No announcement yet.

Z3 or Miata?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a wifey car guys not for him! keep it cheap so it does not take away from your car funds, so is say miata for cheapness in long term maint.

Comment

I vote miata as well, but I never really liked the Z3 so maybe I'm biased. Cheap parts and easy to work on. My coworker has a NA miata with a Honda Odyssey V6 in it, and the thing really scoots. The V6 is actually lighter than the 4 cylinder so it still handles like a go-kart. If you just want a fun weekend cruiser pick up a Z3, but if you care more about the driving experience get the miata.

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
      I can not own/drive a miata because i am 6'3 and i am looking over the top of the windshield to drive.
      I'm only 5' 10" and I am pretty much doing the same thing in a Z3
      -Alex

Comment

M42 powered Z3 all the way. Such a great car for the money, and the E36 chassis doesn't disappoint.
        '71 E-Type Jag
        '91 318iS

Comment

Originally posted by rlich8 View Post
          M42 powered Z3 all the way. Such a great car for the money, and the E36 chassis doesn't disappoint.
          I thought the Zed was based off of the E30 chassis? Or am I thinking of the Z1?
          "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
          The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

The Z3 and Z1 is based off both the e30 and e36 chassis. The Z1 has a e30 front and e36 rear, while the z3 has e36 and e30 rear. The Z1 also had a m20 while most of the z3s were based off of a e46 engine.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I test drove a Miata my brother was looking at, which he ended up buying. I'd been driving a pretty clean e36 at the time, so the Miata just felt like a very budget-wise car and didn't excite me. My brother told me the rpms were very high at like 80mph and was overall kinda buzzy. If I wanted a quiet, stylish roadster that will comfortably cruise at 80 all day I'd look for a well maintained Z3.
              My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
                I thought the Zed was based off of the E30 chassis? Or am I thinking of the Z1?
                Z1 is E30, Z3 is E36/7 and Z4, something totally different haha.
                '71 E-Type Jag
                '91 318iS

Comment

The Z3 is closer to the E30 than the E36. It's basically a 5 lug E30 with a rag top. The Z4 has the E46 suspension (except for the Z4M which has E36 fronts for some reason)
                  -Alex

Comment

Z3 or Miata?

After owning 3 miatas. Miata.

Despite having 2 engines blow up, neither caused by engine failure, caused by damage to radiator/ cooling system and engine overheat. The engines are bulletproof, run em at 7000 rpm all day no issues. (The first thing to break was actually the throttle body valve due to the engine intake harmonics at 7000+ rpm)

That said this is not a good place to ask what car you should buy your wife. The z3 is no doubt the better daily driver, less noise, more torque, more comfort, better sound system, etc. For a car enthusiast who doesn't care about that shit and cares more about the driving experience and reliability, the miata is hard to beat.

I am also 6'3 and have no problems fitting in a miata, even with helmet and rollcage.

I also find that girls dig the miata. It shows you don't have anything to compensate for, unlike drivers of lifted pickups and blacked out mustangs, so I think it communicates manliness rather well.
                    Last edited by pandaboo911; 06-05-2015, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                      The Z3 is closer to the E30 than the E36. It's basically a 5 lug E30 with a rag top. The Z4 has the E46 suspension (except for the Z4M which has E36 fronts for some reason)
                      The z3 is actually closer to the e36. The z3 only shares the rear suspension with the e30
                      My Garage
                      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

E36 front suspension is basically the same as e30 (mac struts). In fact most of it bolts in.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                          Which is easier to maintain: Z3 or Miata?
                          This really isn't even a question that needs to be asked. If you're asking which one people here would rather have that's one thing, but one would have to be delusional to suggest that the Z3 is cheaper or easier to maintain.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Get the Miata.

-It's cheaper
                            -It's cheaper and easier to maintain
                            -You'll be less emotionally involved with it, so you won't get annoyed if she's not treating it how you would.
                            -You'll grow to like it, and it'll be good to have something a little different in the garage.
                            -Nick
                            sigpic
                            1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

Comment

I would rule out the 4 cylinder Z3 right off the bat, and leave the rest to this one notion: get whichever car has been taken care of the most. Whichever has the most history. Get the car you'll feel proud of, not for what it is, but for how it's been driven.

I bought a Toyota pickup from an old gentleman who had A/C installed at the delearship in 1992 because it's what he wanted. And he has all the records to prove it. And I'm more proud of that car than I am of my bmw I bought from some kid who said he bought it from an old guy in florida and really I only have a vague puzzle of the car's life I've put together from finding clues along my time with the car. Not that I resent my car for its scandalous past, I'm just saying I appreciate what the Toyota had to offer now that I've seen the other side.

Any car can be a good car as long as it's been cared for. Both the Z3 and Miata have points going for them. I would prefer the simplistic interior of the Miata, but also the extra 2 cylinders of the Z3. But what I'm saying is sit down and talk with owners of each car, and pick whichever you like most based not on the car, but on who drives and maintains the car. Keep your horizons open. Don't turn down what could be a perfectly good enthusiast-maintained car based on its badge.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Z3

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X