m42 serpentine belt conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m42 serpentine belt conversion

Who else here has done this or attempted it?
    I'm lazy so this will take the guesswork out of tensioning the belt and getting it ready in case I buy a DASC.

Went to the local junkyard to pull the timing cover to upgrade to the deflection plate. Got all the accessories... power steering pump, a/c compressor, alternator, harmonic balancer and tensioner brackets. Was unable to get the crank nut off so ordering the crank holder tool (auto tranny so was unable to pin the flywheel). Will have to go back for that at a later date. Cost so far with taxes, fees, and core charges. $190.00.
    Future cost...
    No belts and they wanted to charge me for the idle pulleys so I gave those back. 2x new belts $27, 3x idle pulleys oem $130. Freon?

Haven't done it but its on my list of things to do. Following this to see your progress.

Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk
    Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
    LED Bulb Thread
    R6 LED Review

Comment

Interesting, Would that free up some parasitic drag? I'm gonna do the late timing cover at some point, this might be a good upgrade for when I do that.
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

After thinking about it, I did meet a guy with a 2002 that swapped in an M42. He made the switch so he use the Mini supercharger bolted to it!!! 😁

This kit here!! http://www.gkdsportscars.com/supercharger-kit.html

Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk
        Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
        LED Bulb Thread
        R6 LED Review

Comment

This is on my list of to-do's. In order to do the job you need everything from the front of an m44. This includes different alternator pulley, bracket and tensioner.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Doesn't the late E36 M42 have a serpentine already?

Edit- I looked, and it does. Also no funky sprocket inside the timing chain cover.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Hmm, I guess that I would need a custom belt since I don't have AC anymore. I have thought about this a few times, and in some ways I like the original multiple-belt setup. There was an incident where the end seals on my steering rack blew out (as I was parking for a dinner date with the woman who is now my wife lol), so I just grabbed some heavy dykes from the trunk and chopped the PS belt off so the pump would not run dry.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I've thought about doing this as well but have a hard time seeing a huge advantage unless you were to be supercharging. Aren't the serp belt pulleys heavier, thus adding parasitic drag to the motor? Obviously the set up would be a bit more modern and robust but I've only had 1 alternator belt failure in like 7 years (my fault anyway)

Edit: I think it's worth noting I don't run power steering and have the whole system deleted
                Last edited by Balleristic31; 01-20-2016, 07:54 PM.

-NICK

Comment

AC has its own v- belt on the later E36. Everything else loops around the serpentine, including
                  the power steering...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                  X