glass sunroof repop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glass sunroof repop

being that original glass sunroof are rare / limited. Anyone ever reach out to a company to make a reproduction?

i don't think there is enough of a market for it now. anyone who really wants one is looking for an original in most cases anyway.
    a little over a decade ago someone in europe swapped in a vw electric glass sunroof but it was a crazy amount of work and was a rotisserie build. you could easily source e30 parts for the cost and work involved.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
      i don't think there is enough of a market for it now. anyone who really wants one is looking for an original in most cases anyway.
      a little over a decade ago someone in europe swapped in a vw electric glass sunroof but it was a crazy amount of work and was a rotisserie build. you could easily source e30 parts for the cost and work involved.
      a dude on insagram (Rusty bucket) fit a mini cooper roof onto his sedan. I was thinking a direct drop in panel with stock mounting tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by vinny.mia View Post

a dude on insagram (Rusty bucket) fit a mini cooper roof onto his sedan. I was thinking a direct drop in panel with stock mounting tabs.
        well it's a bmw sourced mod so i can see it working in theory. i'd be interested in knowing more about it. both vw and bmw source the sunroofs and assorted gear from the same supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

well it's a bmw sourced mod so i can see it working in theory. i'd be interested in knowing more about it. both vw and bmw source the sunroofs and assorted gear from the same supplier.
          i remember looking up the manufacture to see if they still made the glass roof but they said no

Comment

I think most people want to go the opposite route and ditch the sunroof altogether. A composite sunroof delete panel with hardware that doesn't drill through the body and a replacement headliner would be kind of sweet.

Knowing how many issues the mini sunroofs have and how expensive they are to fix would make it a hard pass for me.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              I think most people want to go the opposite route and ditch the sunroof altogether. A composite sunroof delete panel with hardware that doesn't drill through the body and a replacement headliner would be kind of sweet.

Knowing how many issues the mini sunroofs have and how expensive they are to fix would make it a hard pass for me.
              You know it! I spent $1,200 at the MINI dealer to fix my R56 sunroof, and they couldn't get it working. After the car was long gone and lots of mulling it over, I think the control module was bad. Good advice to avoid any parts coming off a modern MINI.
              R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
              └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

As far as I remember, the glass sunroof panel was NOT BMW, but a 3rd party.
                Possibly even sold directly to dealers as a 'dealer installed' option.

but that was a long time ago...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

The BMW e30 Glass Moonroof was a USA dealer accessory... in my 1988 brochure it was on page 14 (see pic). Two versions were available - with and without privacy shade (see pic). The parts in the privacy shade version look like the pic of items laid out...
                  Last edited by LindrelT; 02-16-2024, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LindrelT View Post
                    The BMW e30 Glass Moonroof was a USA dealer accessory... in my 1988 brochure it was on page 14 (see pic). Two versions were available - with and without privacy shade (see pic). The parts in the privacy shade version look like the pic of items laid out...
                    wow thank for these pictures that super cool ! i wish it was still an option today to buy new

Comment

And to answer a question I have seen so much mis-information about... I happened to have one of each out so...

"What is the weight of an e30 metal sunroof vs. a glass moonroof?"

Comment

Originally posted by LindrelT View Post
                        And to answer a question I have seen so much mis-information about... I happened to have one of each out so...

"What is the weight of an e30 metal sunroof vs. a glass moonroof?"

if you ever want to part ways with the glass panel, message me.

Comment

Nobody is going to make a reproduction. Custom glass production is extremely expensive in small volumes.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                          X