Power steering pump groaning after rack swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering pump groaning after rack swap

I completed a steering rack swap on my E30...to an E36 rack.
    I replaced the power steering hoses and reservoir, new ATF fluid.
    With the wheels off the ground; was able to get all the air out of the system.
    Dropped to the ground though, the power steering pump is groaning now, basically
    turning the wheel even a few degrees either way.

Anyone else have this happen after a swap?
    There was no noise prior.

I'm thinking that the pump needs to be replaced, however was wondering if the seal kit
    could fix the issue? There are no leaks anywhere as the fluid level remains constant.
    Strange thing I found is if I try and pump the air out at the reservoir (with a hand pump)
    I should be able to draw out and hold pressure...I can't create pressure at all...
    IOW I have an internal leak in the system, maybe through the vanes in the pump?

any thoughts...

Thanks in advance

I had a similar issue, which turned out to be a hose clamp that was just torqued out at the reservoir, and not exhibiting a leak. Triple check all of your connections once again before replacing parts.

Comment

mmm, i'm using the Chase Bays kit...they use these AN fittings that can rotate to make it easier to route the lines...i noticed i can still move the smaller line of the two at the reservoir.
      Tried re-tightening it but it still swivels....thought that was normal, but from your post, maybe not. Perhaps that's why not able to sustain pressure, maybe the leak is small enough to not allow fluid to drip out but big enough to allow air to leak into the system.
      Thanks, will try the tightening process again.

Just so odd that there was no noise before and I even had a leaking low pressure line before

Comment

For me, the clamp was either worn out at the position or I over tightened it. Once I replaced it all was well.

Comment

I've had them groan like that before to start with. After starting the engine, with the wheels on the ground, turn the wheel full travel both ways to the stops. Do this several times.

Mine cleared up after doing that.

Comment

As posted above, proper bleeding method is to remove cap and while car is on the ground and on, rotate the steering wheel lock to lock a few times. Make sure to add fluid if needed.
            Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
            BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

The replies give me hope that it's not a bad pump. Going to try all the steps again and report back

Comment

I posted a similar thread a few months ago and one of the suggestions was to make sure there are no kinks in the PS hoses.

Cory
                1992 325i Cabrio
                1988 320i Touring
                2000 M5
                1977 530i
                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                BMWCCA
                E30CCA

Comment

Checked all the connections, routing of the hoses, tried the lock to lock on the ground with cap off (for a long time) . Went for a long drive...love the feel of the E36 rack BTW (from a 98 323) just feels normal when turning, instead of the school bus feel.
                  The noise is exactly the same with the fluid heated up...groans pretty loud in the cabin when you turn the wheel off centre...almost like it's more loud inside than with hood up listening for it outside.
                  Could it be something else all together; maybe the added strain of the power steering pump is amplifying some other noise...there is no noise when the wheels are off the ground...you'd think there would be some noise even then.
                  Maybe it's the belt slipping? That should cause more of a screeching sound though and I didn't remove the pump or touch the belt.

I have a feeling this will remain a mystery and that I will just have to live with it.

Comment

Adjusted the belt...no change
                    I hear the noise real loud if I put my ear to the steering wheel...almost like the noise is from the rack and not the pump.
                    Noise goes up and down with the revs.
                    I traced the lines; high pressure is the top one, that should be correct.

Comment

How much fluid do you see in the reservoir when the engine is running?

Comment

Yes, I can see the fluid level while turning the wheel (reaching through the window)
                        The level is constant and clear...did see the bubbles come up at first so thought the air must be out.
                        I tried doing a lock to lock with the engine off, wheels off the ground, cap off; the fluid level rises and spills out easily...when it rises up, have to stop the turning, then it drops back down.

Comment

Is the fluid very foamy or just bubbly?

Comment

First it foamed...then some bubbles...then nice and clear and still.
                            I went for a wheel alignment today, went to a drive through and waiting in line with the wheels turned not moving, howling noise can be heard even with the radio on...UGH

Comment

If it's a new rack, shouldn't it have warranty?
                              Or is it a 200k-mile rack?

Comment

Working...
                              X