The Grand Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drew_step View Post
    The laps were done differently though - Chris Harris did running laps while GT did standing laps (at least that's what it looked like). Since the P1 seemed the hardest to launch, but also had the highest trap speeds, the results actually seem pretty consistent (and also make Chris Harris' times not nearly as impressive).
    Yeah a lot of benchracers are completely ignoring the hot laps vs standing start aspect of this.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
      Not going to happen. First off, I find Clarkson to be offensive physically and mentally. He's a classically insecure "Do you know who I am?!!" type. He's the Roger Ailes of automotive journalism. Or in another way, he's the Sarah Jessica Parker of men's television. Other guys think he's great, and there's no reasoning with it. Just like women with SJP. Horsey face and all.

Apart from him, what about the episode? That big 3+ million dollar intro that was so hyped, for what? Three custom Mustangs driving to a Burning Man ripoff? Several overdone and unfunny skits, and an unlikable caricature of a mean-spirited American redneck to do the benchmark driving? Communist this and that? That hasn't been a decent insult since the '80's. The joke should have referred to foreign car technology as "terrorist," not "communist." There, see how easy it is?

Now that I'm thinking about how to improve the show, they should have spent a good chunk of the episode cutting in to showing all the other cool cars that showed up to the desert scene, with interviews of the owners who were fans enough to suffer in the desert. Mix it in between segments of the hypercar shootout. Leave it it at that. Introduce the track and (hopefully different) pro driver in the next episode. The episode got it wrong in being more about the grand entrance, fanfare, and sentimentalism for the trio, rather than any kind of thanks for the loyal fans that made it all possible. I imagine that's Clarkson's own arrogance at play (again).

Look, this is just my opinion in a public forum regarding a public topic. I'm not telling the rest of you that you're wrong for enjoying the show. If my opinion upsets anyone, there's no need to attack me personally for it, saying I don't get it, etc etc like Mr. Sleeve did. That was pretty small.

I'm going to stop now, before more fans take this all personally and start threatening me.

and yours is stupid but your welcome to it
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        Yeah a lot of benchracers are completely ignoring the hot laps vs standing start aspect of this.
        So you are telling me the times for the other cars are that similar under those circumstances?

If anything, I would think Grand Tour showed a standing start for entertainment value, but the times were done with flying laps. Chris Harris currently runs Blancpain Endurance series in a Bentley, and is usually within a second of the Pro drivers, I seriously doubt that the driver the Grand Tour used was any faster.
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Just saw the episode. I'm sure nader will agree with me when I say their section involving e30's was an accurate representation of the finer points of our cars. It certainly illustrated why a true car enthusiast would want to buy one. Now on to my next mod.. dual bumper delete!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I like how they had May go to the south africa spinners nonsense. To this day i dont understand the point of it

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

That was pretty good. The classic Clarkson "review" of a very cool car was a thanksgiving treat.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Overall impression after two episodes is slightly above "meh" but I will wait and see what the 3rd episode brings in. Even having the E30s spinning in this episode was just ok
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'm really trying to give the show a chance, but I'm having a hard time even finishing the second episode. The military training nonsense is where I stopped. Do you have to be drunk to watch this stuff? So there are e30s at the end of the episode? Sigh.

I think I just hate television programming in general.
                  '91 325i

Comment

I just wish they would chime in with some automotive specs- during the e30 scene, they didn't even mention "BMW" "RDW" "3-Series" "God's Chariot" "Trina" ;D
                    555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                    '95 BMW e34 525i
                    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                    '92 Range Rover Classic
                    '90 Range Rover Classic
                    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                    '67 Pontiac LeMans
                    '24 Model T Depot Hack
                    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
                      I just wish they would chime in with some automotive specs- during the e30 scene, they didn't even mention "BMW" "RDW" "3-Series" "God's Chariot" "Trina" ;D
                      they referred to our cars as "elderly"

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I'll keep watching it, but they have to stop beating the jokes into the damn pavement. 1 time? Funny. 2 times. 2x as funny. 3 times? Haha! 4 times.. hmm. 5 times? uh.. 6 times? really? 7 times? I hope the next bit is funny. 8 times? ffs...
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

I was really looking forward to the e30 bit... Turned out as a missed opportunity but we're probably the only twelve people who care. So far... It's OK. Not as good as the Bolivia special. I was hoping every episode would be like that.

Comment

Ive fallen asleep on both...seriously. Maybe I ate too much this round. Ill catch up shortly.

COTM

Comment

I always fall asleep during Top Gear/Grand Tour episodes
                              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Remind me never to buy an E30 from S.Africa
                                R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                                └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X