No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the new C8 corvette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap oversteer isn't going to be a problem with a car that has stability and traction control and a 107.2" wheelbase. This isn't an AW11... and the AW11 and to a lesser extent AW20 were just not very tolerant of driver error since they were short wheelbase MR cars, they weren't just biting people out of flawed handling. E30s will spin easily too if you screw up.

No Corvette has been kind to the ham-fisted, being MR instead of FR isn't the start of something new there. Just gotta git gud.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
      Snap oversteer isn't going to be a problem with a car that has stability and traction control and a 107.2" wheelbase. This isn't an AW11...

No Corvette has been kind to the ham-fisted, being MR instead of FR isn't the start of something new there. Just gotta git gud.
      500HP, >60k, MR

gunna get hella noobs buying this

gunna get hella vetts in the bushes
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
        gunna get hella vetts in the bushes
        Nothing new there.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          Some cool photos in there. That engine is reeeeaaalllyy low.
          The valve covers are below the top of the rear tire. Compact V8 and dry sump FTW.

Comment

I've been thinking about all the cool OEM parts where going to get from the C8. Dry sump for LT and pro bally be adapted for the LS by the aftermarket. A readily available trans axle DCT for mid engine cars thats not 20k. The reproduction car community is going to boom i think.
            91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
            Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
            E30 can make you, E30 can break you
            "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

No manual, says the Engineer......

"Juechter said a manual-equipped Corvette wouldn't sell well enough to make it worth a supplier’s effort to develop.

“We couldn’t find anybody honestly who’d be willing to do it. Because just like the automatic, the DCT, it would have to be a bespoke manual,” Juechter said. “It’s low volume, very expensive. The reason is it’s a low-volume industry. That industry is dying—building manual transmissions.”

Apparently, the take-rate for manuals in the Corvette has plummeted to about 15 percent now, according to Juechter."

Which is too bad, as I just read that Volkswagen is developing a new from-scratch transverse manual, as that's what the rest of the world buys.

Comment

That is surprising.

I would have guessed GM had the leverage to get a supplier to make anything and a decent price point.
                1991 318iC
                1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                  A readily available trans axle DCT for mid engine cars thats not 20k. The reproduction car community is going to boom i think.
                  I'm thinking Delorean and Lotus Esprit. Factory 5 is probably already chomping at the bit.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                    I'm thinking Delorean and Lotus Esprit. Factory 5 is probably already chomping at the bit.

My buddy has the Turbo V8 Esprit And is foaming at the mouth over this transmission
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hagerty on the LT2 changes...

Please clarify for me - this is the old school small block, not the newer LS block? Or have they recycled the names so this is a version of the LS?

Comment

it's OHC, instead of pushrod - so it's pretty much a new engine.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No, I don't think so - old school valve covers and no cam drive. It's pushrod.

The 2020 C8 Corvette Stingray caused quite the commotion when GM unveiled it recently. We take a dive into the new LT2 engine platform that powers the C8.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a-first-look-at-the-c8-corvette-stingrays-lt2-engine-2019-07-23_15-42-15_997587.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	7201939

Comment

It's definitely cam in block design. Keeps packaging tight.

If the exhaust bolt pattern is the same as the previous LT1 those headers are going to be gold for turbo guys later.

GM Recycles RPO codes. LT1 was way 70s, then again in the 90s and now for the c7/c8. LS6, L98, LT4, among others have all been recycled at some point.
                            84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                            Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Huh. I read somewhere it was ohc.

It's still a "new" engine though - although not terribly different.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by the comments
                                Still with the pushrods…so what exactly are you paying for ? A Lambo wannabe ?
                                Ah those glorious pushrods, separating the wheat from the chaff in automotive discussions as always. Welcome, brainlet commenter, to the world of 5.7L+ engines that fit in anything and don't weigh or cost an outrageous amount.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X