Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My alpine car will be up next week. It's been accepted and the reserve is set, just need to get more pics!
    C6Z
    S2K
    VeloN

Comment

It seems like BMW is the most popular marque on BaT. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing or how it reflects on BMW enthusiasts. Thoughts?
      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
        It seems like BMW is the most popular marque on BaT. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing or how it reflects on BMW enthusiasts. Thoughts?
        You might want to see how many P-cars they've sold
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          I guess not a horrible deal on the M3 roller, I still wouldn't buy it hopefully it is returned to some kind of glory
          I don't know..

If your goal in the end is to have an M3 - then given enough time (and if you have long term storage) you could assemble a nearly-M3.

But now, he's going to have to source an S14 if he truly wants to build an M3. And the winner sounds like he is going to have someone else do the wrenching. That person may be a friend or close associate, but nobody would take on this sort of project for free.

So then what? He's 13K in the shell, it's going to take another 15-20K to get all the bits missing, and then labor/materials.

So now he's 30K in the project. You can buy a complete M3 for that. Sure, it will need some work, but it won't have a body that has been hacked up.

Maybe if he wanted to go full 'tard and build a full on DTM replica, then yes, it's not a bad start point, but he's still going to be upside-down in it.

And to be honest, once you strip away everything to build a race car, it's not going to handle any different than a regular E30 shell. The mods you do to the M3 to make it a true race car would be the same as a regular one, and even then, you'll still be outclassed/out gunned if you are in an anything other than a non-spec class.

...but, I'd still be interested to see how this story ends.
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

True but

people buy rollers because they can be customized without having to worry about ruining a good car. I seriously doubt an S14 will go in there, otherwise, I would agree with everything you stated above. Much easier to source a car from the start rather than deal with the headaches for people wanting a pretty penny for parts you really need.

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
              people buy rollers because they can be customized without having to worry about ruining a good car. I seriously doubt an S14 will go in there, otherwise, I would agree with everything you stated above. Much easier to source a car from the start rather than deal with the headaches for people wanting a pretty penny for parts you really need.

You should read the winners other comments in the auction.

He looks to be trying to assemble an M3, or something close it.
              2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                You should read the winners other comments in the auction.

He looks to be trying to assemble an M3, or something close it.
                That seems...ambitious.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                Transaction feedback
                - jpod999

Comment

M3 almost broke 50k
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Not surprised. It's about what I was expecting to see..
                    2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks regular E30s look cooler than M3s?
                      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                        You're in a definite minority, however I do like mtech II cars as much as M3s.

Comment

Not at all. Many prefer facelift plastic bumpered or early euro cars over the "boy racer" M3 especially back in the day. These days fewer people care about subtly.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

IMO, at stock ride height the standard E30 looks better than the M3.

Lowered, the M3 all the way.
                            I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

We all know the coolest car on BaT right now is that sick E28.
                              Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=254176

Comment

That's why the first thing I do is the suspension on my M3's. Stock height is too high even on M tech springs.
                                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                                X