What would you consider a major fault with the E30's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
    -Cracked Dash's (unless you live in Europe; they seem to survive there)
    Come up here to the PNW, all the e30's I've ever seen all have uncracked dashes...esp those in the wrecking yards.

Heck, up here a crack free oem dash is usually the LAST thing pulled from a parts car, as nobody wants/needs one. As a result, they usually sell cheaper than elsewhere
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
      The fact that when you take ownership of the car with the M20 motor, you have to do the Timing Belt/Water pump irrespective of what the PO says.
      Well, that's just general preventative maintenance. Maybe I'm just anal, but I always try to get the most important things done to prevent a failure later on when I get a different car.

It's also a fun learning experience.
      "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
      The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Battery box rust in late models. Steering rack. Sport seats self-destructing. Dash cracking.

But mostly the fact that many seem wind up in the hands of some retard who was too cheap to fix things the right way.
        My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
          the fact that many seem wind up in the hands of some retard who was too cheap to fix things the right way.
          /thread
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
            The use of steel for brake lines and fuel lines instead of an alloy.

The design of the "bitch tube" on the M20 engine that requires massive effort to change the 50 cent rubber O-rings on it.
            Zip tie the spring compressed and its a piece of cake.

Here's an ix specific fault. Really short suspension travel in the front.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

But mostly the fact that many seem wind up in the hands of some retard who was too cheap to fix things the right way.
              Like this??
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

and the M42 ?:

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  Zip tie the spring compressed and its a piece of cake.
                  But you still have to pull the intake though, right?
                  sigpic
                  1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Nope and i've never had a problem with the so called bitch tube. haha

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
                    But you still have to pull the intake though, right?

Comment

If you change all the shifter parts including the piece on the trans that the selector rod connects to e30 shifters are pretty tight.

I'd say the most annoying is the crappy coolant systems they came up with and The timing belt on the M20.

Comment

I don't really recall any 80's cars having cupholders

Shifter is fine for me actually feels easier than my e90's shifter

steering rack is a joke although it still has more feel that any american or japanese car

I wish the seats went back further

My E30 has zero rust maybe its where you live not the cars fault
                        Last edited by Kevinl; 03-31-2015, 10:38 PM.
                        1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                        2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                        2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
                          The fact that when you take ownership of the car with the M20 motor, you have to do the Timing Belt/Water pump irrespective of what the PO says.
                          POs are the worst part. One of mine attempted to wire a sound system in, and when I put a head unit in to try it out I found that the headlights turn it all off.

Comment

Originally posted by whitebulat22 View Post
                            POs are the worst part. One of mine attempted to wire a sound system in, and when I put a head unit in to try it out I found that the headlights turn it all off.

Ahaha the same thing happened to me with my first touring. Such a frustrating experience!

Comment

Originally posted by jan318 View Post
                              and the M42 ?:
                              The M42 has more design and build flaws than the rest of the car around it.
                              -Oil pan bolts that weren't threadlocked from the factory
                              -Critical oil passage runs through the oil pan and when said bolts loosen can cause oil starvation
                              -Insufficient half-shell thrust bearing causes crank walk
                              -Timing chain idler gear is a common point of failure and the casting that it is mounted to is weak
                              -Profile gasket fiasco could have been avoided altogether by using a different cooling passage design between head and block
                              -Valve cover fastener design sucks, should've used bigger studs instead of weak little M6 threads in aluminum
                              -The under-intake hose mess
                              -3 piece Timing case design is very leak prone
                              -7mm exhaust studs

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                                Did you switch your power source to the headlight switch from k30(Hot at all times) to k15(Hot in acc., run and start)?
                                Both my e30s do this. I don't think they have been modified.

Comment

Working...
                                X