No announcement yet.

5.3 LS Swap into 91 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of the magnum, why not grab a t56 from a LS or LT1 engine and save some $$$? I bought one for $1500 that came out of a wrecked car. It came with a clutch and flywheel as well. It was a gamble as i later found that the case and tail shaft needed replacement, but that was an extra $300 off ebay. I have not rebuilt it, but the plan is to grab the dodge viper output shaft (raises torque rating to 550 ft lbs) and replace the synchros with really nice ones for better shifting. I have seen similar ones sold for $2500.

Comment

My buddy is doing the AR5 pontiac solstice transmission swap on his.
      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
        Instead of the magnum, why not grab a t56 from a LS or LT1 engine and save some $$$? I bought one for $1500 that came out of a wrecked car. It came with a clutch and flywheel as well. It was a gamble as i later found that the case and tail shaft needed replacement, but that was an extra $300 off ebay. I have not rebuilt it, but the plan is to grab the dodge viper output shaft (raises torque rating to 550 ft lbs) and replace the synchros with really nice ones for better shifting. I have seen similar ones sold for $2500.
        Mostly just to avoid all of the hassle of having to worry about rebuilding it. Torque rating is 700lb-ft so I'll have an abundance of headroom and has wider gears than factory T-56 for better contact.

Either way, I plan on running a Monster Clutch/flywheel setup. Even if something came with a clutch, if it wasn't brand new, I'd want to throw a new one in there lol. It's going to shift great out of the crate and I'm not going to have worry about it being a weak link at all. If I'm going to spend $2500 on a used T56, which is the price I'm seeing within 300 miles, I'll just spend the extra bit and run with the brand new Magnum. I'm also running on the hearsay of many people claiming it's 'the smoothest transmission they've ever shifted.' I'm sure I'll convince myself to feel that way after I spend the money too :D

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
        My buddy is doing the AR5 pontiac solstice transmission swap on his.
        Yeah, that was another route I investigated, but I want a 6 speed.Those things are stupid inexpensive. Apparently the more sought after AR5 for swap purposes is the slingshot trans.
        Last edited by DividedBeing; 02-21-2020, 03:33 PM.
        91 318i LS Swap In Progress - Build Thread

Divided Being Motorsports - Youtube Channel / Build Log

www.dividedbeing.com

Successful Transactions With : AWDBOB

Comment

Instead of using the monster clutch/flywheel go with a RPS Lightened Carbon Twin Disc, its a superior clutch.
          First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
            Instead of using the monster clutch/flywheel go with a RPS Lightened Carbon Twin Disc, its a superior clutch.
            Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one, but that kit appears to be like $2000+ https://www.turboclutch.com/Pages/RPS%20ST%20Full.htm

Assuming that's the correct kit you're talking about, I'm not going to be able to swing that at this point even though it looks like a badass setup.

This is what I've been looking at: https://www.tickperformance.com/mons...-capacity-700/

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Yes, that's the one clutch I was talking about but it does carry a a heavy price tag. I haven't looked too much into the tick clutch because I been wanting to get the RPS clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
                Yes, that's the one clutch I was talking about but it does carry a a heavy price tag. I haven't looked too much into the tick clutch because I been wanting to get the RPS clutch.
                I'll have to look into it more. Looks like a really nice setup though. My plan is to get everything running, let things break that are going to break, and upgrade as stuff breaks.
                The trans, holley terminator ecu, and the suspension are where I'm really splurging on this car to begin with.

New video hot off the grill. Extra sloppy for ya. I know how you guys like 'em sloppy.
                I found another source for no copyright music I can stand, and thank god because I was getting tired of using the same five tracks.

E30 LS Swap - (Part 11) - Sloppy Stage 2 Cam Install - Extra Sloppy

Click image for larger version  Name:	cover.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	9907273

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Originally posted by DividedBeing View Post

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one, but that kit appears to be like $2000+ https://www.turboclutch.com/Pages/RPS%20ST%20Full.htm

Assuming that's the correct kit you're talking about, I'm not going to be able to swing that at this point even though it looks like a badass setup.

This is what I've been looking at: https://www.tickperformance.com/mons...-capacity-700/

Quartermaster https://www.quartermasterusa.com/qm/clutches
                  and
                  Powertrain Technologies https://www.powertraintech.com/

Can both set up 7.25" dual organic disk clutches. Tilton probably has a better engineered product, but they don't like to sell dual organic units. They'll sell you one that's one organic + one cerametallic, though.

The 7.25" units are the most tunable on the market, from single disk to three or even four, multiple spring strengths, etc. All the companies in that market will have a bolt-in system for the LS/T56 combo. Hell, Tilton even has bolt-in dual disk setups for BMW 24V engine/transmission combos.

