From Boost to Reliable. M62b44 Swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAN this is awesome!
    91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
    ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Long overdue update.

And finally first start! Heading down there this weekend to work on her! Already have a trackday at Road Atlanta lined up for the summer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUNARqCudX0
      Last edited by Zacm829; 04-21-2016, 12:24 PM.
      1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

What'd you end up doing about the CPS?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
          What'd you end up doing about the CPS?
          For the crank position sensor we ended up welding an m60 bracket on the m62 cover, got the spacing for the sensor from the m60 with a feeler gauge.

1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Love it

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Started tacking up the exhaust. 409 stainless is so nice to work with!

First Test drive. Mattdk driving!

Last edited by Zacm829; 03-15-2016, 05:01 PM.
              1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

That sound is amazing! Exhaust is looking good. How does the 409 weld different from 304?
                Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
                  For the crank position sensor we ended up welding an m60 bracket on the m62 cover, got the spacing for the sensor from the m60 with a feeler gauge.

Sorry, forgot to respond. I can't say with 100% certainty but I think I was referring to the Cam Position Sensor- at one point you mentioned it was contacting the sensor. Did you guys just bend it back a bit more?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                    Sorry, forgot to respond. I can't say with 100% certainty but I think I was referring to the Cam Position Sensor- at one point you mentioned it was contacting the sensor. Did you guys just bend it back a bit more?
                    Yes, we modified the cam sensor wheel by cutting off the extra tabs. MonkeyMadness provided some guidance on this.

this video shows you how to convert the cam pickup rings from an older BMW 740 to a newr OBD2 (96- 740/540) We chose to do this rather than swapping the engi...

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...version/page14
                    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Got the v8 to idle correctly after chasing some vacuum leaks. Installed the SSSquid m62 obd1 chip and the car runs great. Idle is smooth and quiet especially with open headers. Still need to finish up exhaust and some other odds and ends.

Here is a quick shot of the car idling with no exhaust.
                      Last edited by Zacm829; 03-15-2016, 08:04 PM.
                      1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Exhaust complete!

2.5 inch 409 stainless steel all chopped and tig welded. 2.5->x pipe->vibrant resonators->Spintech dual in/out.

Last edited by Zacm829; 04-20-2016, 11:12 AM.
                        1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

That exhaust it tits, awesome craftswomanship. I like the stealthy nature and how properly tucked it is. I think you might get a little resonation with the tip pointed straight down like dat waffleswaffleswaffles.
                          Originally posted by Andy.B
                          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                          1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
                            Got the v8 to idle correctly after chasing some vacuum leaks. Installed the SSSquid m62 obd1 chip and the car runs great. Idle is smooth and quiet especially with open headers. Still need to finish up exhaust and some other odds and ends.

Here is a quick shot of the car idling with no exhaust.
                            https://youtu.be/kf4F5t5Yc28

How do you like the chip? Notice any difference? Thx

Comment

Originally posted by joshw02 View Post
                              How do you like the chip? Notice any difference? Thx
                              Love the chip, smoothed out the idle noticeably. Had the car on the road once or twice and the v8 was seamless in the higher rpms. Great customer service as well. I recommend SSSquid.
                              1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

This is a great project, and I hope you keep the video clips coming with good sound! ;)

I also can't wait to find out if this ends up being a reliable setup like you expect. I have my doubts about that part, but interesting to see if an M62 can be reliable when it's in a much simpler vehicle than they are normally found in.

Comment

Working...
                                X