Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 'Craigslist find' thread - awesome & awful (eBay, Kijiji, etc.)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vincenze
    replied
    Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post

Side note: I just googled "Mercedes Pagoda" (you can tell I'm relatively new to vintage German cars), and I feel head-over-heels in love with the design - so much so I had the urge to dump my E30 and for one... and then I saw the price tags on the damn things. Shame they cost an arm and a leg though - but that looks and rarity of those cars commend it.
    The designer of the Pagoda, Paul Bracq, also designed the first BMW 3 Series E21.
    I think that its design looks unfinished, though.

Leave a comment:

• ZeKahr
    replied
    Originally posted by E30 Wagen;n=9922578
    This isn't just a "mint" car. It's a time capsule. How often in life have you wanted to go back in time? That's like the ultimate fantasy, right? Well, with this car you actually can, sort of. Maybe 20 years ago you could have built/restored an e30 with all new parts from BMW, but not any more, and even then it would have cost a fortune. Among numerous other parts, getting a brand new OEM interior just isn't going to happen today. You can try to find matching OE materials but it's just not the same. This car is like your one chance to go back 30 years and experience what a 100% brand new e30 is like. Not restored, new. And, it's not some garden variety version, it's a somewhat rare early model 325ix. Maybe not that exciting but it's still kinda special.
    I just looked up the production figures for the 325ix, and alright that justifies the price tag a lot more. For some reason I thought they were more mass-produced than they really were. As for the go back in time thing... well I wasn't even born back when the last batch of E30 rolled off the assembly line so I'm probably not emotionally mature enough to even answer that question but I get it. Hell, I haven't even brought any of the cars I've owned new and none of them had less than 150k miles but I can understand why someone would want a car like this - you buy something like this 325ix to get that "fresh off the dealership lot with (almost) 0 miles with no prior owners (okay maybe one prior owner)" feeling like its still 1986. The way I see it, that emotion is very fleeting - it feels absolutely fantastic for a short while, then you sort of just get used to the car. It happened to me with my Eta daily - felt wonderful for the first month as if I had a special time machine that would take me back to 1986 every time I drove it. Then I just got used to seeing it and using it as a daily.

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

A full restoration in the USA or Europe will cost mad money if you can't do it yourself.

Here is an example that I found curious: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-280sel-4-5-9/
    Somebody wanted to restore a Mercedes and has spent more than $100,000.
    It's still not ready. And it's not even the wonderful Pagoda.
    True, I've been quoted around $50k-60k for a full restoration for my Eta. Rebuilds are much cheaper, faster, and much more doable.

Personally, I do not have the gall to dump money into a full-out restoration like the guy you linked. A full restoration is an all or nothing venture and in his case he ended up with nothing... and a $100k+ hole in his wallet.

Side note: I just googled "Mercedes Pagoda" (you can tell I'm relatively new to vintage German cars), and I feel head-over-heels in love with the design - so much so I had the urge to dump my E30 and for one... and then I saw the price tags on the damn things. Shame they cost an arm and a leg though - but that looks and rarity of those cars commend it.

Leave a comment:

• Albie325
    replied
    That E9 is pretty sweet. I'd consider myself a (gulp) "purist" and would have preferred it to have the original engine, but man that thing is awesome looking. By far my favorite BMW chassis, but that price tag is wild

Leave a comment:

• Aleman
    replied
    Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    Found a pretty amazing restomod of an e9 on Australian carsales:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6480230/?Cr=0

Price is pretty out there, but I guess it's probably a comparable car to the Singer Porsches? I'd dump the halo headlights, but otherwise it looks pretty amazing.
    That is a very very nice E9, but like you said, that price is out there ($289k AUD = $187k US). I'd also dump the halo lights. You would think for that money, a buyer would want to be involved with the resto to have it exactly how he or she wants it. Or hold out for an all original low mileage unmolested E9. The drawback to resto mods vs unmolested originals is that the tech in a resto mod is aging from the minute it's installed. The value declines from today, because someone looking for a resto mod 5 years from now will want all the newest tech. Original is always original. Beautiful car, though. Super classy interior.
    https://www.fuelbespokedesign.com/von-the-reveal

