This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
    The rule of thumb when I started out with E30s (05-06) was that you were going to spend $15k regardless- whether that was the purchase price or what you had to spend to get it to be a nice car.
    Definitely.
    Last edited by MR E30 325is; 03-20-2017, 09:46 AM.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

^^He's talking about M3's though.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
        ^^He's talking about M3's though.
        Ah, of course.

Comment

Ahh my bad, sorry for the confusion. Post edited for clarity.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

Another 318is went up today

Bid for the chance to own a 1991 BMW 318is at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #3,604.
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Ugh, seriously.. They are just coming out of the woodwork now. BAT is just farking clickbaiting any more. That Carlsson Merc is the perfect example - seller no shows, but BAT doesn't do sh*t.

Sorry, just a little salty because we submitted a car, and they rejected it for stupid reason, but what ever.
              Last edited by djjerme; 03-21-2017, 07:29 AM.
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                Sorry, just a little salty because we submitted a car, and they rejected it for stupid reason, but what ever.
                What did you submit and why did they rejected it?
                1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Zeemz View Post
                  What did you submit and why did they rejected it?
                  Also interested.

Comment

Oh it was just that 4 door Bronzit we had for sale. It was clean as sh*t and had full history, rust free, just done everything top to bottom service, timing belt..etc. We had the reserve set reasonably, but they just gave some B.S. blanket response:

"We do not feel that your 1990 BMW 325i is a good fit for our site and audience at this time. We are very selective, and the most common reasons cars are not accepted to BaT Auctions are the following:

-Unreasonable reserve expectations
                    -Common models with many similar cars available (this one is utter BS..)
                    -Many same or similar models recently accepted (Again, utter BS as the recent flood of 318is..)

We appreciate...."

So basically, they didn't want it because it was Bronzit. Oh well, their loss, bunch of F*cktards. Car is off to Florida now with the new owner...

I have other channels to sell cars, figured I'd give them a chance, but it proved they are just more concerned with inflating bubble prices. Look at how many of the E34's didn't hit reserve. And that Merc will never hit reserve because they are trying to advertise it as something it's not..

sorry for the rant, they ran out of coffee in the office today.
                    Last edited by djjerme; 03-21-2017, 08:12 AM.
                    2016 Ford Flex

Comment

You're reading to much into a form letter.

Maybe it was the color, or the number of doors, or maybe they had a bunch of other E30s already lined up.

Lots of people think BAT is either creating a bubble or a bubble in itself.

The opposite is true. They push for really low reserves in most cases. They want a high percentage of sales.
                      That results in some very good deals on occasion.

Also note they typically list cars are in above average condition. That results in above average sale preices.

I had a conversation last week with the seller of the 8k mile '80 Rabbit. He was pissed that BAT insisted on a low reserve, and that is what the car sold for. No one forced him to list the car there, but he still walks away mad at BAT.

In the end it's just another website to sell a car. If you don't like their rates or how they do business there are many other options.
                      1991 318iC
                      1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
                        Also note they typically list cars are in above average condition.
                        I'm going to call bullsh*t on that statement.

The whole name of the site is Bring A Trailer - implying that these could be anything from projects (or rusty Porsche on Plywood wheels) to running and driving.

How is this special:

Bid for the chance to own a 1983 BMW 320i Sport at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #3,582.

And what about this rusty gem:

Bid for the chance to own a 1976 BMW 2002 Project at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #3,542.

...and how many of recent auctions are RNM. It may have been just a form letter, but it seemed like a blow off to me.

#bronzitCarsMatter.

Either way, like you said, there are plenty of other venues to sell in, and I have a few dealer friends who've had plenty of success in those ways. I guess we had just been hoping for a better experience with BAT for a first time out..
                        Last edited by djjerme; 03-22-2017, 08:17 AM.
                        2016 Ford Flex

Comment

That Carlsson Merc is the perfect example - seller no shows, but BAT doesn't do sh*t.
                          I don't follow BAT that closely...what's the story?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                            I don't follow BAT that closely...what's the story?
                            Bid for the chance to own a Carlsson 1986 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16 EVO II Clone at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #3,566.

You have to suffer through the 100+ comments, but basically, car is being advertised as something it's not. Maybe a tribute or something, but it's not a clone of the Carlsson Racecars. It's been picked apart pretty thoroughly and the seller didn't reply or offer any kind of feedback during most of the run. Judging from what it's been offered for at other Auctions, it's going to be a RNM.

I did just notice he finally replied late last night.
                            2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I'm going to call bullsh*t on that statement.

The whole name of the site is Bring A Trailer - implying that these could be anything from projects (or rusty Porsche on Plywood wheels) to running and driving.

How is this special:

Bid for the chance to own a 1983 BMW 320i Sport at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #3,582.

And what about this rusty gem:

Bid for the chance to own a 1976 BMW 2002 Project at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #3,542.

...and how many of recent auctions are RNM. It may have been just a form letter, but it seemed like a blow off to me.

#bronzitCarsMatter.

Either way, like you said, there are plenty of other venues to sell in, and I have a few dealer friends who've had plenty of success in those ways. I guess we had just been hoping for a better experience with BAT for a first time out..

They did start that way. Seems like they have drifted to above average cars with some projects thrown in.

Their sold average is still quite high.

Regardless, it is what it is. I'm still a BAT fan. It certainly isn't perfect. I think they are experiencing some serious growing pains that result in the treatment you received.
                              1991 318iC
                              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Ugh, seriously.. They are just coming out of the woodwork now.
                                Yeah, because they made 40,000k 318is cars. Tons of them out there.

Did you know BMW only made ~4,000 318 convertibles?
                                Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                                A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Working...
                                X