X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aptyp
    replied
    all these rear hubs you guys are trying....do they compare with stock offset.
    e30 m3 are the only ones that compare to stock offset.

what offset do i need to run my 17 by 9 style 5's?
    e30 m3 and roll baby, roll your fenders.

and for the front...if i use e36 control arms and strut housings, will my 87 h&r and billies work???
    only e36 m3. e30 strut inserts will not fit in e36 housings, because they are e36 housing is 1 inch shorter. Adding that much tube to e36 housing and using e30 insert, will mean driving on bump stops at all times and rendering struts absolutely useless, as they would have no travel at all.

Leave a comment:

• bimmer630
    replied
    Originally posted by bimmer_adam69 View Post
    good writeup guys! i have an 87 335is and just refinished a set of staggered style 5's and im really wanting to get them on as a winter project. ive been reading abit on this swap.

i know there's a fellow on here with an alpine white e30 that did an awesome 5 lug swap and staggered 5's.

i have aptyp's rear writup, am i just better off getting ti trailing arms for my swap?

and for the front...if i use e36 control arms and strut housings, will my 87 h&r and billies work???

yes im still in progress of researching but maybe you guys could shed some light on my q's. id really appreciate it:D
    You can only re-use your springs, not the bilstiens. (unless you do some custom chopping like shown in another thread.. somebody cut their E36 strut tubes and slid the E30 insert into it but that requires welding threaded rings onto the strut, etc..) to reuse the springs you will need struts from an E36 M3 or M-Z3. they have the same spring size. just re-use the upper mount because the bolt circle is different on E36 stuff.

rear hub offset is discussed earlier in this thread. Aptyps' swap will give your E30 an E36/E46 wheel offset which is different than E30 M3 offset

Leave a comment:

• atomic
    replied
    Originally posted by bimmer_adam69 View Post
    good writeup guys! i have an 87 335is and just refinished a set of staggered style 5's and im really wanting to get them on as a winter project. ive been reading abit on this swap.

i know there's a fellow on here with an alpine white e30 that did an awesome 5 lug swap and staggered 5's.

i have aptyp's rear writup, am i just better off getting ti trailing arms for my swap?

yes im still in progress of researching but maybe you guys could shed some light on my q's. id really appreciate it:D
    The most important thing to remember is...

"if you are planning a 5 lug using e36 parts then you will be able to run only e36 offset wheels IE et40ish"

"if you are planning a 5 lug using e30 m3 parts then you will be able to run et20ish wheels and can then run e36 wheels with the proper spacers"

I do not see any way you will fit a style 5 17x9 et23 under the rear using e36 318ti parts, even more so if your car is lowered... Mtriple used e30 m3 5 lug parts and was barely able to fit that wheel under his car.

:up:
    Last edited by atomic; 03-23-2009, 07:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bimmer_adam69
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    Originally posted by atomic View Post
    et40 =

et20 = :up:

Leave a comment:

• atomic
    replied
    lulz OK? I can see your point but for me the e36 wheel offset just was not acceptable although I don't find the e30 m3 rear hubs to be outrageously priced either.

et40 =

et20 = :up:

IMHO the e30 m3 front parts are what rapes your wallet. Bare strut assemblies are in the $900 each range and still need bearings/steer knuckle (roughly another $500 each side) plus the usual brake parts. Glad I have a spare set of strut housings/F. brake carriers/calipers on hand for when the stock market crashes...

:woowoo:

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    that's still a lot, lol

$340 +shipping, before brakes and all is definitely more than just buying a pair of z3 trailing arms. That's the whole problem. If those hubs were available at $80 like z3 ones, I would be advertising that to be the cheapest setup ever.

This is still quite possibly the best setup, even if it costs a little more, it keeps stock e30 offset in the rear, and with use of e36 m3 front stuff, allows to run staggered wheels :D
    Last edited by Aptyp; 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• atomic
    replied
    Shop Genuine OEM BMW Parts, Accessories, M Performance, and BMW Lifestyle with deeply discounted wholesale pricing, BMW factory warranty, world class customer support, and fast shipping to your doorstep! Questions? Contact us at gethelp@getbmwparts.com.

OEM Catalog
    Item Number ------MSRP ------Core Price -----Price
    33412225510 -----$211.56 -----$0.00 --------$169.25

7-M3 DRIVE FLANGE

These guys (Tischer Bmw) are by far the cheapest on these parts and honestly all other parts I have found. I ordered mine through KO Performance with Erick when he worked there and paid $135 each for them. Either what I paid or Tischers price above are very good prices IMHO to keep from having to remember all the hybrid crap in doing a 5 lug with e36 parts...

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    I know, no ones sells m3 hubs separately, though. At least not reasonably cheap...

Leave a comment:

• atomic
    replied
    e30 trailing arms are the same as e30 M3 trailing arms... Only the hub is different

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    yeah, I was bored, and I am still kicking my ass on a few other possibilities. I was thinking of machining e30 and e36 hubs and weld them together. Kind of create a cheaper version of e30 m3 hub. That would make for the best set up, without spending a shit ton on e30 m3 trailing arms. I have both e30 and e36 hub at the moment, and all that e30 hub needs is e36 bolt-up plate... yeah, this is what I day dream of. I'm such a loser, lol.

Leave a comment:

• atomic
    replied
    Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
    Punch yourself in the nuts for this...

I was playing with e30 m3 earlier, and I learned something new: you can put e36 325i rotor over m3 hub with 318ti/z3 carrier and any e36 caliper. Who would have thought.

Well thats good to know now, but at the time I did my swap I had to get a resolution to my problem quickly. I was sold what was suppose to have been e30 m3 rear carriers/calipers, but when it was time to bolt them up they were in fact e32 carriers/calipers, plus I already had the new rotors/pads on hand. So I had to get a quick fix since it was sitting on jackstands at a friends house and I had already rebuilt the calipers and new brass quide pins for them. And to be able to use the e32 calipers I could only use the e36 318ti carriers with that slight mod done to them to get it to work.

Either way it would have cost about the same, and in the end I planned on front and rear BBK's from Massive Brakes anyways...

Glad you are tinkering with the different possibilities out there though...

:up:

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    Originally posted by atomic View Post
    You can also do e30 M3 drive flanges/bearings/axle nuts/locks/rotors/pads with e36 318ti/Z3 rear carriers with e32 735 rear calipers on the rear...

E36 318ti carriers will need slight modification to fit over the e30 M3 rear rotors

Punch yourself in the nuts for this...

I was playing with e30 m3 earlier, and I learned something new: you can put e36 325i rotor over m3 hub with 318ti/z3 carrier and any e36 caliper. Who would have thought.

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    Don't use them, because they look like crap, lol.

Leave a comment:

• bimmer630
    replied
    the ones on the bottom are from a 325 e36. top ones are almost brand new Ti calipers. the bottom ones were sitting outside for a while by the looks of it but the pistons still move freely. are you saying dont use them because they look rough or because the position of the lines/bleeders?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X