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    Found a pretty amazing restomod of an e9 on Australian carsales:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6480230/?Cr=0

Price is pretty out there, but I guess it's probably a comparable car to the Singer Porsches? I'd dump the halo headlights, but otherwise it looks pretty amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Vincenze
    replied

Fair enough. Personally, I have a hard time digesting the idea of paying $60k for a 30-35yo car in the same league as an E30 over little things like mint door panels. But I guess a rich guy with $60k to burn who wants a mint garden variety E30 might not mind...
    A full restoration in the USA or Europe will cost mad money if you can't do it yourself.

Here is an example that I found curious: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-280sel-4-5-9/
    Somebody wanted to restore a Mercedes and has spent more than $100,000.
    It's still not ready. And it's not even the wonderful Pagoda.

Leave a comment:

• E30 Wagen
    replied

Fair enough. Personally, I have a hard time digesting the idea of paying $60k for a 30-35yo car in the same league as an E30 over little things like mint door panels. But I guess a rich guy with $60k to burn who wants a mint garden variety E30 might not mind...
    This isn't just a "mint" car. It's a time capsule. How often in life have you wanted to go back in time? That's like the ultimate fantasy, right? Well, with this car you actually can, sort of. Maybe 20 years ago you could have built/restored an e30 with all new parts from BMW, but not any more, and even then it would have cost a fortune. Among numerous other parts, getting a brand new OEM interior just isn't going to happen today. You can try to find matching OE materials but it's just not the same. This car is like your one chance to go back 30 years and experience what a 100% brand new e30 is like. Not restored, new. And, it's not some garden variety version, it's a somewhat rare early model 325ix. Maybe not that exciting but it's still kinda special.

Leave a comment:

• ZeKahr
    replied
    Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
    Rubber hoses and bushings won't cost more than $1,000, they are also readily available.

Mint panels are not available.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    they misspelled craptastic.

Leave a comment:

• Aleman
    replied

VW Mini Camaro (project car) - $3200 (Newman Lake)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...111971140.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	00b0b_67lwae6vzR7_600x450.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	9921639

VW Mini Camaro Early 70's Funtastik Camaro
    Shorted VW frame - fiberglass body in nice shape.
    Super wide period correct ET slotted mags
    does not run
    rusty chassie
    Extremely Rare!!
    Bill of sale only - no title
    $3,200 obo

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Originally posted by twright View Post
    Send him an email. You'll find out pretty quickly. Any wierd requests for emails outside of Craigslist are sure signs of problems.
    I did right away, but never heard anything back. Kind of car I would want to bump into locally on the street.

Leave a comment:

• twright
    replied
    Send him an email. You'll find out pretty quickly. Any wierd requests for emails outside of Craigslist are sure signs of problems.

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Hm. Fake ad? What is your opinion? The picture and just everything makes me wonder. I had contacted them and have not heard back. It's kind of a funny ad being in all CAPS and the way it starts off.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...110223721.html

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Not impressive, I imagine. Acceleration was never an 850 strong suit because it is so ungodly heavy. I recall the fact that a '94 850CSi is slower down the 1/4mi than a '94 Camaro Z28. FWIW the 850is tested was 5x the price of a camaro at the time as well.
    I would still rather have an 850 over the Z28 though :)

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by 7800-RPM View Post

I wonder what that acceleration feels like up shifting into third .. probably moves about twice the distance as an 325is .. but E30 soo much better in my eyes..
    850i's were never really fast especially off the line. They were known for their effortlessly smooth pull, especially on the highway. At speed 60mph plus that car just pulled and pulled and pulled but it was so smooth. It was meant to cruise at high speeds and feel like you were doing 60.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X