No announcement yet.

E30's at SEMA 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The white M3 looks like a great quality build and a blast to drive.

Personally I prefer E30 M3s clean without stickers and more proportioned wheels but can appreciate good work.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
      Damn, harsh. I don't see what's so wrong with the white M3, other than maybe purists hating the fact that it's swapped. It looks like a lot better than a lot of the stuff I see in pics from SEMA, if it sounds good, would like to hear it since I don't know what makes F80 M3s sound so bad but they definitely do sound bad especially when loud. There's a more detailed video on it that just came out but unfortunately it features no footage of the car running. That second car though, yeah that's polarizing at best but to me just ruined.
      Here's a good sound clip from yesterday wit friends https://www.instagram.com/p/B0bE5b2n..._web_copy_link

Comment

Originally posted by coldweatherblue View Post
        The white M3 looks like a great quality build and a blast to drive.

Personally I prefer E30 M3s clean without stickers and more proportioned wheels but can appreciate good work.
        Eventually the livery will come off, but it served a cool purpose at SEMA to showcase brands while being period correct. Many touring car teams of the erra used monochrome liveries to cut down on costs and down time between race accidents. We followed typical logo locations of the erra and used diagonal lines to make the car feel longer, while emphasising the fender flares. Is it the most perfect and beautiful livery, no, but it served a purpose while being in the spirt of 80's touring cars.

As for the 18's, that is what BMW ran in early DTM cars.

Comment

I have to say, I like both of them.. Again, I appreciate being unique with an engine swap and still sticking with the BMW brand for the power (where's the hate with swapping a Toyota or Honda motor instead?)

The fact those motors sound weak is not the car builders fault - that's on BMW. And the powers that be forcing emissions and economy standards on the automotive industry. They've become increasingly less concerned about drivers and more about company appearance to be eco friendly.

In the end - it's all going to be electric, the only motor noise will be us going "vroom-vroom" as we sit where a steering wheel used to be.
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I saw both of these in person, and I really wanted to know what was going on underneath the black car. It looked to me like it was just a 325i with a wild bodykit and vinyl wrap. Aesthetically interesting but I would have loved to see it as developed as the white m3 was. The white m3 was immaculately done. There was even a mirror on the ground underneath with the back jacked up so you could see that it was all there and buttoned up. I remember really appreciating that part of the display, just trying to showcase that it wasnt another "sema build"
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

The host is a little bit annoying but the background and detail on the build of that S55 swapped M3 might help some appreciate it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjokzW92AI8

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

there a one take on this car. seems like a few fundamentals went missing
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Dang, Matt really couldn't stop complaining about the lack of power steering. It has some sticky tires and the engine is probably heavier than an S14 but is it really that bad or is he being a big baby? I'm guessing the latter. Even with 200 treadwear tires the only time I even think about my lack of power steering is when I'm in a parking lot. Maybe he needs to start lifting. Shame about the vibration and lack of AC though, that's a real oversight.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Who needs AC in an E30? That's what your DD is for..
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      Who needs AC in an E30? That's what your DD is for..
                      I do lol!! I am a wimp now in the summer.
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Can kind of understand no A/C but no PS is mandatory for a swap car IMO. It's like taking a shortcut
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                          Can kind of understand no A/C but no PS is mandatory for a swap car IMO. It's like taking a shortcut
                          I agree since its pretty easy to do.

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I know it's fun to play pretend race car and say you deleted AC for weight reduction but honestly if it's a street car, weekend or DD, once you go somewhere that feels hot or get caught in a rain storm on a warm day you'll find yourself wishing you had it. Sitting in your sweat or having to wipe the inside of your windows down takes the fun out of your driving experience pretty quickly. Agreed, as long as there's room power steering is generally pretty easy to sort (AC is too when you get down to it!) but it doesn't seem worth constantly bitching about PS with a light car that is only on 225 width tires as long as it doesn't have a completely whack scrub radius.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

The e30 you posted were pretty sweet but I found this more enjoyable:

That’s what the madmen at B Is For Build thought would be a good time, and the end result is evidence that they were 100 percent correct. The V10 has been poached from a BMW E60-series M5, and the team worked an incredible amount of magic to end up with a result as polished as …

It was kind of a hidden gem at the Konig booth- first glance just looked like a v8 swapped datsun. Until you start looking at it and notice the interior and dayum.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                                I know it's fun to play pretend race car and say you deleted AC for weight reduction but honestly if it's a street car, weekend or DD, once you go somewhere that feels hot or get caught in a rain storm on a warm day you'll find yourself wishing you had it. Sitting in your sweat or having to wipe the inside of your windows down takes the fun out of your driving experience pretty quickly. Agreed, as long as there's room power steering is generally pretty easy to sort (AC is too when you get down to it!) but it doesn't seem worth constantly bitching about PS with a light car that is only on 225 width tires as long as it doesn't have a completely whack scrub radius.
                                Meh. My E30 hasn't had AC since before you knew what an E30 was.

I agree on PS though. I've had cars with crank windows, manual drum brakes and no PS... no thanks...

Also I haven't had a stereo for most of my E30 ownership. Thinking of ripping out all the speakers and wires, *gasp*! Too bad I don't have iDrive/nav, how would I ever figure out where I'm going?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by nando; 08-09-2019, 09:03 PM.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X