No Tech to High Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Tech to High Tech

Well, I decided to preserve my faithful 1988 325is and went from no tech to a high tech soccer “granddad” SUV on steroids; a X3 M40i.

I had the X3 M40 the other day as a loaner. Its a really nice SAV, handled way better than I expected. It drove way smaller than it is. Good luck, nice pickup.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

congrats on the new ride!

My 91 coupe got totaled, so I decided to pick up a '14 335i. HUGE difference and really nice to commute in! It also means that I can take better care of my 89 sedan and keep it a little safer.

Enjoy the new tech!
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Sheesh. And I thought an E46 was a modern car.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I know a lot of the modern cars get shit on, but to be honest some are pretty good. They are safer, faster, and way more comfortable. What they lose though is a sense of connection. I sold my E38 and I have a new 750i. The car is immeasurably better in every single aspect except one, connection/feel. I still enjoyed driving the E38 way better than the G12.

That being said there are still some Gems in the lineups. The X3 M40 is a really good SAV, the M2 is awesome as well.

At this point, the E30's are not great daily drivers unless you are staying local, short drives. It's not how they drive, it's a safety thing. When I am on the highway with these giant cars and trucks, my small no airbag tin can feels really scary sometimes.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            Sheesh. And I thought an E46 was a modern car.

t
            F30's are now an "OLD" car to most people in the real world.

I haven't daily'd an E30 in a while. And I would again short term. Its hard on a car...

But I actually have an I3 spec'd out. Gas burner, Rolling coal (Kentucky power plants), and lithium mining.

All jokes aside, my 318Ti daily is due for a replacement, cant rust out a carbon tub. I guess wont be able to crush it for metal either...

But I do lust some more comfort dailying a modern car. Wind noise, less noise... Bass in the stereo, New airbags.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I got an e39 last year, its a 528 M52 manual car and I quite enjoy driving it daily. It is an “old guy” car though, I joke about it and call it my Buick. It’s quiet, has safety stuff in it.

My wife has taken a liking to the e46, it’s a manual car too. She thinks she will sell her ‘17 Escape titanium sport back to the dealer to finance another e46 for herself.

I’m sure the new BMW/s are nice but it’s not something we reach for.
              My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
              I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

F30's are now an "OLD" car to most people in the real world.

I haven't daily'd an E30 in a while. And I would again short term. Its hard on a car...
                Yeah, its crazy that to me, my f30 is a spaceship. To most people its just an "older" BMW.

Also, it's hard on a car? How about it being hard on the driver?!? I DD'd my coupe for the last 4 months before it got totaled. Even in the Bay where it didn't get above 70F, the car was still hot (no AC). It was loud. It was low, stiff, and uncomfortable (H&R Race springs). I had to drive it at 90% of what it could do to keep up with traffic.

I feel like I'm going to want to keep DD'ing a fun car, but build a crazy e30 for when I want to go have some fun.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

The E30 is way to nice to sell and a lot fun to drive. I was advised by friends to insure it with Hagerty since they provide a wide range of options from taking to a show to daily driver; I insured it at a stated value of $18K with occasional driving. It was significantly lower than having only liability under my prime carrier for the new X3 and my wife's Acura; about $600. Also my insurance for the new X3 was not much more than the E30, but with full coverage.

I do know one thing for sure, my E30 will be worth more than the X3 in a couple of years; I just need to have it repainted to make it really nice since I put over 100k commuting to work. Also, M brakes are cool until you see the price of the rotors and pads!

Only other car I wish I still owned was my 1997 M3; a driver not paying attention rear ended it totaling the car.

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Yeah, its crazy that to me, my f30 is a spaceship. To most people its just an "older" BMW.

Also, it's hard on a car? How about it being hard on the driver?!? I DD'd my coupe for the last 4 months before it got totaled. Even in the Bay where it didn't get above 70F, the car was still hot (no AC). It was loud. It was low, stiff, and uncomfortable (H&R Race springs). I had to drive it at 90% of what it could do to keep up with traffic.

I feel like I'm going to want to keep DD'ing a fun car, but build a crazy e30 for when I want to go have some fun.
                    F25 X3 is similar. Honestly, it feels a lot like a Hyundai to me. Meh. But it gets the job done, shares a lot of parts with my other cars (N52 FTW!), and I know how to work on it if I have to. Plus because it wasn't TURBO!!, it was cheaper than everything else, lol.

As far as dailying the E30, yeah, you definitely could do it. I mean, it was my only car for many years. But it was hard to keep it "nice" while driving it every day, or even impossible. I never get the "I have to drive so fast to keep up with traffic" thing, but that might be the slower pace in the PNW - on the other hand, spending hours in the E30 on the freeway every day would be painful. Then again, spending hours a day in any car on the freeway would suck too. Even pre-pandemic, my commute was only 10-15 minutes..

I drive it as often as I want to - usually to drop the kids off at school, or when I can take back roads etc. But if I'm just headed to the hardware store and it's hot outside? nah, I'll take the newer cars all day. The E90 330i 6mt is actually pretty fun anyway - just in a different kind of way from the E30.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Only drag commuting is the bumper to bumper traffic; always a nightmare on the San Francisco area. I always went to work early (5:30am) and made sure I was out on the road before the big jam.

Comment

Working...
                      X