X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thomas88162
    replied
    Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
    It would fit an M44 swapped into an E30 with an E30 manifold. You would be on your own for tuning though as the ECU is different.

The E36 engine bay is significantly different than the E30 so what fits the E30 will not fit an E36.
    To me, this sounds about right. When you say with an E30 manifold, do you mean exhaust or intake? I thought that the exhaust headers were the same between the M42/4. I figured that the tuning would be an issue, but I may be able to source that.

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
    The tuning on the m44 would be the biggest issue...and hard to say if the turbo placement would work (I assume it would).
    As far as turbo placement goes, could I possibly get the dimensions of how far out the headers and turbo combined reach from the engine? Possibly how much space it takes up vertically as well? I would be very grateful!

Leave a comment:

• jakeb
    replied
    The tuning on the m44 would be the biggest issue...and hard to say if the turbo placement would work (I assume it would).

Leave a comment:

• wazzu70
    replied
    It would fit an M44 swapped into an E30 with an E30 manifold. You would be on your own for tuning though as the ECU is different.

The E36 engine bay is significantly different than the E30 so what fits the E30 will not fit an E36.

Leave a comment:

• thomas88162
    replied
    I noticed that a while back, somebody asked if this kit would/could fit the M44 as well. I never did find an answer to his question, and I am wondering the same thing. I have searched heavily for a suitable, quality F/I kit; this kit is the only one that I would be willing to buy from the looks of the quality of any other alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• BimmerJones
    replied
    I just wanted to update everyone, on the progress of my car. Still no dyno numbers as of yet, but I've had this kit running stong for 3-4 months now with no issues. I burnt up the stock clutch and just threw in a lightweight flywheel and upgraded spec clutch. I love this car, I added a manual boost controller for the time being and it helped my spool time and the overall smoothness of the powerband. I'll be dynoing once I do a head gasket and studs and turn the boost up to 15 psi. Good luck to everyone doing this! Best decision I ever made for me E30.

Leave a comment:

• rasjgo1
    replied
    Bump
    What good
    How r web looking

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• irish44j
    replied
    thanks guys... As Brad said I don't personally have a turboed m42 car right now. Soon my 2002 with an m42 will be turboed but right now it is NA.

There also isn't a dyno within 90miles of me. My buddy with the e21 has talked about having his car dynoed but it isn't high on his list.
    tell ya what, just send one of your kits my way and I'll be happy to dyno it before AND after, for free ;)

But on a serious note, I don't much care about dyno, personally. I'm interested primarily because with 9psi, regardless of whether it give 30hp or 60hp or more, doesn't much matter. There's nothing that I can put in this car for <$1500 that will substantially increase the M42's power while still keeping the 4-cyl engine weight distribution relatively intact vs. dropping a six up there (no thanks.....).

That and I can use the kit on my soon-to-be M42 e21 as well :)
    Last edited by irish44j; 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ma.jomaa
    replied
    thanks for the review man. I couldn't agree more! I love the m42 in my 02...mine will be getting a turbo soon (and mocked up for others).

btw, your swap looks great!
    you bet man it's all true, I definetly look forward to that bolt on turbo kit, I can only imagine what the 02 is going to feel like with a turbo. though I gotta get my priorities straight and sell the 323 and finish the damn 02 to daily drive. I know that you did an 02 with m42+AC I will probably have some questions for ya when I get to that point as AC is a must in Socal Heat. And thank you for the compliment, I need to get one of COP kits do you happen to have one ready?

Leave a comment:

• jakeb
    replied
    Originally posted by ma.jomaa View Post
    An m42 in a 2002 is the best bang for the buck for getting an 02 to modern day power; while retaining Fuel economy,drivability, and ease of maitenance(it took me literraly 15 minutes to change the starter on my m42 in 02, vs 30 minutes to change it on an m10). I have one of Jake's m42 kits in my 02 project and I can tell you that it was the best decision I've made. I thought about doing an SR20det swap which would have involved a ton of fabrication(money pit as I gave the car to shop to do the swap), then a honda F20c which has been done a few times but the cost was around $8,000-$9,000, and then I talked to Jake after seeing his thread with the turbo m42 02 and was convinced that it's the best engine in an 02(m20 owners like to argue that point but I believe an 02 was built for a 4 banger not an m20). An NA m42 in an 02 is plenty for daily driving, ad a turbo to the equation(which i will hopefully be doing next year) and you got yourself S14 power territory with a more street friendly power band, for a fraction of the cost(please note I'm not hating on the S14 as I would love to have one, but I'm just saying this is a great budget friendly alternative). I'll end my rant by saying Jake is a great guy who offers fantastic product at a very reasonable cost.

