Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not like 'new' BMWs

The 540i was in to get the bumper resprayed. Was given a rental
    450xixis-something-convertible for the period(i've driven other models too).

I felt like I was in a...a Ford Fusion. I do not like..Ford Fusion's.

What I don't like of 'new' BMWs
    - Styling
    - 13-gear automatic (I'm exaggerating, but really..)
    - plastic.....everywhere
    - cabin noise
    - turbo lag
    - steering feedback nonexistent
    etc.

What I do like of 'new' BMWs

I get my car back, get in and and it feels like I put my favorite tailored suit back on. I will not buy a BMW past 2003.

Sorry, just ranting.
    My old Style 5 Thread / My Swap
    1991 318IS :bow: 2.5L S14 Swap/BC Coilover suspension/Some new (old) wheels/
    IS Skirt-Lip/RG Splitter/M-Technic I Spoiler/Dogleg/3.46 Diff/Euro H4 headlights etc.
    1998 528I (Sold) // 2003 540I ///M Sport

My buddy (a BMW mechanic) and I talk about it all the time. It's hard to have brand loyalty any more when the cars are all the same anymore.

The driving experience is so disconnected anymore, and lets face it - drivers today are lazy as f*ck. Hell, most people wouldn't know how (or remember) to turn on the headlights if they got in a car that didn't have automatic lights. There's just nothing about the new cars in general that says "hey, you need one of these."

And it's not just because I like rowing my own gears - my wife, who doesn't know how to drive a manual (blame her parents) can't stand most new cars.

It's almost like everything has become so similar due to windtunnel testing, pedestrian safety regulations, passenger safety..etc. The only difference in the badge and maybe the color. Unless you get in to the low production or super car range - it's just a very bleak landscape.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      My buddy (a BMW mechanic) and I talk about it all the time. It's hard to have brand loyalty any more when the cars are all the same anymore.

The driving experience is so disconnected anymore, and lets face it - drivers today are lazy as f*ck. Hell, most people wouldn't know how (or remember) to turn on the headlights if they got in a car that didn't have automatic lights. There's just nothing about the new cars in general that says "hey, you need one of these."

And it's not just because I like rowing my own gears - my wife, who doesn't know how to drive a manual (blame her parents) can't stand most new cars.

It's almost like everything has become so similar due to windtunnel testing, pedestrian safety regulations, passenger safety..etc. The only difference in the badge and maybe the color. Unless you get in to the low production or super car range - it's just a very bleak landscape.
      Its the same with the colour options. You'd think everyone was colour blind with what they get to choose from on modern cars. Black, white, silver, dark silver and MAYBE a red or blue and thats it.

In general, they are only catering to the mass consumer and that consumer is a lot let willing to take risks on a big purchase like a new car.
      Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

Comment

I haven't driven any of them, but I hear you. Post-E46 BMWs do nothing for me, and honestly, I think they're the ugliest cars coming out of Germany. I think they jumped the shark when they started playing engine sounds through the stereo, combined with their new model naming scheme, which makes no sense whatsoever. I recently learned that the new 328i has a 2L 4cyl, not a 2.8 I6. And how many fucking gears do they have? I think the new Fords have a 9 gear transmission. They added 3 gears in like ten years. And who needs that many gears anyway? Five or six is all you need.

There's a handful of newer cars I like - the new Miata, the Cayman (6cyl), S2000, and maybe one or two others. Otherwise they leave me pretty cold. Super cars do nothing for me. They're too refined (new cars in general), and mostly just a fashion/status statement IMO. Not going to get into how complicated they are. You all know that already.

I think American ruined cars. All their ever increasing safety standards starting in the 70s have only made cars worse. Heavier, more complicated, uglier. Not that safer cars are a bad thing, but it's certainly been a trade off. The pedestrian safety stuff is stupid though. If you're dumb enough to walk in front of a car because you weren't looking where you're going, you deserve whatever you get.
        Last edited by rturbo 930; 06-12-2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

E36 and older for me, personally. I drove an E46 M3 a while back, and even that was too disconnected for my tastes. IMO, the E36 M3 is the last of teh drivers cars from BMW. Just my opinion, of course.

This isn't just BMW's either. I drove a buddies 05 STI for a while, wayyy back in the day, while I was wrapping up my S52 swap. Car was an absolute joy to drive. tons of feedback, lots of feel. I fell in love immediately.

Went and test drove a 2017 STI last summer. Same old boring shit that you all are describing. Super disconnected. Too insulated as well. Did not feel fast, regardless of how quick the speedo moved. Did not fall in love.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I'm sorry you feel that way.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I do not like 'new' BMWs

In general I agree, but there are a few bright spots in the current line-up. I would like to thrash a new 2 series around a track sometime. It is about the same size as an E30, and I understand BMW put a conscious effort into keeping it simple (by today's standards anyway). I'll take an M2 manual please.

Last edited by Aleman; 06-12-2017, 01:57 PM.
              R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
              └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
                In general I agree, but there a few bright spots in the current line-up. I would like to thrash a new 2 series around a track sometime. It is about the same size as an E30, and I understand BMW put a conscious effort into keeping it simple (by today's standards anyway). I'll take an M2 manual please.

I was just going to say I'd love to take an M2 for the drive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                1990 BMW 325i Sedan
                Mods:
                -Condor Poly CABs

Comment

I had a new x3 as a loaner a couple months back. I felt it was shittier quality wise than my e53 but the new tech was nice.

I'd like to try out the newer 2 and 4 series. I was contemplating replacing my s5 with a 435ix
                  Originally posted by Sonny
                  I am a meme for our community.

Comment

This basically applies to all cars though. Pretty much all econoboxes look the same. But much like bmws they keep selling them, so why stop?

Comment

I'd like an E82 135i, or an e90/e91 as a daily.

Beyond that, maybe if I had a job and could write off a lease, then do a 5er to daily into the ground/let the wife drive/not look after at all.

I thought about the M235i/M2, but honestly I'd rather have an N54/6 135i... at least you know what problems you'll have when you pull the trigger.

On the other hand, Newer MB stuff has been catching my eye (at least in the looks department).
                      Last edited by Northern; 06-12-2017, 03:15 PM.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I think the e82 128i was the last of the pure, fun to drive BMWs and I'm kicking myself for not buying one back in 2013. It was compact, had nimble handling, and had the last of the naturally-aspirated in-line 6s. No turbos or direct injection crap to deal with. They have future cult car written all over them.
                        My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                          On the other hand, Newer MB stuff has been catching my eye (at least in the looks department).

Agreed

Last winter we rented a little CLA250 4matic. Compared to the BMW 2/3/4 lineup, the curb appeal of the MB was a much nicer experience. Despite the NVH on highway speeds, my GF and I would have made an exception for that car.
                          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

The e46M is far and away my favorite BMW of all time (that's all I have been driving for the past 12 years). The e30 is my 2nd favorite and I agree with most of what is being said. I have no interest in post 2006 BMW's and think they are now producing the ugliest cars out of Germany as well. Fortunately for me, I am not a brand-loyalist though I have owned all BMW's for quite some time.

Mr. Wolfe
                            sigpic

Comment

Funny- I'm still getting used to how little feedback I get from the E46.

Then I get back in the ti and life's better...

Things change. All I seem to do is get older and grouchier.

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X