Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real world MPG difference from e10 to 100% gasoline.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    it still contains less energy per gallon. you can't get around that - a modern car will still get better mileage on E0.
    You guys are lucky to be able to buy E0.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
      You can too, presuming one of these stations is near enough at hand. http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IN

Comment

I can but only in 90 octane. I used to live a mile from a refinery and they had a gas station on my corner where I could get 92 octane E0. it was great. But I think they had to phase even that out, so now the only choice is 90 E0, or 92 E10. I don't think it's worth paying the premium for E0 when it's only 90 octane..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Setting all the MPG and HP..etc aside, the biggest issue with Ethanol fuels is moisture. They attract moisture/water and will go bad quickly. This is why you should never use any ethanol fuel in a lawn mower/race car..etc. anything that sits for extended periods of time. And if you simple must, then add some sort of stabilizer.

In fact, the last lawn mower I purchased, specifically said to use "clean" 100% fuel, any ethanol fuel will void the warranty.
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            You can too, presuming one of these stations is near enough at hand. http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IN
            And presuming that the list is accurate and not painfully outdated. It's garbage for my area. Prior to the new station opening up down the road for me and offering ethanol free gasoline there was no way to get it anywhere nearby without going to the marina and paying $4/gallon + for marine gasoline.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              And presuming that the list is accurate and not painfully outdated. It's garbage for my area. Prior to the new station opening up down the road for me and offering ethanol free gasoline there was no way to get it anywhere nearby without going to the marina and paying $4/gallon + for marine gasoline.
              That's true. Does Gas Buddy have an E-0 info box for stations? Can't say I've seen any stuff about that before through the mobile interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                Yeah I think its ignorant to say Corn fuel doesnt belong in any car engine, Race cars often run E85 or alcohol fuels.

Just old Cars are not meant to run corn.
                It's not stretching it out, It would be one thing if you got better mileage on it. It attracts water it causes more damage to fuel systems.

Race Cars cause they truly car about mpg, correct. If they did then they'd be working to go the whole race on one stop. E85 has great resistance to detonation as does Alcohol.

FI cars burn it like a champ but it does not give you better mpg.

Originally posted by varg View Post
                Our area doesn't sell any E Zero.

Originally posted by RedTeam View Post
                I agree with Wschnitz. Ethanol is like a middle ground between gasoline and top fuel. Lower energy density, but also a lower air to fuel ratio. Yes, it will corrode an engine quickly if it's not designed for it, but as long as it's fuel injected with O2 sensors, it should have no problem burning it.
                It will burn it but if your system was not designed for it aka E30's with Steel fuel tanks and metal fuel lines....
                Last edited by M-technik-3; 05-10-2016, 06:24 AM.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I actually have a CFN account, and it's surprising how many commercial fuel station carry E0 fuels.

We load up the race cars and some of the other cars with it when ever we get the chance. My buddy refuses to run anything but E0 in his 1M (can't say I blame him..)
                  2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I'm honestly afraid to go e85 on the s4 because of the inconsistent tendencies.

There's a station about a half hour away that carries it, but I don't feel like testing and worrying about it going bad in the tank while the car sits?

Now as far as fuel systems go, the S4 is good for it, I'm even running the walbro 450 e85 pump already.

All this talk kind of makes me want to go for it. I will end up throwing a rod eventually (will be around 550awhp/tq), but hey it's not my DD anymore.
                    No E30 Club
                    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

You might have to pull the timing back a bit.
                      2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                        Yeah, sadly the closest one is about 40 min away from my house.

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                          You might have to pull the timing back a bit.
                          or it might want more timing :)

E85 is a godsend to turbocharged engines especially here where 91 is all we get which is not adequate on a stock turbocharged vehicle

I tried my 335i with a 91 octane tune and it lasted about 20 mins till I went and found an e85 station
                          1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                          2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                          2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Yeah, sadly the closest one is about 40 min away from my house.
                            could be one close, i added one to that list a while back.
                            if people dont add it, then its not there. those are just confirmed stations

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                              Now as far as fuel systems go, the S4 is good for it, I'm even running the walbro 450 e85 pump already.
                              Pump's not the only thing, the rubber lines corrode and turn to goo inside.

My friend was a chainsaw mechanic for Stihl, he said that most issues with them not running was ethanol in the fuel, it kills the carb seals, float bowls, fuel lines. The fuel systems in anything not made in the last few years isn't made for it.
                              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                              Originally posted by roguetoaster
                              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

The primary reason your fuel mileage goes down based on the amount of Ethanol in the fuel is the Stoichiometric Air/fuel ratio for Gasoline is 14.7:1 (This is based on weight not volume) and Alcohol is 6.4:1. Gasoline weighs between 5.8-6.5 pounds/gal and Ethanol is 6.5 lbs/gal so there is not a huge difference in weight/volume but there is the issue of almost 2.3 times the amount of Alcohol by volume to achieve the correct AFR. Adding 10% Ethanol to your fuel should under the best of conditions at the same time cost you 10% more total volume to meet the AFR you are looking for.

Then there is the hygroscopic properties of Alcohol (it absorbs water from the air) and the corrosion (hoses, fittings, gaskets etc) that were not designed to live in a Alcohol environment.

Comment

Working...
                                X