thanks for the review man. I couldn't agree more! I love the m42 in my 02...mine will be getting a turbo soon (and mocked up for others).

btw, your swap looks great!

Leave a comment:

• ma.jomaa
    replied
    Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
    On a more serious note, how do you like your 2002 m42? Been putting serious thought into ditching the e39 for a 2002 m42 dd.
    An m42 in a 2002 is the best bang for the buck for getting an 02 to modern day power; while retaining Fuel economy,drivability, and ease of maitenance(it took me literraly 15 minutes to change the starter on my m42 in 02, vs 30 minutes to change it on an m10). I have one of Jake's m42 kits in my 02 project and I can tell you that it was the best decision I've made. I thought about doing an SR20det swap which would have involved a ton of fabrication(money pit as I gave the car to shop to do the swap), then a honda F20c which has been done a few times but the cost was around $8,000-$9,000, and then I talked to Jake after seeing his thread with the turbo m42 02 and was convinced that it's the best engine in an 02(m20 owners like to argue that point but I believe an 02 was built for a 4 banger not an m20). An NA m42 in an 02 is plenty for daily driving, ad a turbo to the equation(which i will hopefully be doing next year) and you got yourself S14 power territory with a more street friendly power band, for a fraction of the cost(please note I'm not hating on the S14 as I would love to have one, but I'm just saying this is a great budget friendly alternative). I'll end my rant by saying Jake is a great guy who offers fantastic product at a very reasonable cost.

Last edited by ma.jomaa; 12-10-2013, 01:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    A dyno pull(s) is around $150 here, $70 if you get in on a group dyno day. Just to give an idea on cost.

If you are interested in a standalone IMO be prepared to want to know how to tune it and learn it in and out. Its fairly time consuming and can be aggrivating at times. It is also fun and rewarding learning everything....but you have to want to learn and put in the effort. Just getting a "plug and play" unit and thinking thats going to work fantastic out of the box will leave you disappointed.

If I was hooking up a standalone for someone I would say as a rough ballpark price to set aside $1500 for the unit, sensors, wiring, time, ect.
    That cost is about right in NH too.

Leave a comment:

• jrockbk
    replied
    Yes a standalone is doable but that is a completly different setup than what this kit is meant to be. It's a low boost, bolt on it.

The cost depends on what standalone you want.... Would you want it pre tuned?
    i would want a basic pretuned ecu setup for pump gas and AFM delete since they are prone to go bad, can use cheap Ford MAF.

Leave a comment:

• wazzu70
    replied
    Originally posted by chodedub View Post
    Wow we get dyno pulls at $40 a pop here or $60 an hour with tuning help
    Yeah, prices vary all over. This is Seattle area pricing so its probably more expensive than less populated areas :)

Leave a comment:

• TheTacoMan
    replied
    Originally posted by randomtask37 View Post
    If you could mock an m20 kit and figure how to keep power steering and AC I would REALLY be interested
    Not trying to take away from this thread, but kamotors is offering a turbo kit for the m20.

Leave a comment:

• chodedub
    replied
    A dyno pull(s) is around $150 here, $70 if you get in on a group dyno day. Just to give an idea on cost.

If you are interested in a standalone IMO be prepared to want to know how to tune it and learn it in and out. Its fairly time consuming and can be aggrivating at times. It is also fun and rewarding learning everything....but you have to want to learn and put in the effort. Just getting a "plug and play" unit and thinking thats going to work fantastic out of the box will leave you disappointed.

If I was hooking up a standalone for someone I would say as a rough ballpark price to set aside $1500 for the unit, sensors, wiring, time, ect.
    Wow we get dyno pulls at $40 a pop here or $60 an hour with tuning help

Leave a comment:

Working...
X