Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'd be nice to know before demanding premium market value. BaT seems like a total sh!t show
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
      It'd be nice to know before demanding premium market value. BaT seems like a total sh!t show
      BaT seems fine even today. The useful part about BaT is the comment section. That's where the shit filtering occurs, people do not hesitate to post if they see issues with cars, which is really useful.

Comment

Something to consider, folks - just because the BAT headline says sold for "XX,XXX", does not mean that the transaction actually happened. I speak from experience. Neither party is obligated to complete the transaction.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

True but I also have no way to confirm this information unless it’s popped up again stated that the buyer backed out. Obviously with r3v sellers (like you) we can confirm the information.

I’m glad you were able to sell yours after the fact
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
            BaT seems fine even today. The useful part about BaT is the comment section. That's where the shit filtering occurs, people do not hesitate to post if they see issues with cars, which is really useful.
            I disagree. In my opinion, the comment section is riddled with misinformation and useless banter. As a buyer, I don't like the fact that the market is driven by what can be a dud winning bid, and no one ever hears any different (and the car can't be re-posted). It's fun to watch the dumpster fire, but I don't find it to be an accurate representation of the market, even though it's driving ASKING prices up everywhere. I might sell there because of all the idiots throwing money around, but I will never buy.
            Last edited by Jb325is; 04-08-2018, 03:40 PM.
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
              Something to consider, folks - just because the BAT headline says sold for "XX,XXX", does not mean that the transaction actually happened. I speak from experience. Neither party is obligated to complete the transaction.
              Did the buyer just not want to buy it after purchasing it or was there some sort of disagreement?

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                True but I also have no way to confirm this information unless it’s popped up again stated that the buyer backed out. Obviously with r3v sellers (like you) we can confirm the information.

I’m glad you were able to sell yours after the fact
                I agree. It's hard to say whether any transactions occurred, that is for sure. I really felt like going and talking a bunch of shit about the winning bidder in my case, but decided to take the high road and just never go back on BAT again. I'm sure there are quite a few others that were in a similar situation to me, that just decided not to say anything.

But yes, it's a done deal now. Less than I really was hoping for, but it was really about finding the car the right home at the end of it all (which it did, the new owner is an acquaintance and a good guy, one of the less stressful transactions I've done in recent times).

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                I disagree. In my opinion, the comment section is riddled with misinformation and useless banter. As a buyer, I don't like the fact that the market is driven by what can be a dud winning bid, and no one ever hears any different (and the car can't be re-posted). It's fun to watch the dumpster fire, but I don't find it to be an accurate representation of the market, even though it's driving ASKING prices up everywhere. I might sell there because of all the idiots throwing money around, but I will never buy.
                This sums up my thoughts completely. Lots of alleged inflation, but are these cars *actually* bringing that kind of money, when it comes time to put up or shut up? Really hard to say.

Originally posted by rtaq View Post
                Did the buyer just not want to buy it after purchasing it or was there some sort of disagreement?
                He was a nervous nelly from the get go, wasted a bunch of my time and then decided to just back out completely. Not sure why the fuck you would bid on/win an auction for a $25k, thirty-year-old car, if you weren't 1000000% certain you wanted it. Mind boggling.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

^ the same reason EBay is a joke. I know people that will just add 10,000 to the reserve price so it never hits, basically just using the auction format for marketing, quite successfully. After dealing with dozens of flake auction “winners”, sellers become more resourceful.

Comment

Took me a second to find it, but it reminded me of another s52 e30 having buyers back out. BaT posted it again, got $5k less, and then the buyer was a no show again.

Bid for the chance to own a S52-Powered 1989 BMW 325i at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #1,500.

Bid for the chance to own a S52-Powered 1989 BMW 325i at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #1,731.

Comment

While there certainly are cars getting $20k+ I think they are few and far between. BAT is all the rage right now and people are getting caught up in the excitement of the bidding wars plus all the commentary. I even follow the closing minutes of some cars and I don't have any intention of bidding. Seeing people going back and forth in real time on a forum, seemingly dropping $20-40K + like nothing is entertaining. Especially when it's a car that could be built or advertised on forums for much less.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by rtaq View Post
                        Took me a second to find it, but it reminded me of another s52 e30 having buyers back out. BaT posted it again, got $5k less, and then the buyer was a no show again.

Bid for the chance to own a S52-Powered 1989 BMW 325i at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #1,500.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-32i-s52-7/
                        The second time it was listed, the winner supposedly again bailed. But that winner has bid more recently (January 2018) on the site and was obviously not banned. So that one was an weird situation.

In the end, BAT made money.
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                          its possible that this is how its titled. after hurricane ike in 2008, I went to look at a flood damaged facelift coupe that was titled as an 87. I don't know how its possible but still.....

Not sure about other states, but FL hasn't had paper titles in years. When you want to sell a car, you can either go to the tag agency with the buyer, or request a paper title.

Paperwork is almost obsolete - and I still get people who tell me I "must fax" something. I once asked gov't worker when on the phone about sales tax and I asked what thy do with the faxes when thy come in. I fell over with the reply "scan it and save it on our server". She couldn't answer why I must fax and can't scan here and email eliminating the paper step. hah
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Vermont doesn't issue Paper titles for older cars either.

The Oregon DMV was confused as Phuck when I transfered the Touring from the importer in Vermont to Oregon. We still have paper titles, registration, both front and rear plates required..etc. And still can't pump our own gas (unless you have a commercial account).
                            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Hawaiian 1989 325iS... I wonder how this will work out

Bid for the chance to own a 1989 BMW 325is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #9,104.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Hawaiian 1989 325iS... I wonder how this will work out

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-325is-27/
                                looks pretty minty but it being way over there on an island is a bit of a deterrent
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X