No announcement yet.

My M60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a few people who swap them into Supras and S13/14/15, but pretty much everything that gets done to those engines is custom.

Comment

Ha thanks for the inspirational words MJCRO, the engine I'm picking up is a Chevy 350, running with all accessories for $400 off CL
      I plan on doing a full tear down with new rings, bearings, a cam and a Holley carb.
      My auto shop teacher is a big Chevy guy who has built many racing engines talked me into this
      That 1uz does look cool though
      sigpic'89 325i
      M60 swap in progress

Comment

Don't go carb... There are more EFI options for Chevies than you can count (even if you can count pretty high)

Comment

well the 350 i was about to pick up sold and its very difficult to find a manual transmission for it. i looked at a few ls1s and t56s on CL but they were way over my budget. i watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ICOEpOc3g and now i want an m60 again :(
          i should have figured this crap out BEFORE i ripped my m20 out..
          sigpic'89 325i
          M60 swap in progress

Comment

IMNSHO, an M60 will be MUCH easier to swap into an E30 than a Chevy would be. Heck, you can *BUY* the mount arms to bolt the engine into the bay.

Comment

Same for the 5.0.... *cough*cough* ;)

Just kidding though. Fuck the 5.0, wouldn't be my first choice again. I would also skip out on the older gen sbc's too - not when you can get the 5.3's from the newer trucks for so cheap. The really nice thing about those engines is the heads that come with them - they're pretty much the same as LS1 heads and they flow better than most aftermarket heads.

I think the LS series mounts fit the 5.3 block - you'll still need a t56 though, and those still aren't cheap.

Comment

The 5.3's are nice and cheap, and I would definitely pick one of those over an old 350, but each will be equally painful to swap into an E30. For example, what oil pan would you use? The M60 pan fits almost like a glove.

There really isn't a 5 speed for a reasonable price that can handle the torque that a small block or LS engine makes. The TKO is pretty expensive. The NV3500 is a truck transmission and shifts like it, from what I'm told.

Go with the M60 and ZF 5 speed to get started.

Comment

Upon looking at the price if the TKO and I don't think an NV3500 would even fit, I'm going back to the m60.. Now I just need to find one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                  sigpic'89 325i
                  M60 swap in progress

Comment

Comment

Why not do what many do? Buy a donor car (just do a comp test beforehand) at least you'll know it runs, right?

Granted, 5/6 speed 540's aren't that common in the states, but I'm assuming you have a tranny already?

Comment

How much $ did you get the m60 for the first time from LKQ?

instagram : @whoismaxjulien

Comment

Yea maybe I should start looking for donor cars too..I don't have a transmission yet. I'm looking for a 5 speed but if I can't find one, I already have a lead on a 6

sigpic'89 325i
                          M60 swap in progress

Comment

Originally posted by whoismaxjulien View Post
                            How much $ did you get the m60 for the first time from LKQ?

instagram : @whoismaxjulien
                            It was like 650 with the trans

sigpic'89 325i
                            M60 swap in progress

Comment

Point of order:

I bought the 5 speed for my swap for $250 with 90K miles via car-part.com

I bought the M62 for my swap for $800 with 90K miles via Craigslist locally.

My motor has excellent compression and the transmission is clean, no leaks, nothing worn. Shop carefully. Buying a whole car to get parts you need is swell until you realize that selling off what's left may take longer than you have time for, and until it is sold you have all this "crap" to move around.

With that said, are you interested in a 5 series brake booster setup complete? I ended up going with Wilwood.
                              sigpic

Velocity Motor Works

1972 2002
                              1983 533is
                              1987 325is (Roxanne)
                              1988 M6
                              1989 M3
                              1989 325ix (Darth Maul)

Gone: 1974 2002, 1984 318i , 1985 318i, 1988 325ix Sedan, 1988 325ix Coupe, 1991 318is, 1991 318i, 1994 525iT, 1995 325is, 1996 M3 Coupe, 1997 328is, 2001 325i, 2001 Z3 2.5i, 2001 330i, 2001 525iT, 2006 F-250 SD and more...

Comment

Small update: since I don't have an engine I figured I could at least get the car ready for one. I've been doing a lot of sanding and grinding..bondo and paint next!

sigpic'89 325i
                                M60 swap in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X