Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

316i automatic M40B16 any idea to upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's definitely something to be said for an early M10 car, they were pretty light (between 2400 and 2500lbs IIRC), but an auto definitely sucks some of the fun out of a slow momentum car. It sucks some of the fun out of my wagon and the A4S 310R (4L30E) is more responsive than a 4HP22

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

I agree - I had a 316 while I lived in the UK that was a manual, with the carby 1.8L M10. It was really light, and with a 32/36 Webber on it still fun to drive.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        There's definitely something to be said for an early M10 car, they were pretty light (between 2400 and 2500lbs IIRC), but an auto definitely sucks some of the fun out of a slow momentum car. It sucks some of the fun out of my wagon and the A4S 310R (4L30E) is more responsive than a 4HP22
        That's all great advice. Sadly the auto is going to stay🙁
        Do you know if it is possible to upgrade to a better a transmission?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          Most people on this board are Americans and we did not get the M40 let alone the 1.6L variants, so I wouldn't expect a lot of feedback here that isn't "engine swap." I doubt you will have a noticeable improvement in power if you were to upgrade only cam and valve springs with no other modifications, keep in mind that a more aggressive cam may make the car less fun with an automatic transmission because it will decrease low end torque. An M42B18 would be a massive improvement over your M40B16 but there are parts availability issues with M42s these days, there are a couple of threads about it in the M42 section of this forum. If modifications as mundane as transmission swaps aren't allowed by your government without significant difficulty or expense I would sell the auto E30 get a one with a manual transmission... I've driven the automatic E30s and to me it sucks too much fun out of driving, this negates the purpose of owning an E30.
          Would you advice the M42B18 or the M43B19? In terms of how easy is to swap the whole thing, pieces retrieval, etc.

Comment

how much do you save keeping it stock ? swapping an engine may not reach your goals. you might sink the value of the car by doing a swap, a lot of cars are worth more as an original survivor

no matter what 4 cyl you swap, you're going to end up with pretty much the exact same car and driving experience you have now. the transmission is the bottleneck. the auto negates pretty much everything. getting a 5-spd in there would change the whole game.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
              how much do you save keeping it stock ? swapping an engine may not reach your goals. you might sink the value of the car by doing a swap, a lot of cars are worth more as an original survivor

no matter what 4 cyl you swap, you're going to end up with pretty much the exact same car and driving experience you have now. the transmission is the bottleneck. the auto negates pretty much everything. getting a 5-spd in there would change the whole game.
              What about swapping the auto transmission as well for a newer one? Is it possible/doable?

Yeah I end up paying 30% yearly of what I would pay re-registering the car. Also, the value of this car is very low, it goes for 4-5k, so not a big deal… I would spend them in 3-4 years by paying full price insurance and taxes🙁

Also, for those who are not from around here, ti make massive modifications to a vehicle if you live in Italy, is basically impossible to have it registered in our country, we usually pass through Germany and import back registered with the new engine…. That costs the same as the car

Comment

What I don't understand is why swapping in a five speed, which many E30s came with as original equipment, is not allowed. Swapping to an engine the car never came with is understandable, but why is an alternate transmission option not allowed?

Again, the auto kills the car. If you can't swap it I would simply sell the car. It is that detrimental to the driving experience. If swapping to a manual that could have come with the car is not allowed, I don't see how swapping in a newer auto that never came in the car would be. That would make no sense. Maybe you need to ask around some more about what is and isn't allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                  What I don't understand is why swapping in a five speed, which many E30s came with as original equipment, is not allowed. Swapping to an engine the car never came with is understandable, but why is an alternate transmission option not allowed?

Again, the auto kills the car. If you can't swap it I would simply sell the car. It is that detrimental to the driving experience. If swapping to a manual that could have come with the car is not allowed, I don't see how swapping in a newer auto that never came in the car would be. That would make no sense. Maybe you need to ask around some more about what is and isn't allowed.
                  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed. Selling the car also would not be an option at the moment.

For the engine or transmission upgrade to be accepted by my country's law it is necessary a document from BMW accepting the change, thing that I know for sure it's not possible.

So, I want to make this car more fun and I need to deal with what I have..

I hope you guys will throw some great advice, besides sell the car.

- engine option?
                  - how to make more reactive my 4 speed auto? Change something like TC? Or swap to 5 speed auto?….

Comment

you could put a higher ratio rear differential in it. that's about the only thing I can think of that would make any difference.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Tofflemire View Post

- engine option?
                      - how to make more reactive my 4 speed auto? Change something like TC? Or swap to 5 speed auto?….

changing the engine won't mean a thing unless changing the transmission. there was only one option for an auto trans, the 4hp22, you're stuck with it. you won't find any other type of auto trans.
                      the 316i came with a 4.45 or 4.27 diff. the 4.45 is a bit quicker, but not quick enough to notice any difference behind an auto trans. the diff is a small case limiting options somewhat. there isn't any gearing in a medium case that would make it worth to swap.

bottom line is you have a pretty nice slow car that you'll have to enjoy exactly as is. it's probably worth more in original form. i'd daily drive it while enjoying the cheaper insurance and save for something with better potential.
                      Last edited by 82eye; 10-04-2022, 09:14 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

changing the engine won't mean a thing unless changing the transmission. there was only one option for an auto trans, the 4hp22, you're stuck with it. you won't find any other type of auto trans.
                        the 316i came with a 4.45 or 4.27 diff. the 4.45 is a bit quicker, but not quick enough to notice any difference behind an auto trans. the diff is a small case limiting options somewhat. there isn't any gearing in a medium case that would make it worth to swap.

bottom line is you have a pretty nice slow car that you'll have to enjoy exactly as is. it's probably worth more in original form. i'd daily drive it while enjoying the cheaper insurance and save for something with better potential.
                        That's a very exhaustive and sad answer for my ears😂 thanks I appreciate it

Comment

Working...
                        X