Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone put the standard e36 rear hub and rotor on the e30 trailing arm. I am aware that a spacer is needed to move the rotor out to the correct location for the caliper and parking brake. I have access to a CNC mill, so I could make a spacer pretty quickly if it would work, but I didn't see if anyone has run into a roadblock here. I have seen it brought up, but not sure if anyone followed through.

Comment

Just by z3 hubs, you can get them new from Pelican for $75 bucks.
      sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
        Just by z3 hubs, you can get them new from Pelican for $75 bucks.
        If I use the Z3 hub, I will not be able to run et20 wheels. I want to run et20 wheels because there are a lot more options in that offset at 15" diameter.

I think I am going to make some spacers and see if I can make it work. If I absolutely have to remove the parking brake I will. This is for a track car.

Comment

Roll your fenders, problem solved. the z3 I think pushes the rear like 7mm.....your going to be in the same neighborhood if you space out the rotor......

Whatever you do you have to alter the mounting face of the wheel....so spending the money on the right part or try and make your idea work, you're still pushing the mounting surface out. Unless you use a deeper et or crazy stretched tires your probably not going to run et20.
          sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

I have been running the 318ti rear trailing arms for the last 5 years on the car and want to make this change to give me more wheel options and capability for wider tires. That is why I want to do this. Z3 hubs in the e30 trailing arms would be a little bit wider than my current set up. I have everything designed. I am going to try to machine everything this afternoon. We will see how it goes.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is the hub spacer that I made. I just have to turn a ring to press into it that will locate the rotor and wheel. I should have the car back on the ground this weekend. I should be able to fit the 15x8 wheels with et20 offset and 225/50/15 RA1s without a problem.

I don't know how this compares to the e30 M3 hub placement, but I had these e36 parts, so I went for it. I just wanted to show another option out there.
              Attached Files

Comment

^ as far as i know, e30 m3 rear hubs are a direct fit onto other e30 trailing arms.

Is there a brake mount difference that stops you from doing that?

Comment

I wasn't sure what the offset of the e30 M3 rear hub was between the bearing and the hub face so I didn't go that road. I know it can be pressed into the standard late e30 trailing arms. I didn't want to buy the e30 M3 hub if it didn't bring the wheel mounting face toward the center of the car. I assumed the e30 M3 hub moved the wheel mounting face further out because it has wider fenders. I am doing this to run et20 wheels. By using the standard e36 rear hub, the spacer I made, and rotor, the wheel mounting face will be the exact same width as it was when it was 4 lug. I am going to assemble it tonight. Any specs on e30 M3 rear hubs and rotors would be greatly appreciated. Maybe that is the better rout of doing what I am trying to do. It all depends on the offset on the hub. I suppose if someone could measure the offset of a rear rotor from a standard e36 and a e30 M3 that would give me the answer.

Comment

I got it all together. Here are a few pictures. This should allow me to go back to the et20 wheels in 15x8. I wasn't able to get the parking brake to fit, but this is for a track only car, so it is not that big of a deal. I believe this places the wheel mounting face in the same location that the e30 M3 hub would.

It really would be nice if there was another hub that had the same offset between the bearing mounting face and the wheel mounting face. It needs to be 31mm to fit the e36 rear rotors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833 (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	7153848
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0834 (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	7153849

Comment

great job Dthree.

You replicated the e30 m3 hub with a spacer. As long as these spacers are much cheaper than e30 m3 hubs, this would be a good way to go

Comment

Plus you have to add the cost of e36 hubs. I'm surprised you did not just weld up and redrill your 4 lug hubs since you have access to all the equipment.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Site is back up. I apologize for all the PMs and e-mails that went unanswered.

Comment

could these just be pushed on to all 4 hubs ?
                            keeping our struts and trailing arms intact ?

and the rears

Last edited by idanity; 10-05-2013, 01:31 AM.
                            3 pedal club
                            200,k+ club
                            cabrio club
                            port-matched- polished- purring www.BMWpark.org

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

rears yes, front no

Comment

Aptyp,
                                Question about ABS!!
                                The last thing I need to connect before mounting the wheels. I got late model e30, e36 m3 FRONT and 318ti REAR. Can I use e30 sensors or I must use e36 ones for ABS to function properly? I did space out the e30 ones for the rear and looks like the front ones do fit without touching the hub??
                                Thx in advance!

Comment

Working...
                                X