Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASK ALL WHEEL/TIRE FITMENT QUESTIONS HERE - The Official Wheel/Tire Fitment Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
    I read through some more of the thread to get a better idea on stuff. I compared the 17 x 9 to 17 x 8 and the 9" only has 3/4" more of a lip, but seems to make fitment a bit more troublesome, so........

17 x 8 - et 35 + 15mm spacers + 235/40/17 = FTW?

Is stepping up to a 235/45/17 possible, what would need to be done to make that work? It seems to nearly triple the available tire selection.
    17x8 ET20 is NOT 235/40/17 friendly with stock fenders. You'd need ET25-28 in order to pull that off.

235/45/17 is a whole other story and should not be used. Massive tire.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
      17x8 ET20 is NOT 235/40/17 friendly with stock fenders. You'd need ET25-28 in order to pull that off.

235/45/17 is a whole other story and should not be used. Massive tire.

Jay
      So would using a 10mm spacer with an et 35 wheel should work then?

As long as I know that 17 x 8 et 25-28 (with or without spacers) is what I should be shooting. Thanks!
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

So would using a 10mm spacer with an et 35 wheel should work then?

As long as I know that 17 x 8 et 25-28 (with or without spacers) is what I should be shooting. Thanks!
        If it was as easy as slapping on a 10mm spacer I would have suggested that. The problem is that there are no truly hubcentric 10mm spacers for our cars, your only option would be custom made (and this would only work if the wheels in question had an oversized centerbore).

Jay

Comment

You said stock fender friendly, so would a nice roll accomplish it with et 20?
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

No rolling at all if you use 205/45/17 tires. Minor rear rolling with 215/40/17.

Jay
            ok thanks.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
            Instagram:
            https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
            LS Build Thread:
            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

14x6 4x100 ET26 Minilite-style wheels w/195-55-14 Dunlop SP 9000s. Will these fit my 91 318i? I'd like to use these for auto-x as I used to have them on my Scirocco. They are Superlight brand...I bought them from Pack Racing and they said most of their wheels were designed for RWD cars (this one included).

Car will likely me modified with H&R Sports/Bilstein Sports before I carve cones. Thanks!

I have 5mm spacers for the 15x6.5 Sport Edition Wheels that the PO purchased from Tirerack...should I use these for the 14s?

Comment

You said stock fender friendly, so would a nice roll accomplish it with et 20?
                No, by that I meant stock appearing. Even rolled completely flat on an early arch car, you will not fit those on the back without flaring.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Petebee View Post
                  14x6 4x100 ET26 Minilite-style wheels w/195-55-14 Dunlop SP 9000s. Will these fit my 91 318i? I'd like to use these for auto-x as I used to have them on my Scirocco. They are Superlight brand...I bought them from Pack Racing and they said most of their wheels were designed for RWD cars (this one included).

Car will likely me modified with H&R Sports/Bilstein Sports before I carve cones. Thanks!

I have 5mm spacers for the 15x6.5 Sport Edition Wheels that the PO purchased from Tirerack...should I use these for the 14s?
                  Those wheels were made for an E30! Bolt them right on, don't use the spacers. When those tires burn up, move on to 195/60/14 RT-615s. Okay that was off-topic, but just a friendly suggestion.

Jay

Comment

Those wheels were made for an E30! Bolt them right on, don't use the spacers. When those tires burn up, move on to 195/60/14 RT-615s. Okay that was off-topic, but just a friendly suggestion.

Jay
                    Awesome...that's what I wanted to hear. I figured that I might as well use the tires to learn and then get some Azenis. Plan to run STS and just improve my skills while getting used to RWD (drove FWD VWs for years).

Thanks Jay!

Comment

Damn!

Mystikal! You are a warrior!
                      I have never seen anyone maintain a thread like this!
                      I stand up and applaude you!
                      But..... But....

