Is my trailing arm bent??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my trailing arm bent??

In the process of doing a rear subframe refresh. I’m putting everything back together and my right rear trailing arm is not fitting back into the subframe. Everything came apart fine and I did not modify it - only sent it off to be blasted and coated. I’m running Garagistic poly bushings. What’s going on here? Is something bent or twisted?

You sure you have the bushings in the right way around?

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
      You sure you have the bushings in the right way around?
      Pretty sure. Fat part on the outside, right? Other side fit fine.

Comment

Looks like you have it right.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Arm1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	10019348

Looking at it more closely, it doesn't look like that difference would fix your problem anyway. Maybe measure it against the other one? That's really strange, and I can't imagine how it could bend that much just from blasting it.

Comment

They may have sent you a bent arm. Not sure they refurb your particular parts? More than likely they get cores in, and have a sort of assembly line process. They sent a customer a bent arm, we couldn't get the camber right on one side, so stuck a digi protractor on it and the bearing- hub-to-spring-perch angle was off like 3°. Just sucked that the car was already together and on the alignment rack when it was discovered - but in the end Garagistic honored the return, but the customer had to pay our labor (and the alignment shop) a second time. :/
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            They may have sent you a bent arm. Not sure they refurb your particular parts? More than likely they get cores in, and have a sort of assembly line process. They sent a customer a bent arm, we couldn't get the camber right on one side, so stuck a digi protractor on it and the bearing- hub-to-spring-perch angle was off like 3°. Just sucked that the car was already together and on the alignment rack when it was discovered - but in the end Garagistic honored the return, but the customer had to pay our labor (and the alignment shop) a second time. :/
            It's definitely the arm that I sent in. I sent it to a local place to have it blasted and powdercoated - not to Garagistic. I'm just scratching my head on how it came off the subframe so easily if it was bent so much. I did use the threaded rod method to get the old bushings out. Would that be enough force to bend the arm? I wouldn't have thought so, but who knows...

Comment

I took the arm to a pretty reputable frame shop in town this morning and they wouldn’t even attempt to straighten it. Has anyone had luck fixing a bent T arm?

Comment

If it was bent you would think you would see some damage or a crimp somewhere on the TA where the bend occurred. This is very odd. I am in the process of refurbing my rear suspension and subframe and used the same method to remove the TA bushings and no way could you bend the TA using the threaded rod method. The rod would bend or break before the TA would bend.

Did you talk to the powder coater? They use alot of heat to perform powder coating, maybe something happened to the TA when it was heated that bent it? Longshot but hard to come up with any other explanation.....
                89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
                1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post
                  If it was bent you would think you would see some damage or a crimp somewhere on the TA where the bend occurred. This is very odd. I am in the process of refurbing my rear suspension and subframe and used the same method to remove the TA bushings and no way could you bend the TA using the threaded rod method. The rod would bend or break before the TA would bend.

Did you talk to the powder coater? They use alot of heat to perform powder coating, maybe something happened to the TA when it was heated that bent it? Longshot but hard to come up with any other explanation.....
                  Agreed. I looked it over pretty carefully and couldn't find anything obvious. I did ask the powdercoater and they didn't seem to think the process could have caused any damage, and I agree with them. It's baked at 400 degrees which I wouldn't think would affect anything.

I'm going to take it around to a couple other shops to see if anyone would make an attempt at straightening it out. The first shop I took it to wouldn't touch it because they were worried about it collapsing under pressure.

Comment

You can use the threaded rod tool to expand it.
                    Or is it too wide? Then the threaded rod tool should be able to compress it too.

You may try regular rubber bushings as they are more forgiving.

Comment

Looking at that picture, have you tried dropping the arm in from the top versus in from the rear? Those tabs appear to be on a bit of an angle (pictures are tough to judge) and coming in from the top MAY make a difference.

I doubt if the powder coat heat had an effect. It may however added a mil or two to the thickness of those tabs???
                      2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
                        Looking at that picture, have you tried dropping the arm in from the top versus in from the rear? Those tabs appear to be on a bit of an angle (pictures are tough to judge) and coming in from the top MAY make a difference.

I doubt if the powder coat heat had an effect. It may however added a mil or two to the thickness of those tabs???
                        I did try that, yes. No luck.

Looking at it, it seems that if I reversed the bushings it may fit. Anyone know if this would have any major consequences as far as alignment is concerned?

Comment

Working...
                        X