Z3 diff mount vs. OEM E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 diff mount vs. OEM E30?

Remember reading somewhere that the Z3 diff mount was superior to the OEM E30 mount, but can't seem to find it now. Anyone know what the difference is, if any?

The bushing? The z3 one has the two metal plates inset on each side of the bolt hole.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm looking at both on realoem.com and don't see any difference?

Comment

Real oem wont show any difference. Those are just general depictions, not detailed accurate drawings.
        sigpic

Comment

Right. Thanks for the info. Is there a certain prod year I should order?

Comment

the MZ3 or later model (m54 engine, 01 and 02) Z3 bushing is the one with the metal plates.
            sigpic
            January 2012 COTM

Comment

^^^ does that fit/work ?

Comment

Originally posted by wannaBMthree View Post
                ^^^ does that fit/work ?
                Yes, that's what I was using with my e30 diff cover before I got an MZ3 diff. cover
                sigpic
                January 2012 COTM

Comment

FYI--part #33172228425. According to realoem.com it's cheaper thru the dealer ($44.38) than thru Pelican.

Comment

Just in case anyone wanted to see the difference...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Old thread, but still curious...

Now that same z3 bushing (33172228425) goes for $300+ wtf!!! :o

Has anyone tried the 318ti diff bushing (33171090950)? Looks to be the same but significantly cheaper lol

Would this be an upgrade from the standard e30 bushing?

Ofc there's always poly but my car only sees the streets....

Thanks!
                      "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

The prices of the parts E30 owners use as upgrades have gone up substantially over the years. M diff covers were once $200 with bushings and bolts. Now they go for crazy money. I guess it's supply and demand.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Just get a poly or UHMW bushing, it's not like the diff mount bushing will squeak like poly TAB or CABs.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
                            Old thread, but still curious...

Now that same z3 bushing (33172228425) goes for $300+ wtf!!! :o

Has anyone tried the 318ti diff bushing (33171090950)? Looks to be the same but significantly cheaper lol

Would this be an upgrade from the standard e30 bushing?

Ofc there's always poly but my car only sees the streets....

Thanks!
                            Is the 318ti diff bushing considered an upgrade for the E30?

I really do not wish to add PU bushings on the diff, due to NVB and being a mostly daily car (sure it will see a lot of track, but still a street car).

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              Just get a poly or UHMW bushing, it's not like the diff mount bushing will squeak like poly TAB or CABs.
                              I wouldn't do that unless you like vibrations.

it is what it is though. I swear my ix bushing was solid, rather than webbed. I don't think the bushing is much of an upgrade though - people were buying them for the finned covers. Fortunately I got mine for like $100 back in the day..
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X