the tidy up
            I debated on reducing the hoses. In the end I did not. Was a bit more money with probably no return on it, but thats ok.

Made a ton of progress, more photos coming up!

Comment

I'd say we are 85% there..

We are happy with the progress. It's been slow but these take time.

The intake was a bit trickier than I thought. We found we had a few missing nuts (not sure where they are hiding in the garage, but it's been months so no surprise. I had to order from FCP). Intake was challenging because the parts seemed to need to be installed in a certain order. We found that putting the hoses on the throttle body and then installing the rest helped.

* Coolant hoses and plastic runner under intake, coolant temp sensors
              * Intake manifold w/ fuel rail
              * Plenum w/o throttle body
              * Electrical rail, plug in to sensors, etc.
              * Install all intake hoses as best you can, trial and error to make sure it all aligned properly
              * Install throttle body with hoses

There are always a few backwards and forwards, for instance:

I didn't realize the sensor wouldn't fit behind the bracket when we installed the bracket months ago. Off it came! I didn't like doing this b/c of danger of "breaking the seal" on the lower timing chain cover. Should be ok, but note for others that are doing this. (I'll add to front page).

Next up - paint the body that surrounds the radiator (had chips), install radiator, install condenser, coolant hoses, fan, belts, mass flow meter, IAC, add oil, prime engine.

Then maybe even start it! The goal is to start it by end of holiday break (New Years).
              Last edited by jsnppp; 12-12-2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Good progress there. Yeah, the mess under the intake is not just an eyesore, it makes installation and removal of the upper intake manifold an even bigger pain in the ass! Ideally you won't need to pull it off again for along time.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

We are making progress! Paint is on the frame behind the radiator and so once that is complete we can finish the coolant.

Then need to torque the power steering components, install the primary alt - fan - waterpump belt, fill with oil (we will back fill it) and start thinking about starting it.

Photos coming. I've been updating the first page to reflect how things really unfolded.

Comment

Fan installed, belt installed, spark plug wires and coil packs installed, throttle cable in place.

Daughter finished the headlight buckets, they turned out very nice.

Tightened the steering rack, and found that one front brake pad wasn't installed correctly, the spring was backwards.

Interior wise, a lot of scrabbling to ensure all lights work and all dashboard functionality is present. Took a while to figure it all out. I'm glad the 6 button OBC works!

I'm going back and adding oetiker clamps where appropriate.

We also wrapped the wire loom that runs in front of the radiator.

Am now going in and rebuilding the brake ABS wiring...

I'll add photos to this post shortly..

Comment

Does it run?
                      sigpic

Comment

Does it run?
                        Not yet! Radiator needs to be finalized, fluids added and an overall sanity check that it's all tight then we start it..

Very very close.

Comment

Current state!

Condenser in place (not fixed). Wiring re-wrapped, some metal bits on the nose (behind the radiator) touched up with paint, ABS wires replaced, brake sensor done...

An interior shot too. It's all there, justwrapping up..

Comment

Looking good. Should ask an admin to move it from here into the project forum
                            sigpic

Comment

Looking good. Should ask an admin to move it from here into the project forum
                              You are right, I didn't think of that. Thanks, I'll reach out..

Jason

Comment

Tomorrow is the day!

Going to fill the coolant as per this method (from this thread: http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=6597.0):

1. I fill the top coolant hose until I can't get any more coolant in...make sure the heater is set to full hot too.
                                2. After reconnecting that, I fill the overflow tank to the normal cold mark.
                                3. Then I just point the nose of the car up my steep driveway and turn the car on.
                                4. I put the heater on high, open a bleeder (or whatever pressurized connection is highest) until the bubbling stops, make sure the hoses & cabin both get hot and then close off the bleeder or button up the system...
                                5. I take the extra coolant in a jug, set off on a drive and verify that it's still full.
                                6. I also check the level monthly, just for kicks. This car seems more sensitive to coolant system problems, IMHO.

Then work on the oil pump priming. I'm intimidated by this step. I "packed" the oil pump with grease (not as much as I should have in hindsight).

We will also remove the oil filter cap and backfill the oil pump as much as possible (as per this thread: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...-after-rebuild)
                                "You might try pouring some oil into the center tube thing in the filter housing to back-fill the pump. It needs a little oil to fill the air gaps between the gear teeth."

Here is another reference to priming via the oil filter, this one is via the hole in the side of the oil filter housing. If I can pour oil in there I will (from this thread, page 2: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...pressure/page2)
                                "We just had this problem and solved it by priming the pump. There is an additional fitting on the side of the oil filter housing that faces the front of the engine. That leads directly to the pump. We use it for fitting a pressure gauge sender. Remove this fitting (allen head I believe), use a hose and funnel to pour some oil down there, turn the crank by hand (it should take some oil)."

~~~~

We will pull the plugs and the fuel pump fuse and let it turn over a few times at 5 seconds at a time. Then will hold it for maybe 10-20 seconds. I've found some references that it's an unnervingly long time.

Ideally we will see the oil pressure light turn off before we reinstall the plugs and give it a real start.

Where it stands today. Only have 1 belt on: the alternator and water pump.. Not driving yet so don't need power steering pump nor the AC.

Last edited by jsnppp; 01-02-2022, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X