Advice needed: S52 Engine swap yes or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell it for $$$$$ buy one for $$ and swap that
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
      I'd ditch those wheels which look weird on an E30
      Arc 8s weird on an E30? when did that happen?
      Boris - 89 E30 325i
      84- E30 323i

Comment

Personally, I would keep a low-miles clean-car as stock as possible. A few tasteful mods would make sense, but once you start cutting up the wiring and moving stuff around for an engine swap, it just another modded e30. If you really need more power, why not look at stroking the m20 and putting an 885 head on it. It'll still look and sound original, but have more pep.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
          Flat faced wheels always looked weird on E30s, it didn't happen it just is. It has nothing to do with the spoke design, it's just that old cars do not look right with a wheel that has no lip or concavity. Same reason Volvo 240s look goofy with pegasus wheels. Put a picture of an old car with a flat faced arc 8 or arc 8 style wheel and one with concavity side by side, you'll see what I mean. The concavity is worlds better. Also 17s look too big on E30s imo...

Click image for larger version  Name:	5959125036_1f0d6cb696_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.8 KB ID:	10096261
          Click image for larger version  Name:	rede30-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.3 KB ID:	10096262
          Last edited by varg; 06-08-2023, 06:44 PM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post

I have to agree with varg, but for a different reason. Those wheels look hilariously oversized on the E30. They’d look great on an E46, because that car’s proportions were intended for 17”+ wheels. Anything larger than 16” on an E30’s lithe, boxy profile makes the car look “ghetto phabulous”, almost donk-like.
            Last edited by ZeKahr; 06-08-2023, 05:49 PM.
            1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
            1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Oh well, I love mine, they dont rub, they fit six pots and look fat with the semis.
              Boris - 89 E30 325i
              84- E30 323i

Comment

Not to threadjack too hard, but I agreed that some concavity or lip looks great on an e30. Also, I've always thought 17" wheels looked a little too big. Stock 14s are kinda small, 15s look period-correct large, 16s give an aggressive look without looking too big.

Racing Dynamics 15x7 et25 with 205/50-ZR15 Tires:

BBS Type 5 16x8 et23 with 225/50-ZR16 Tires (not enough offset and the aspect ratio is a little too big)
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

The shape of the car makes a difference. E30s have curved sides that tuck in at the bottom with a (____) shape. MT2 cars are more square [____] and can look more balanced with flat-faced wheels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	black-e30-main3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.2 KB ID:	10096366

Comment

2.9L Ult.Street.Stroker M20 engine, dressed to look like a stock 325e... would be kind of fun.

But.... to see this "value over fun" mind-virus start to toxify the E30 community is nauseating.

Comment

Originally posted by AceAndrew777 View Post
                      But.... to see this "value over fun" mind-virus start to toxify the E30 community is nauseating.
                      I see it as a good thing; it will lead to nicer, less abused examples available for me and others like me to enjoy as a daily driver. The reason I paid the amount I did for my E30 (and yes, it’s auto) was because it wasn’t abused or hacked up by a PO in stupid ways who wanted to have “fun” with it. I have my own reasons for liking the E30 chassis, and none of them have anything to do with its hotrod potential.
                      Last edited by ZeKahr; 06-10-2023, 12:04 AM.
                      1986 325e Schwarz (sold)

Greed is Good

Comment

Originally posted by AceAndrew777 View Post
                        2.9L Ult.Street.Stroker M20 engine, dressed to look like a stock 325e... would be kind of fun.

Meh. There is value in both modified and stock. Even modify-everything me would keep a super clean low mileage E30 close to stock because I can appreciate that as well.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

Meh. There is value in both modified and stock. Even modify-everything me would keep a super clean low mileage E30 close to stock because I can appreciate that as well.
                          It doesn’t even need to be low mileage. There are high mileage E30’s out there that are stock and in reasonably good condition for the mileage (like this one: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-325i-51-2/. And yes, it’s auto [there’s a comment on there joking about how the auto extended that car’s lifespan]). Now sure the paint isn’t perfect, but at least the owner(s) made an effort to take care of the car and preserve it in stock form (and reasonably good condition for its mileage) for years to come. Most modified E30s have been modified for short term enjoyment rather than long term enjoyment and that’s why many of those are in such shit shape, even if they have lower miles than the one I linked.
                          Last edited by ZeKahr; 06-10-2023, 12:03 PM.
                          1986 325e Schwarz (sold)

Greed is Good

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
                            The shape of the car makes a difference. E30s have curved sides that tuck in at the bottom with a (____) shape. MT2 cars are more square [____] and can look more balanced with flat-faced wheels.
                            Think you're on to something there, because that MT2 car looks HOT with those flat-faced wheels.

IMO plastic bumper late models can get away with larger & flatter wheels then early model chrome bumper cars.

Comment

classics need some dish man ..

Comment

I like how this went from save the classics to a wheel thread, lol

Comment

Working...
                                X