This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
    I know the car. Lipstick on a pig as far as the "recent paintwork" goes. Meh.
    Thats a nice enough car,,, its not "great" its just a decently nice E30M3.
    I like that its a somewhat well preserved one owner car. No one stanced it, no flat brim mods, etc.
    The owner was probably a real E30M3 guy and took what appears to be pretty good care of it, but,,, I dont get why its missing its engine screening and one of the inside headlight plastics.
    Totally unmolested cars shouldnt be missing those things.

What I "really" I dont get about that car is why people are fawning over the seller and the video.
    The video was pretty meh. Just a guy winding out an engine on city streets. Its not like the guy took the stret car and knocked out a 2:10 lap at Watkins Glen with it or something. That seller seems to have many fanbois for some reason.

The sad thing is, that car right there was the prototypical $15K car back not 5-6 years ago. So sad.
    Jimmy P.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
    92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
    98 318Ti Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
      Thats a nice enough car,,, its not "great" its just a decently nice E30M3.
      I like that its a somewhat well preserved one owner car. No one stanced it, no flat brim mods, etc.
      The owner was probably a real E30M3 guy and took what appears to be pretty good care of it, but,,, I dont get why its missing its engine screening and one of the inside headlight plastics.
      Totally unmolested cars shouldnt be missing those things.

What I "really" I dont get about that car is why people are fawning over the seller and the video.
      The video was pretty meh. Just a guy winding out an engine on city streets. Its not like the guy took the stret car and knocked out a 2:10 lap at Watkins Glen with it or something. That seller seems to have many fanbois for some reason.

The sad thing is, that car right there was the prototypical $15K car back not 5-6 years ago. So sad.

I know a lot about the car that I've chosen not to say.

Original owner was a nice older female doctor who daily drove the car during the nice months only. My lady worked in the office she worked for and would see the car regularly. At one point, she asked if it would ever be for sale, to which she replied "no, I'm going to give it to my grandson when he turns 16" (he was under the age of five at this stage). Clearly, that did not happen.

A good friend of mine worked at an independent Euro/Asian shop for a while. According to him, the owner likes to hoard cars strictly for the sole intention of "flipping to double the initial purchase price". The nice lady who owned the M3 was a customer of his. She is not in good health, so she sold the car to him for not very much money (I won't reveal because it isn't my place, but it was a steal in today's world). The owner drove it straight home, put it in his garage, and until he drove it to the painter, he didn't drive it a single time (according to my friend). Never even registered it. I guess the shop owner decided to sell the car a few weeks ago and had some stuff done so he could get top dollar...

The car had some rust issues in the cowl that were not repaired properly at all (read: bondo and kitty hair).
      RH fender was "repaired due to a mishap with a landscape truck"
      Poor touch ups done all over the car
      Wheel wells painted black
      When my friend inspected the car further, he found that the RH quarter panel has been replaced (poor paint work and prep, with peeling paint around the edge of the bottom of the window), along with the RH fender...yeah, mishap with a landscape truck...also quarter and fender were painted at different times and it shows

I don't know why Avant Garde gets put on a pedestal because of some fancy pictures, but the people of bring a trailer are so goddamn stupid, they'll eat anything up, clearly.

All that said, it is a presentable car, but there is a lot more going on there that meets the eye. The problem I have is the misrepresentation and putting lipstick on a pig to try to get top dollar.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

The problem I have is the misrepresentation and putting lipstick on a pig to try to get top dollar.
        The collector market on BaT is like the craigslist scumbag market with better production value.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          The collector market on BaT is like the craigslist scumbag market with better production value.
          Couldn’t have put it better myself. Nailed it.

Comment

Like it or not, extremely well presented. The backstory as presented here is eye opening though, and the lack of disclosure fundamentally dishonorable
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Absolutely W T F. I thought BaT was supposed to be bit better at catching this type of misrepresentation.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                LOL,, thats quote worthy
                Jimmy P.
                98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

I know a lot about the car that I've chosen not to say.

