Diff problem need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff problem need help

Hey I have 168 Lsd on my e30 and did a cheeky burnout today but afterwards it started acting like a welded diff, when i do a sharp turn it makes a loud clunking noise and feels like a welded diff, when jacking it up on one side i can spin the wheel half a turn freely then it locks up, with both wheels in the air both wheels spin in same direction without problems, anyone know what couldve happened?

Sounds like you need to get the diff out of the car and opened up on a bench. You could try pulling the cover with it on the car too. Either way, something sounds like it has expired in there and I'd do a proper inspection before trying to drive it more since having it seize up could result in damage to the driveshaft or axles.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Probably grenaded the spider gears if it's a 168
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Get that thing out of the car or stop driving it before it fails, which could cause a crash. As for seizing, I wouldn't worry about the driveshaft or axles too much, I think it would have to lock up at WOT and peak torque for it to damage anything before of the diff because of the amount of lash in the driveline and the guibo, and the tires will be the fuse outboard of it. I'd worry more about how unsafe having the rear wheels lock up suddenly is. Personal experience.
        Last edited by varg; 07-14-2020, 06:06 AM.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
        X