You need to take some of this weight of your shoulders my man!
                      Can we make a chart for ideal set ups (wheel dimensions, tire dimensions, necessary adjustments, etc.) so you simply don't get asked the same questions over and over?

I would also like to see some more chiming in after the fact from some of the beneficiaries of this guy's contributions.

Further, let's talk about performance. I have been running 225 - 14's for autocross, but I will be doing more track stuff with about 70 more HP than last season, so I think I need to take some of that mushy sidewall away.

What do you guys think. Has anyone tried both extremes (14's vs. 17's or even 18's) in an autocross and/or track environment? What did you think of the difference? And talk about suspension mods and HP a little too?
                      Essentially, whats your basic set up and how much of a difference did the change in wheel/tire size make?

J.
                      J. Farina

Yeah, thats me kicking up all that dirt!

Comment

Originally posted by JiXer View Post
                        Mystikal! You are a warrior!
                        I have never seen anyone maintain a thread like this!
                        I stand up and applaude you!
                        But..... But....

You need to take some of this weight of your shoulders my man!
                        Can we make a chart for ideal set ups (wheel dimensions, tire dimensions, necessary adjustments, etc.) so you simply don't get asked the same questions over and over?

I would also like to see some more chiming in after the fact from some of the beneficiaries of this guy's contributions.

Further, let's talk about performance. I have been running 225 - 14's for autocross, but I will be doing more track stuff with about 70 more HP than last season, so I think I need to take some of that mushy sidewall away.

What do you guys think. Has anyone tried both extremes (14's vs. 17's or even 18's) in an autocross and/or track environment? What did you think of the difference? And talk about suspension mods and HP a little too?
                        Essentially, whats your basic set up and how much of a difference did the change in wheel/tire size make?

J.
                        Thanks, we're well past 10,000 views now and I'm glad to have helped everyone.

Another member PM'd me a similar idea regarding a database/spreadsheet of fitment options, but I will never do it. There are simply way too many variables at work. Specific tire model, every single suspension detail (spring rate, alignment, dampers, etc), car year, and so on. There would be no logical way to organize a table with all of that info, there are just too many exceptions. I'd have to include 50 different footnotes at the bottom, it would be ridiculous. I'd rather just take queries on one at a time, I really don't mind the work.

To respond to your last discussion, keep in mind the intention/direction of this thread. All we want to keep here is discussions based on FITMENT, not performance, suspension choice, etc. I don't want to steer the thread elsewhere, it's been fairly consistently on topic since the beginning and we have an entire Wheels & Tires as well as Track & Auto-X sections for any other discussions.

Thanks again for the support,
                        Jay

Comment

hey Jay - another one for you.

Latemodel car, 16x7.5" wheel, et35 - my best guess is a 15mm spacer for a total et20. Looking to use the 215/45-16 azenis.

Does that sound about right? The car has a mild fender roll in the rear, should I go more aggressive?

Thanks again!

J
                          Jay

Comment

Originally posted by fretburnr View Post
                            hey Jay - another one for you.

Latemodel car, 16x7.5" wheel, et35 - my best guess is a 15mm spacer for a total et20. Looking to use the 215/45-16 azenis.

Does that sound about right? The car has a mild fender roll in the rear, should I go more aggressive?

Thanks again!

J
                            Yes, that should be just fine unless you have very soft springs. A 225/45/16 will be too much, however.

Jay

Comment

excellent. rear springs are h&r sports.

i may end up selling the koseis, I think i found something I'd rather use :)
                              Jay

Comment

Might as well ask since they are on close out for $50 each

For race tires. 225/50-16 Kumho V710's on 16X7 ET28 Alpinas with H&R race springs and spacers if need be. Kumho lists this tire as having an overall diameter of 24.7" and a tread width of 9".

::crossingfingers::

EDIT: OR 245/45-16 Kumho V700's? 24.3" Overall diameter and 9.7" tread width
                                Last edited by Hick; 01-23-2008, 09:24 AM.

Originally posted by vlad
                                Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Working...
                                X