Comment

Or just run an LS7 clutch and flywheel and call it a day. Also, why do you want a 6 speed just to say the car is a 6 speed? 6th gear is pretty worthless and I'm running a 4.10 rear.
                    1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                    COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

Quartermaster https://www.quartermasterusa.com/qm/clutches
                      and
                      Powertrain Technologies https://www.powertraintech.com/

Can both set up 7.25" dual organic disk clutches. Tilton probably has a better engineered product, but they don't like to sell dual organic units. They'll sell you one that's one organic + one cerametallic, though.

The 7.25" units are the most tunable on the market, from single disk to three or even four, multiple spring strengths, etc. All the companies in that market will have a bolt-in system for the LS/T56 combo. Hell, Tilton even has bolt-in dual disk setups for BMW 24V engine/transmission combos.
                      Thanks for the tips man. And wow, that quartermaster stuff looks really nice. Going to have to check into the product lineup from both of those places.

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                      Or just run an LS7 clutch and flywheel and call it a day. Also, why do you want a 6 speed just to say the car is a 6 speed? 6th gear is pretty worthless and I'm running a 4.10 rear.
                      With the fact that I plan on running a turbo and beating on the car, a stronger clutch setup makes sense to me.
                      As far as a monster stage 3 vs the ls7 clutch goes, it's not much of a price difference. I've also read about the LS7 clutch coughing dust on everything and screwing up the slave cylinder.

Also, the main reason I'm going for the T56 Magnum is the strength and headroom I'll have to build on the motor without worrying about my transmission turning into a box of rocks. And again, I've read about the fact that the shift feel is really nice which is gravy.
                      The 6 gears are going to be awesome for the highways around here. I have to drive at least an hour to get anywhere fun from where I'm at, and being able to drop the revs down with the 6th gear .64 ratio and save gas in this gas pig I'm building will be great.
                      Not to mention the overall drone/vibration in the car will be nice to calm down on longer drives.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

As far as a monster stage 3 vs the ls7 clutch goes, it's not much of a price difference. I've also read about the LS7 clutch coughing dust on everything and screwing up the slave cylinder.
                        The LS7 clutch is the factory clutch for an engine that makes 500 ftlbs, so it's capacity is higher than that.
                        Also, those ceramet pucked disks are NOT friendly to drive. They're friendliER than sintered iron, but still not very nice to drive on the street. That's why I brought up the organic dual disk 7.25" units.

Comment

I have an ls7 clutch and I would not recommend it because its heavy and I get locked out of gear at high rpm if I don't bleed the fluid often.

Comment

Oh, the joys of bleeding a hydraulic throw out bearing.

The ZF and Getrag 260 (not 250 or 240) proven over and over reliability in BMW chassis, is short, light, and close ratio, too bad it's a mission to attach to a USDM market v8.

Many people don't know Getrag were available for many vehicles, including the dohc 60v6 GM cars, many Dodges, MB's, VAG, heavy trucks etc. Just Google "Getrag death rattle" for quick and dirty cross references.They never liked light flywheels, even 45 yr ago.

Will knows this too, and might even add a tidbit about the 284 and 282 variants of the transverse applications in GM cars/trucks.

One thing I can add is the Tremec 6 speed, is they are pretty stout, and can take some serious TQ, but I come from WC t5 days. :( Doesn't take much research being ls1tech type forums to browse what the big HP guys are doing. Problem us it is LONG and HEAVY. First time I picked one up by hand to put on a lift, was "this is worse than an AUTO."

john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

After deliberation over the last few days and some discussions with a few guys who have LS Swaps, I decided I'm going the extra mile (read: wallet melting route) and buying a T-56 Magnum.
                              My primary reason for considering the GS6-53BZ was because of replacability, since buying a used T-56 without having it rebuilt is a major gamble IMO. A used T-56 is anywhere from $1800-$2500 typically. The T-56 Magnum is $3195 brand new.
                              Speedway Motorsports has free shipping on the Ford version. I'm hoping I can convince them to offer free shipping on the LS version, but I might be able to find free shipping elsewhere.

Good call on the crate T56 magnum. Hard to beat for the price. I put one behind a 525hp LS3 crate engine with a LS7 clutch setup. The clutch feels great, and it shifts nice. Maybe a bit more notchy than I'd want for daily driving around town, but not as bad as some of the BMW short shift kits I've felt. It's very precise, you know what gear you're going in. There is zero slop whatsoever.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                              e30 restoration and V8 swap
                              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post

Good call on the crate T56 magnum. Hard to beat for the price. I put one behind a 525hp LS3 crate engine with a LS7 clutch setup. The clutch feels great, and it shifts nice. Maybe a bit more notchy than I'd want for daily driving around town, but not as bad as some of the BMW short shift kits I've felt. It's very precise, you know what gear you're going in. There is zero slop whatsoever.
                                What's that combo going into?

Comment

Working...
                                X