Help me tackle this inherited e30 m50 swap car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me tackle this inherited e30 m50 swap car

Long stgory short its basically stripped except for the harness in place with the motor mounted. I have wiring that I think goes to a distriubution block still hanging loose and other questions

I dont expect to be hand fed but completely new to BMWs so Im learning from the ground up!

If anyone is willing to guide me on the journey Id love some new car friends in a new platform!

have a look for info and ask questions in this sub-forum 24V Engine Swaps - R3VLimited Forums
    a few others will jump in. ​

Comment

Post some pics of the current condition.
      Let's see what you're working with.

Comment

A bit of info on what your background/skills are would probably help folks too...
        1985 E30 S52 - Daily Driver
        1986 M635Csi - For the best days

Comment

+1 to pictures and more info.

You should be able to tell what's what for power+GND based on the wire colour if you can pull the sleeving back.
          I would double check the wiring for the C101 as well as starter/Alternator because I have trust issues when it comes to wiring.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Im working with a mess
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20240330_130833.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	10118534

I did figure out that there was the old e30 fuse box wiring in place and thats what my mystery red wire was for. It was the m50 fusebox wires.

Now Im stuck on the e30 distribution block. The big battery cable I know would normally clamp to a starter cable. This m50 has a red eyelet for that instead. What I dont understand is where do other posts get power as it doesnt look like the big cable feeds any if them with a continuity test.

As for background .. never touched a bmw before but give me a 350z or dsm and I can work on them blindfolded.

i hate to even ask wiring stuff but inheriting something I didnt take apart and no e30 to look at makes it difficult

Name:	20240415_182455.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	10118535

I know the starter wire has to move to the end of big cable.

The 2 that go to fuse box should go on a post I believe but only one has a big enough hole.

Attached Files

Comment

Moved this thread to the project subforum, but you will probably need to spend some time in the 24v swap forum as well.

Hook up a battery and see what comes to life with 12v
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

There should be two main positive feeds coming up from the battery.
                The large one which goes to the starter, and a smaller cable (which has a fusible link in the trunk) I believe this is the one you labeled "DME".
                Both of these normally connect into the left side of the block.

On the right side, there is the main lug that connects to the starter as you mentioned.
                Believe on my car there are two wires connecting to that smaller wire on the right hand side of the block. Don't quote me on that though, it's been some time since I've even had that engine bay block installed.
                Last edited by Panici; 04-16-2024, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                  There should be two main positive feeds coming up from the battery.
                  The large one which goes to the starter, and a smaller cable (which has a fusible link in the trunk) I believe this is the one you labeled "DME".
                  Both of these normally connect into the left side of the block.

On the right side, there is the main lug that connects to the starter as you mentioned.
                  Believe on my car there are two wires connecting to that smaller wire on the right hand side of the block. Don't quote me on that though, it's been some time since I've even had that engine bay block installed.

I figured out by looking through the pictures of stuff I need that the starter cable is where the 2 wires to the e30 fuse box go. At the least Ill need to find an old clamp to put on there so it has those conections.

im stil a ways off from putting 12v to the system. Interior is stil gutted of electronics. I still need

brake master
                  clutch master
                  cooling solution(im going to run this aa a drift car for my wife so just need to figure out routing with no heater core)
                  figure out shift linkage

still a ways to go. This is giving me a chanve to learn from the ground up!

Name:	20240330_131201.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	10118562 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240330_131000.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	10118563 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240330_130854.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	10118564

Comment

TBH, your wife, if that's who is pictured, looks uncertain about this project. Which undoubtedly means you must be on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                      TBH, your wife, if that's who is pictured, looks uncertain about this project. Which undoubtedly means you must be on the right track.
                      Lol.. shes excited.... she didnt know she got caught in the pic or she would have posed for it

Comment

Working...
                      X