This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    I'm always curious what the weight and balance of a S54 swapped E30 looks like.

Not bad actually. But it is a setup that definitely benefits from as wide of a tire as you can get under it.

There’s a couple swaps at the shop right now, a track only car (caged, aero, fender flares..etc), a Touring (not quite finished) and a two door.

I’ve been considering using an M54B30 in my racecar for enduros. It’s dead nuts reliable, and power band is good for a light car like an E30 on the track. Plus, low mileage examples can be found in 5 series for cheap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

That s54 car could really stand to have more pictures posted. I think that would boost the interest.
      Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
      COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Already at 16k the s54 climbing pretty fast.

Comment

I like the M54 S770 more than that S54 car.
          I know people get all tight in the pants over anything with an S54 in it, but the S770 looks way more finished.

The S54 car doesnt have one shot of the backseats, so I am assuming they didnt even finish the rears the same as the fronts.
          That would make a good weekend track toy (which would make all the MTech upholstery a waste, but the Cabrio appears to be a much nicer overall car
          Jimmy P.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
          92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
          98 318Ti Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
            I like the M54 S770 more than that S54 car.
            I know people get all tight in the pants over anything with an S54 in it, but the S770 looks way more finished.

The S54 car doesnt have one shot of the backseats, so I am assuming they didnt even finish the rears the same as the fronts.
            That would make a good weekend track toy (which would make all the MTech upholstery a waste, but the Cabrio appears to be a much nicer overall car

I agree, the vert looks really cleanly built

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

AC is necessary, I saw IL on that list, it gets damn hot and humid in Chicago in the summer.

Anyway that is the thing that is holding up finishing my car, I won't be done till AC is proper.

I wouldnt buy a car without working AC unless it was for track only.
              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

1990 325i Convertible
                Bid for the chance to own a 1990 BMW 325i Cabriolet 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #19,218.
                Attached Files
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I am very close to listing my E30 for sale and would like the people's opinion in this thread (I'm considering BaT as the listing agency).

I have a crappy, out-of-date build thread somewhere, but the gist of my E30 is:
                  -1991 318is chassis with original paint, FL car, no rust, no accidents at all.
                  -M52 Swap converted to OBD1 with bunch of bolt ons
                  -Cleaned up engine bay, wiring harness, etc
                  -Gutted interior, bolt-in roll bar, Kirkey race seats, flocked dash, Lowes outdoor carpet
                  -Custom STACK DTM cluster, rewired complete car, Ground control coilover suspension, polyurethane bushings for everything, SS brake lines, 3.25LSD, ZF320 trans, with associated 24v swap parts

Ball-park? $10k?

Edit: found my "build-thread"...the pictures do not show the current condition well. Paint looks amazing and the interior is cleaner.
                  https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...hlight=klaudia
                  Last edited by dsobering47; 05-20-2019, 05:47 PM. Reason: Link

Comment

Not sure what bat will bring, but this looks like a seriously fun car.
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    1982 528e - Sold
                    1987 325e - Totalled
                    1990 325is - Sold
                    1997 540i6 - Sold
                    1991 325ic - Sold
                    2013 335i - Sold
                    2005 X5 - Daily
                    1991 318is - *work in progress*

Comment

Originally posted by dsobering47 View Post
                      I am very close to listing my E30 for sale and would like the people's opinion in this thread (I'm considering BaT as the listing agency).

-Gutted interior, bolt-in roll bar, Kirkey race seats, flocked dash, Lowes outdoor carpet
                      -Custom STACK DTM cluster, rewired complete car, Ground control coilover suspension, polyurethane bushings for everything, SS brake lines, 3.25LSD, ZF320 trans, with associated 24v swap parts

Ball-park? $10k?

Edit: found my "build-thread"...the pictures do not show the current condition well. Paint looks amazing and the interior is cleaner.

But is the AC functional? That’s 5k right there...

Honestly though, I think you’d be best to try and get the interior back to stock-ish. Look back over the completed auctions on the front page and compare the other 318is swaps.

If you do get it listed on BAT, you’ll be blindsided by comments about “why would someone swap a 318is..”. It’s gained mythic proportions in their world now. Also, an M52 swap is going to be a hard sell, most high dollar auctions for 24v swaps are M3 motors (S50,S52,S54). The flocked dash and Lowe’s outdoor carpet might not be attractive to bidders either.

Basically, if you can piece together a stick interior for maybe a grand, it could be the difference between your car bidding up to 5k or breaking 12k.

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Honestly, it seems like modified / swapped E30's don't fetch well on BAT. The BAT community for the most part wants mostly original cars. Thats what I've seen from my observation though, others may have a different opinion.
                        Steve • Toronto
                        1991 318is • Brillantrot
                        Build Thread

Comment

No power steering, no ABS, no AC, crank windows+sunroof.

Comment

Ball-park? $10k?

The car sounds fun, but those people will roast that car.
                            I wouldnt go anywhere near BAT with that car.
                            They dont get stuff like that.
                            Jimmy P.
                            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                            92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                            98 318Ti Morea Green
                            04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                              The car sounds fun, but those people will roast that car.
                              I wouldnt go anywhere near BAT with that car.
                              They dont get stuff like that.
                              Agreed, that looks like a very purpose oriented car - BAT will shred that car to pieces.
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

No power steering, no ABS, no AC, crank windows+sunroof.

Not a $10k BaT car. I fought back and forth about listing the Aluminum Monster which sounds a lot like yours and was worried about those mods being deal breakers. In the end I sold it for $11k privately without the BaT weeklong headache
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X