No announcement yet.

How rare is an uncracked dash these days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How rare is an uncracked dash on any car from the 1980s? probably very very rare..
    Last edited by e30davie; 08-17-2022, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I have an uncracked used one so they can last 30years
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
        Hey guys, I have been applying sun screen lotion on the dash for more than ten years every time I do a cleaning. There is not a single crack anywhere on the dash.
        i might try this.

Comment

I have owned three E30's that came from Northern Europe. They are all crack free. There is some combination of sun and temperature in that end of the world that makes the dashboards last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
            i have heard the same thing locally in sask about 303 in particular on all kinds of dashes.
            I don't know what other benefit Aerospace 303 is supposed to have, but the UV protection claim seems to be false - At least based on that Project Farm trim restoration video. One of the tests was UV protection and Aerospace 303 didn't do anything when tested with a UV Meter.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I thought they were factory cracks. Even early cars, and they all leak in the rain. But do they run.

Comment

Since this a dash thread has anybody seen a dash recovered by Just Dashes? I got a quote from them for $1600 to recover my dash but I'm not at that point where I want to spend that much on an unknown product. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 20w506cyl View Post
                  Since this a dash thread has anybody seen a dash recovered by Just Dashes? I got a quote from them for $1600 to recover my dash but I'm not at that point where I want to spend that much on an unknown product. Thanks.
                  I live nearby and I went to check out the work and it looks top notch it is pricey but I don’t see any other real good alternatives . I did leave my dash as I had a spare one . It’s a 5-6 month wait so I have a bit to decide if I change my mind or not . They don’t charge you until they actually get to your dash .

Comment

Originally posted by prisonerofdoom83 View Post

I live nearby and I went to check out the work and it looks top notch it is pricey but I don’t see any other real good alternatives . I did leave my dash as I had a spare one . It’s a 5-6 month wait so I have a bit to decide if I change my mind or not . They don’t charge you until they actually get to your dash .
                    Thanks, would be great if you would post pictures when you get it back. The videos on their website looks like it's quality work and your right there isn't any good alternatives.

Comment

I've own so many E30, bought my first one in 1990 and have had several since, till this day I have not have no one dash cracked on me, and I had a project cars sitting for over 3 years and still no problem, I have 3 spare dashes in my basement and I don't think I would ever use any of them as my 2 cars are garaged and under car covers.

Comment

I brought a used crack free dash to replace my grand canyon crack one in 2020 for around $350. The car sits in a parking lot exposed to all the harsh environment everyday and I use a sunshade In the summer - dash is still crack free. I drive the car on a regular basis too. We get very strong sunlight with 95-100F peaks here during Jun-Aug and freezing temps below 20F during Jan-Feb
                        Last edited by ZeKahr; 08-18-2022, 02:26 PM.
                        1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                        1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

what is the material, anyone know? maybe just vinyl?

its probably differential thermal expansion because of foam and the skin.
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            what is the material, anyone know? maybe just vinyl?

its probably differential thermal expansion because of foam and the skin.
                            Yeah its some sort of vinyl. The closest imitation material I’ve seen to it is Ottertex marine vinyl but the best-matching color doesn’t quite match in terms of shade. The grain texture on the dash vinyl is also supposedly proprietary, but there’s probably an immitation vinyl out there that mimmicks the grain texture 99%

If someone can 3D scan their crack free dash that would be a step in the right direction
                            1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                            1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

My 88 M3 still has an original uncracked dash. The car had been garaged since 98 and in a mild coastal climate (60-90 F) nearly all year round. I have used Amor all, lexol, eagle one, 303 and Meguiars on it but I think the main thing is keeping it hydrated and limiting the expanding/contracting (hot and cold).
                              Last edited by reelizmpro; 08-18-2022, 10:37 PM.
                              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Mine isn't too bad - there's a small one above my gauge cluster near the vent and one by the climate vents. I just threw on a dash cover from CoverCraft and called it day.

The car is outside in the Florida heat most of the time, but I do keep a windshield cover on it daily and fully cover the car when not being used for extended periods of time. I did peak under the cover not too long ago and it looks the same as it did before I put the cover on.

Comment

Working...
                                X