Announcement

Collapse

POST YOUR THREAD IN THE CORRECT FORUM

The General Discussion forum is NOT a catch-all.

Please post your topic in the correct subforum.

Technical questions do not belong in General Discussion, neither do body kit or wheel fitment questions. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary.

This helps keep R3VLimited nice and organized so others can more easily find what they are looking for.

Thank you,
R3V Staff
See more
See less

Bring a Trailer Auctions, E30 edition

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jordan did a good M54 write up: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=383897

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

speaking of AC in cars lol

https://youtu.be/RXeBjvTR9yU?t=109
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
        Yes, the 3.0 or you’re wasting your time. The engine management is much more difficult than an S54, I’d have to look it up again, but I think a reflash can disable the immobilizer stuff requiring the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
        Doesn't seem worth it for 230hp when that's not even remotely difficult with a turbo M20, you could even run a small intercooler and have space for a decent oil cooler for track day use. Though turbo M20 is not without its problems as anyone familiar with my project will know.
        @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
        [b u i l d]
        [Car of the month: April 2018]

0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

Comment

To get the turbo to last an entire race, you're going to be dropping a ton in cooling and even then... turbo's in the amateur racing world don't have the best reputation for reliability. Sure there is exceptions, and teams that manage to get them to last most of a season, but outside Time Attack/Hillclimb, it's not that common in Road racing at our level.

For a road car, sure, a turbo is a good option, and possibly something I would consider for the Touring at some point.
          Last edited by djjerme; 05-21-2019, 08:43 PM.
          1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          1991 Racecar (Chase Schmidt's former drift car - M30)
          2006 BMW X3
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

amateur racing
            I don't recall saying anything about racing. "Track days" implies a street car that sees "track days" not a stripped out caged etc race car. Turbo M20s are a flat out stupid choice for racing, you'd wind up in a class you're not remotely competitive in with a broken car. For a car with M54 power goals a turbo M20 can be had that will make that power reliably with ease and with the small intercooler required a good oil cooler and radiator will fit without too much trouble. Seen it done. Race E30s run such a gamut of classes, budgets and levels of custom fab work from barely legal cage and a big brake kit to tube front ends, carbon body panels and custom suspension components, they aren't even worth debating. IMO with an E30 and racing you're better off staying in spec or a class where more power isn't a requirement, you can't get far on good looks and classic reputation alone when there are better cars ready to eat your lunch in stock trim.
            Last edited by varg; 05-21-2019, 09:32 PM.
            @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
            [b u i l d]

Comment

To get the turbo to last an entire race, you're going to be dropping a ton in cooling and even then... turbo's in the amateur racing world don't have the best reputation for reliability. Sure there is exceptions, and teams that manage to get them to last most of a season, but outside Time Attack/Hillclimb, it's not that common in Road racing at our level.

For a road car, sure, a turbo is a good option, and possibly something I would consider for the Touring at some point.

Yeah in Lemons Eyesore are the only team on the West coast to successfully campaign a turbo and even they Ďsplode regularly, despite having a Mazda engineer on the team [emoji13][emoji23][emoji2369]

@kronos and myself have had a lot of fun with m30b35ís which are cheap, fast and reliable.

Comment

Letís try to keep this on topic guys
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
                Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
                Originally posted by Melon
                Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Letís try to keep this on topic guys

Fine....

BAT sucks.

[emoji38][emoji38]

1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
                  2006 BMW X3

Comment

Fine....

BAT sucks.

:rofl:

thank you ;)

1988 325i Convertible
                    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-325i-12/

Bronzit fans assemble. low miles AND bottlecaps. they will blow their load on this one haha
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
                    Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
                    Originally posted by Melon
                    Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.

Comment

You just know it's going to fetch something stupid like 15K.

Meanwhile, the Non-AC LS powered touring is ending today. Sitting at 16K, I'm thinking this will be a RNM.
                      1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
                      2006 BMW X3

Comment

That 1990 "is" sold for $9750 which I think was a solid price for that car overall. Agreed on the touring not meeting reserve unless a bidding war kicks off.

Comment

Random question -

What do people here really like about BAT and really dislike about BAT?
                          I'd like to see opinions from sellers, buyers, lurkers and everything in between if possible.

Thanks guys!
                          The Snow Leopard - 1990 325is

Comment

$20,0000? Low miles, all original, good paint and an automatic convertible to boot. This is the perfect car for the collector crowd - nice to look at and boring as all hell to drive so the enthusiasts aren't losing another fun car to the bubble.
                            @turbovarg
                            [b u i l d]

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
                              Random question -

I'd like to see opinions from sellers, buyers, lurkers and everything in between if possible.

Thanks guys!

This.

I originally joined the site almost 10 yrs ago because it had really cool/oddball/unique car listings for sale that people found on local Craigslist, parked in neighborhoods or found in who knows where. The comments were by people who knew strange trivia, odd quips and some times snarky commentary. But you also saw a lot of diamonds in the rough for good steals to the right person who knew how to fix them. Some times, you'd even get follow up stories. It was a site for people who liked cars and were looking for that next project.

Now it's just about car values. People bitching about people who wouldn't buy anything anyways, or stroking off to some high roller trying to prove how much money he can spend on a car. It's all about getting the highest dollar for some car. It went from a car site, to an auction site. It's not Bring A Trailer any more, it's Bring A Winning Bid or GTFO...

That's what rubs me wrong about it.

Last edited by djjerme; 05-22-2019, 01:33 PM.
                              1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
                              2006 BMW X3

Comment

Originally Posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
                                Random question -

Thanks guys!

This.

I originally joined the site almost 10 yrs ago because it had really cool/oddball/unique car listings for sale that people found on local Craigslist, parked in neighborhoods or found in who knows where. The comments were by people who knew strange trivia, odd quips and some times snarky commentary. But you also saw a lot of diamonds in the rough for good steals to the right person who knew how to fix them. Some times, you'd even get follow up stories. It was a site for people who liked cars and were looking for that next project.

Now it's just about car values. People bitching about people who wouldn't buy anything anyways, or stroking off to some high roller trying to prove how much money he can spend on a car. It's all about getting the highest dollar for some car. It went from a car site, to an auction site. It's not Bring A Trailer any more, it's Bring A Winning Bid or GTFO...

That's what rubs me wrong about it.

Appreciate the feedback!
                                The Snow Leopard - 1990 325is

Comment

Working...
                                X