Another cold air intake thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another cold air intake thread.

Yeah, i've searched and found numberous ones of these, but nothing to back up "It makes your car lose power". I'm wondering if anyone has real proof through dynos of what an intake does on these cars. I haven't found anything yet.

For some reason my stock intake tube isn't sealing worth a shit and the car is running terrible, cuts out sometimes towards redline, idles bad, choppy powerband. The tighter i make the hose clamps, the better it runs, smoother powerband, better idle, unfortately the clamps are on the verge of breaking they're so tight. I'm thinking silicone couplers, hard pipes, and t-bolt clamps will do the trick, i rather not waste my money if there's no gain or an actual decrese in power from it, i'd rather rubber cement it if that's what might happen.

have you checked the intake boot for cracks or air leaks of any kind? An air leak after the AFM will make it run like shit. 20 year old rubber is probably deteriorated and will crack and leak soon, just replace it, if you havnt already, as a regular mainentance item.
    --Will

Comment

well i guess u havent read this yet.
      ill stick to my stock air box.

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

you porbably wont loose power but more shit will get into your engine, it flows better because it doesnt do its job as well as it should.
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post
          well i guess u havent read this yet.
          ill stick to my stock air box.

http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/
          Now that's a good page!

I'm reading through it now.

Edit: Read it, cool information, not really what i was looking for, but it definately was a good read. I'd like to see how a hardpipe with a cone filter and heat shield does compared to a stock intake.

I'm going to check my intake tube throughly today for any rips or tears.
          Last edited by O 16581 72452 5; 10-31-2006, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Can't "back it up with a dyno" But I can tell you that my car ran significantly worse after I spent a slew of time and money shoehorning a K&N Cone filter and hard tube in there.

I reverted to stock box with panel K&N and was very happy with it, my 19lb 4pintle injectors and MarkD chip.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

I noticed a drop in low end torque. High end though at 80 mph+ it improved quite a bit. Daily driving = stock airbox, track days = cai.
              sigpic

Comment

That's the point of I/H/E, high end power...

Comment

It sounds like you have problems that replacing the air filter would not solve.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                    It sounds like you have problems that replacing the air filter would not solve.
                    for sure. before wasting time and money on worthless bolt ons, how about some maintenance? replace sensors, hoses, boots, cap and rotor, spark plugs, ICV, valve adjustment, test things like the AFM and throttle switch, etc. etc.. get your car running like it should be, and then worry about mods. otherwise you end up masking problems and potentially making them much harder to find later on..
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      for sure. before wasting time and money on worthless bolt ons, how about some maintenance? replace sensors, hoses, boots, cap and rotor, spark plugs, ICV, valve adjustment, test things like the AFM and throttle switch, etc. etc.. get your car running like it should be, and then worry about mods. otherwise you end up masking problems and potentially making them much harder to find later on..
                      I'm thinking my intake is leaking after the AFM, i'm not too worried about a mod as much as maintaince with a possible gain, like i said later today i will check out my intake tube to see if it's torn or ripped.

Comment

Well I don't see how the intake has anything to do with the maintainence of a vacuum leak after the AFM.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                          Well I don't see how the intake has anything to do with the maintainence of a vacuum leak after the AFM.
                          Hard pipe would replace the tube between the AFM, TB, and Silicone seals better than old ass rubber...

Comment

Well when you add a cold air intake... for it to be an actual cold air intake you have to block the heat from the engine.. or else it would just be a hot air intake...
                            so what i've done here is this....

Then add a nice stylish box to keep out all the bad hot air... shave the openings of the grill to allow more air to flow to the filter... then bam.. you have yourself a stylish ram cold air intake...

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Did you remove your IACV?

Comment

Working...
                              X