Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318 vs 325

Greetings friends!

I'm fairly set in my ways with these cars but I had a thought and I'd like to get some different perspectives on it.

I was recently given the opportunity to own a 318i but I already have my 325is. So basically I would like to know, if you have one or the other or both, what do you like about yours? Is the 4-cylinder receptive to mods? turbos, swaps etc.

Every input is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car than win by an inch because someone else built it for me... Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book."

-MOOG

I got mid 30s with the m42 coming home on the I90, besides that the m42 is only good to swap into a 2002. You should just search next time, this subject has been beaten to death.
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

OP is being too vague. "opportunity to own" could translate to free. if so, fuck it why not, especially if it's clean

Comment

I own an 318is and a 76 02. While I support the merge of an M42 in to an 02 I would argue each have their original design functions.

Or stated another way. Way not enjoy the English major while you are driving a cheerleader!

That aside, if I am see the market correctly, the E30 is becoming desirable. Last of the round headlamps. Have both. Live a little.

Comment

Have both. Live a little.
          Ayup.

The M42 loves a good whipping. If that's your thing, you might like it.

If you're talking about an M10, then it had better be free. And that's from someone with 2 2002's...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            Ayup.

The M42 loves a good whipping. If that's your thing, you might like it.

If you're talking about an M10, then it had better be free. And that's from someone with 2 2002's...

t
            You're right, but this M10 is not that M10. The 318 M10 is like the 2002 motor after it's been diagnosed with osteoporosis swiftly followed by emphysema and anemia.

Fun fact: the 2002 motor is actually an M05, apparently.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

They're both winners. I prefer the M42 just because I don't have to do timing belts and valve adjustments, but it's not nearly as smooth as the M20. The E30 M42 is far rarer (especially the sedan), never came with an automatic, has excellent handling, better fuel mileage, more space under the hood and it loves to rev. Mine has nearly 300K miles on the original motor...can't complain about that.

There are a lot of turbo builds over at m42club. I kept mine N/A instead...updated injectors, removed the preheater mess, swapped the diff. Future plans probably include a lightweight M20 flywheel, shimmed solid lifters, Euro M47 stroker crank.

The sedan was a one year wonder...the $20K bargain basement BMW. Almost all of them are black, silver, white or red. BMW didn't even bother to offer the usual E30 options - you couldn't get cruise, OBC or a sport suspension. They never got the check control gimmick either. Mine came with a sunroof, A/C and the outside temp sensor. The M42 runs a bit rougher and has less torque. Other problems include the cam chain tensioner, profile gasket, oil pan bolts, rat's nest under the intake, etc..
              sigpic
              Save the manuals!
              '91 318i
              '86 635CSi

Comment

The 318 M10 is like the 2002 motor after it's been diagnosed with osteoporosis swiftly followed by emphysema and anemia.
                You know, I've never driven an E30 with a fresh M10. They're all high- mileage cars.
                That doesn't mean they were good, new, just that I don't have a good baseline...

And the E30M42 DID come with an auto, at least as a cabrio- that's where I get 4.27 diff gears for the race car...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If it's an M10, take it and call it a parts car. If it's an M42, go to town, but I think the M20's straight six burble is hard to pass up.

Although I'm jelly of you M42 guys and your timing chains. Screw belts.
                  "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                  The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Do it. M10 and M42 are both highly boostable. M10 318s are really light too.

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
                    If it's an M10, take it and call it a parts car. If it's an M42, go to town, but I think the M20's straight six burble is hard to pass up.

Although I'm jelly of you M42 guys and your timing chains. Screw belts.
                    You're only jealous of the chain because you don't have first hand experience with the engine. It has some serious flaws, and an M20 timing belt job is far easier than a timing chain guide replacement and case re-seal job on an M42. Don't write the M10 off so easily, it's a stout little engine.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                      Do it. M10 and M42 are both highly boostable. M10 318s are really light too.

