Thoughts on the new C8 corvette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    The C8.R Corvette Racing version will have a 5.5 liter, NA, flat-plane crank V8. It's gonna sound great!
    That motor will trickle down to us, hopefully homologation rules. Cant wait to see what becomes of that motor.
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Holly shit, that 5.5L is insane sounding (new video)

This thing is crazy. Those revs sound like they get crazy high crazy quick. Can’t wait to see how it’ll tackle the competition at the racetrack!I appreciate ...

Glad GM is putting my tax dollars to good work.
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        seems kinda boring
        Boring? lol

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Maybe not a flat-plane crank, hmm... Piston mass, vibration, longevity, 180 degree headers......

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
            Maybe not a flat-plane crank, hmm... Piston mass, vibration, longevity, 180 degree headers......

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...dnesday_Oct_09
            That's a good article. Makes more sense for chevy to keep the cross plane. Its a real shame we don't get trickle down from the race cars into consumer product. Where are the OEM ITB's
            91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

mmmm...180 degree headers......

Comment

The C8 is a homerun.

The base C7 had 455 HP. The ZR1 added 300 HP and didn't make lap times commensurately quicker.

The base C8 hits the same 0-60 time as the C7 ZR1, while having 250 FEWER horsepower. Mid-engine traction achieved, which was the entire point of building the C8.

The volume of the Corvette is what ensured it wouldn't have a stick. If GM had to spend $100,000,000 to develop the stick and then puts it into 10,000 cars... guess what? It's a $10,000 option. The quality bar for modern manual transmissions is SO HIGH that they can not be affordably developed for niche markets anymore. The dual clutch with launch control is a pretty awesome substitute, though. You can hit that 2.9 0-60 at every stoplight, as long as you have dry pavement.

Snap oversteer occurs on MR cars that don't have enough tire stagger. A stock Fiero can be coaxed to do it without a lot of trouble. Fit tires that match the car's 45/55 weight distributions (e.g. 205 front and 245 rear) and the snap oversteer is MOSTLY tamed. Now go check the C8's tires sizes...

And yeah, it has pushrods. That's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                  The base C7 had 455 HP. The ZR1 added 300 HP and didn't make lap times commensurately quicker.
                  This x1000. Clients always coming in the shop saying "I want xxx horsepower", and they have never even driven anything lower than 10:1 hp/wt ratio, never mind something 5:1 lol.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

"The biggest surprise of the technical presentation was the new 5.5-liter DOHC flat-plane crank V8 engine that powers the race car. This engine will not only power the race car but as we shared with you last week will also show up in some form in street car due to FIA homologation rules."

Displacement and horsepower of the race engine is because of Balance of Performance rules for GT classes.

Lower center of gravity, higher rev limit, direct injection.

When it first showed the 2020 Corvette C8, Chevy was proud of its magnetic shocks, aluminum suspension, choice 19-inch wheels, and big 6.2-liter V8. But when it comes to the actual race car, you won’t find any of that stuff. Everything gets smaller and simpler. Well, except for the gas tank.

I'm kind of curious why they run the exhaust out through the crowded diffuser area rather than go out the sides (Oh, unless 180 degree headers...) like a 962 and so many other mid-engine race cars.

Comment

I've seen rumors, that the zo6 might be NA based off the C8.R's 5.5L motor.

Basically a 911 GT3 competitor, that car sells really well despite being not as fast on paper compared to other FI cars. It has no competitor and a C8 based off the race car just like how the GT3 compares to the RSR would seem reasonable.

I can only hope

91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

I like it a lot, but my main hope is that it's super popular so C7 values drop and I can snag a manual coupe one in the next 2 years...
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

The last C7. Late coming off the line because of the strike. Already auctioned off for charity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vette-1573826230.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	9886335

Comment

The convertible looks really cool too. I really want a red coupe. $65k for the performance package, such a crazy good deal.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

I just want to see what Cleetus McFarland will do with an auction one later.
                              Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                              Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                              Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

No manual so wouldn't buy it.

Also, electric cars suck.

#shorttesla

Comment

Working...
                                X