Original owner was a nice older female doctor who daily drove the car during the nice months only. My lady worked in the office she worked for and would see the car regularly. At one point, she asked if it would ever be for sale, to which she replied "no, I'm going to give it to my grandson when he turns 16" (he was under the age of five at this stage). Clearly, that did not happen.

A good friend of mine worked at an independent Euro/Asian shop for a while. According to him, the owner likes to hoard cars strictly for the sole intention of "flipping to double the initial purchase price". The nice lady who owned the M3 was a customer of his. She is not in good health, so she sold the car to him for not very much money (I won't reveal because it isn't my place, but it was a steal in today's world). The owner drove it straight home, put it in his garage, and until he drove it to the painter, he didn't drive it a single time (according to my friend). Never even registered it. I guess the shop owner decided to sell the car a few weeks ago and had some stuff done so he could get top dollar...

The car had some rust issues in the cowl that were not repaired properly at all (read: bondo and kitty hair).
                  RH fender was "repaired due to a mishap with a landscape truck"
                  Poor touch ups done all over the car
                  Wheel wells painted black
                  When my friend inspected the car further, he found that the RH quarter panel has been replaced (poor paint work and prep, with peeling paint around the edge of the bottom of the window), along with the RH fender...yeah, mishap with a landscape truck...also quarter and fender were painted at different times and it shows

I don't know why Avant Garde gets put on a pedestal because of some fancy pictures, but the people of bring a trailer are so goddamn stupid, they'll eat anything up, clearly.

All that said, it is a presentable car, but there is a lot more going on there that meets the eye. The problem I have is the misrepresentation and putting lipstick on a pig to try to get top dollar.
                  Great stuff.
                  Maybe it wouldn't have been a $15k car back in the day. Especially with the cowl rust.
                  Oddly enough there was also a lady in my town, she daily drove an Alpine white E30M3 forever, like forever. I used to see that car for years. Older blond lady. I never caught up to her to get her story but I had people say she worked at a law office.
                  I was told she just loved the car. Have not seen it in a little while. I still wonder what happened to it.
                  Jimmy P.
                  98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                    Great stuff.
                    Maybe it wouldn't have been a $15k car back in the day. Especially with the cowl rust.
                    Oddly enough there was also a lady in my town, she daily drove an Alpine white E30M3 forever, like forever. I used to see that car for years. Older blond lady. I never caught up to her to get her story but I had people say she worked at a law office.
                    I was told she just loved the car. Have not seen it in a little while. I still wonder what happened to it.
                    For sure. I would have happily bought Gloria’s car, had i known it were for sale, but didn’t know. Just bums me out that the person who bought it, did not do it any justice at all :/

Comment

Fucking terrible. I bet she would have gotten a better deal also.

Comment

Bring a Trailer Auctions, E30 edition

...and that post got flagged as non constructive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Back up from what I can see now.

Comment

I was pumped to bid on it until I read the BAT comment with the backstory, now I'm torn. If the fender was really spliced, the cowl actually badly repaired (as in it will need attention again) and it has several obvious shades of mismatched white from 5 feet away, I'm out. Unfortunately I am hearing two opposing stories, one sounds like the car needs a bare metal restore and the other shows photos of no issues. I don't mind paying market for a good car, just don't want to be conned into paying a premium for a misrepresented car that will cost another $10k to make right, and lose even more in no longer being 'original'.
                            Does anyone have proof of a the supposed hack repairs?

Comment

That’s up to you to decide.

Here’s where both stories match, the mileage was mostly put on by original owner, the cowl has rust and was repaired (by whom is the big question) and there is some variation in the color. Both sides agree on those.

What the selling dealer/mechanic bought it for (not AG) from the doctor was fair considering the work he admitted had been done. Now what said mechanic/dealer had been trying to sell/flip it for and the current bid, are more than I’d be willing to spend on it.

If you’re local, try and see it in person, if not, get a PPI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                              2016 Ford Flex
                              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Thanks, a PPI would be tough to pull off in time at this juncture and I'm losing interest every grand it goes up at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X