Any way to test ABS system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way to test ABS system?

I have a 1989 BMW 325i w/ m50. The ABS system is complete, but does not work, I can lock up the brakes and skid. I do not have any error lights, and I do not think the ABS system was affected by the swap wiring. Is there any way to test the various ABS system components for function, or do you just have to replace? On the other hand, if system is not functional, is there any legit and safe way to delete ABS. Last I looked into it you could just remove the pump, and connect all those lines together with a custom adapter, or just get replacement custom lines made.

Originally posted by CMG View Post
    I have a 1989 BMW 325i w/ m50. The ABS system is complete, but does not work, I can lock up the brakes and skid. I do not have any error lights, and I do not think the ABS system was affected by the swap wiring. Is there any way to test the various ABS system components for function, or do you just have to replace? On the other hand, if system is not functional, is there any legit and safe way to delete ABS. Last I looked into it you could just remove the pump, and connect all those lines together with a custom adapter, or just get replacement custom lines made.
    it's easy to test on the car. find a patch of ice lol.

Comment

If it skids, it's not working. You can feel it and hear it when it kicks in. The ABS bulb is probably burnt out or removed. Not complex systems but no flashing light tests exist AFAIK, unlike American cars. https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...=2#post6384143

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

After getting my pump rebuilt from Jordan, I found a large patch of grass and then would go in a straight line at 20mph, hit the brakes hard and the pedal will modulate when you get under 10mph. It will be obvious if it kicks it.
        Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Thanks for link. More info on pump rebuild from Jordan please.

Comment

Yes. Throw it in the neighbor's pool.

If it sinks, it's doing what it's best at. Leave it there.
            If it floats, it's a witch, and should be burned.

If you're serious about wanting ABS, the MK60 from the E46 was once available as a retrofit...

t
            has seen too many 'ice mode' videos. Imagine, if you will, your car without any brakes...
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by CMG View Post
              Thanks for link. More info on pump rebuild from Jordan please.
              Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
              BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                Yes. Throw it in the neighbor's pool.

If it sinks, it's doing what it's best at. Leave it there.
                If it floats, it's a witch, and should be burned.

If you're serious about wanting ABS, the MK60 from the E46 was once available as a retrofit...

t
                has seen too many 'ice mode' videos. Imagine, if you will, your car without any brakes...
                This is hilarious! especially the witch part

but seriously... This happened to me and is happening again. It was an ABS wheel speed sensor, aka Pulse Generator. It puts it into some kind of "ice mode" if it's not reading correctly. I just bought a used one from e30partsonline, he's usually in the classified section. Just a thought.

Part numbers:
                34521178981 Front Left
                34521178982 Front Right
                34521155041 Rear​

Here was my thread where the answer came from the famous jlevie
                Last edited by Hoffbrohaus; 04-20-2023, 03:06 PM.
                '90 325is

Comment

In my cars that have ABS, I have only used it like 2-3 times in last 10 years. I also have much faster cars without ABS so not having it is kinda normal for me. I would prefer to delete it actually, but having a modified/jury rigged ABS delete is way more scary to me than just not having ABS.

Comment

Working...
                  X