Koni SA short rear shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni SA short rear shock

Pelican list a short rear sport shock. What is the benefit to this shock over the standard length shock?

Link: https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog..._pg2.htm#item6

If you’re lowered, you get some extra travel.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

IIRC the E30 specific rear Koni SA's are all the "compress to adjust" style, but you can get top adjustable Mustang shocks that are valved more aggressively, but only fit aftermarket rear shock mounts (12mm dia hole iirc, +2mm from whatever stock is.).

Mustang shock Part numbers 8041-1186SPORT or 8041-1026SPORT. Same valving between these two, but -1186 has 50mm of bump stop at end of travel, whereas the -1026 is 5mm shorter overall and does not have a built in bump stop.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I loved my Mustang Konis on the Aluminum Monster... jury's still out on the E30-spec SAs... I need to adjust them still and was a bit surprised when I saw what that required
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

+1 for the mustang konis
          sigpic

Comment

If you are lowered with spring rates between 400lbs - 900lbs and want to stick with Koni SA dampers I would go with the custom Ground Control rear damper. Part number 8041-1289SPGC. Use this along with their rear bump stop and you are set.

These have the top adjustment for rebound and don't require getting under the car and removing the damper to adjust.
            1990 M3

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post
              If you are lowered with spring rates between 400lbs - 900lbs and want to stick with Koni SA dampers I would go with the custom Ground Control rear damper. Part number 8041-1289SPGC. Use this along with their rear bump stop and you are set.

These have the top adjustment for rebound and don't require getting under the car and removing the damper to adjust.
              Can you actually buy these by themselves? Searching that part number on google comes up with very few results
              2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
              1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
              1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

When I attempted to buy some, they refused. 8041-1026SPORT is working nicely for me in the rear with 650lb springs.
                Front I have 8610-1437 Race in shortened housings, spacer underneath, with 450lb springs. (Although Roysneon runs the same front setup with iX konis and it feels great also)

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  When I attempted to buy some, they refused. 8041-1026SPORT is working nicely for me in the rear with 650lb springs.
                  Front I have 8610-1437 Race in shortened housings, spacer underneath, with 450lb springs. (Although Roysneon runs the same front setup with iX konis and it feels great also)
                  What modifications are required to fit these? Do you happen to know the compression/ rebound of these vs the 80 2522SP1?

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful View Post

What modifications are required to fit these? Do you happen to know the compression/ rebound of these vs the 80 2522SP1?
                    The only required mod is to run a rear shock mount with 12mm hole. Since these are top-adjust, they have a thicker shaft to accommodate the adjustment mechanism.
                    I think most aftermarket RSMs can be bought as a 12mm variant.

I don't have any damping specs. I asked Koni years ago about the difference between 8041-1026 Sport and 8041-1186 Sport, I received the following but no damping specs:

The 8041-1026 Sport is shorter by 5mm in compressed length position, however it does not use a bump stop.
                    The 8041-1186 Sport does have a bump stop installed from the factory which makes contact with the shock body 50mm before full compression is reached.
                    The dampers are valved exactly the same.​

Comment

Working...
                    X