You're only jealous of the chain because you don't have first hand experience with the engine. It has some serious flaws, and an M20 timing belt job is far easier than a timing chain guide replacement and case re-seal job on an M42. Don't write the M10 off so easily, it's a stout little engine.
                      Alright, I could use some education. What would you say are the most cruicial flaws that plague the M42? I have little experience working on them barring oil changes, changing out the radiator and doing a basic service (changing spark plugs, cap and rotor, etc...)
                      "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                      The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

If you are looking for tons of power or torque, an M42 powered car isn't for you, you are best suited to getting an M20 and juicing it up a bit.

IMO the best classic BMW's are not about that kind of driving experience, but about a balanced one. I believe that one of the touchstones of a 318iS is actually that it doesn't have a lot of power. It is a very "sure" little car on the road. Power can sometimes erase that sureness. It is a car that you can push to it's limits frequently. I do not compete at all with my car.. auto crossing, rallying, hill climbs, slaloms, nothing.. I drive just for fun for myself so therefore I just need power to get down the road and I feel the 318iS is great for that... It doesn't need to be fast, just feel fast. I also have no formal training in driving past Driver's Ed when I was 15 so I tend to shy away from super powerful cars because horsepower can be dangerous..

Anything technically "is" possible, you can turbocharge it, or you could build up a really hot N/A one with the help of Metric Mechanic. They offer a 205hp M42 for $9,500. But I do not believe that is the spirit of the 318iS, just my opinion though. If thats what you like though, I will however give merit to the idea of just doing something because you can or because you want to... I do get that.

The M20 is, of course the classic BMW straight six. It requires a bit more attention and care than the M42, being that you need to do timing belts and valve adjustments.

The benefits of the M42 for me are practical; it is a modernly engineered engine compared to the M20. I am not knocking the M20 at all but it is more of a legacy product. The M42 offers features that are still considered important today... full EFI, DOHC, distributorless ignition, hydraulic valves, etc...

They are both great motors, just very different and it all comes down to what a car is for you. They both go hundreds of thousands of miles with proper care and respect. You will find people that will say go with abc because of xyz and they will beat it to death but the reality is they are both great.

Hope some of my post helps you get the result you want; only you will be able to decide what is right for you.

Full disclosure; I have a 39k original mile 1991 318iS. It is a 100% original car and the only modification I have done is install an SSSquid Tuning chip and have rebuilt the fuel injectors.
                        '71 E-Type Jag
                        '91 318iS

Comment

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
                          Alright, I could use some education. What would you say are the most cruicial flaws that plague the M42? I have little experience working on them barring oil changes, changing out the radiator and doing a basic service (changing spark plugs, cap and rotor, etc...)
                          See:
                          Originally posted by varg View Post
                          The M42 has more design and build flaws than the rest of the car around it.
                          -Oil pan bolts that weren't threadlocked from the factory
                          -Critical oil passage runs through the oil pan and when said bolts loosen can cause oil starvation
                          -Insufficient half-shell thrust bearing causes crank walk
                          -Timing chain idler gear is a common point of failure and the casting that it is mounted to is weak
                          -Profile gasket fiasco could have been avoided altogether by using a different cooling passage design between head and block
                          -Valve cover fastener design sucks, should've used bigger studs instead of weak little M6 threads in aluminum
                          -The under-intake hose mess
                          -3 piece Timing case design is very leak prone
                          -7mm exhaust studs
                          (edit)
                          Post number 318
                          ha!
                          Last edited by varg; 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Timing belt isn't that bad anyways. It's not great but considering how crucial it is I don't think it's as hard as it is proportionally crucial. Go slow, take your time, tighten the water pump then pour in some coolant to see if it leaks, and patch it back up. The only bad part for me was messing up a gasket and bleeding the coolant system. One of the only major cons of the 6 I see besides MPG is that the hg is so long if you romp on it it could go before it's up to temp compared to a 4cyl, but that's easily avoidable.
                            BMW tech
                            Umass Amherst
                            05 wrx sti

Comment

Working...
                            X