When to move on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

E46 is going to have a lot more poke, BUT less feel- the E36 really did get a lot of things right. In very nice shape, that's a fair deal around here.

There was just some chatter on the e46 boards about a true DCT conversion with a standalone controller-
    THAT would be a FANTASTIC way to not have a clutch but still have transmission control.
    The E46 SMG is... well, it only has one clutch, and if the controller fails...

t
    would hook it up to a pedal, but my disabilities are more mental.
    This is interesting...so you can pretty much buy a dct tranny and slap it on any car? Am i missing something??
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30 brick View Post

What you say is true! I feel the sight/sales on here have slowed down. I dont know if it is lack of interest or if the young guys are using facebook???

I have seriously considered an e46 m3 for the reasons you mentioned. Maybe i will keep my options open...especially if it will be doing primarily track duty.

Part of me thinks ill really regret giving up on the e30. Not to mention i have a few rare and sought after parts ive been hoarding for the right candidate.

Let me ask you guys this. How much at a shop would cost to throw an LS swap or s52 swap on an e30? Granted this will be an estimate...
      Facebook marketplace is booming. One can make an ad and post it in multiple groups with 1 click. Can't do that on forums. Also, people can ask questions and get answers right away with instant notifications on their mobile. Not everyone has time to sit down at a computer anymore. Then there's the matter of uploading pics, hosting them, creating links, etc.

LS swap is like $15-20K, S52 swap is $5-7k. There are a lot of variables though.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post

Facebook marketplace is booming. One can make an ad and post it in multiple groups with 1 click. Can't do that on forums. Also, people can ask questions and get answers right away with instant notifications on their mobile. Not everyone has time to sit down at a computer anymore. Then there's the matter of uploading pics, hosting them, creating links, etc.

LS swap is like $15-20K, S52 swap is $5-7k. There are a lot of variables though.
        Unfortunately, most people on FB are scammers and douche bags. Much prefer to do business with r3v people, and sometimes eBay, for used parts. I've had good luck with craigslist for the very best deals though.
        If I were looking to get out of the E30 racket, I'd be laser focused on finding a clean E46 M3. Gorgeous car, wicked fast, going up in value. I wouldn't want one for my daily, though, due to the maintenance & repair costs with doing so.
        R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
        └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Facebook would sell us to the glue factory if they could bang a buck - forums rule!

Comment

Originally posted by e30 brick View Post

This is interesting...so you can pretty much buy a dct tranny and slap it on any car? Am i missing something??
            As I read it, any car that uses an M20 based engine for the bellhousing pattern. IF the E46 guy's right, and it'll fit his M54

BUT: I don't think anyone's seen product yet. Personally, if I was headed down this road, I'd get the
            'Seems Legit' product in hand before I bought the transmission. One of the new 'features'
            of the Kickstarted Millenial Generation is that they put out a great website, but delivering
            hard goods is... well, harder.

t
            waiting on a couple of things that 'will ship next week'
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

BMW DCT 7 speed is silly cheap these days on ebay, they never break it seems. only downside is the weight. And only 1 aftermarket ECU controls it from what ive seen its the MaxxECU one
              91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
              Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
              E30 can make you, E30 can break you
              "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

A nice E30 is a luxury. I had to take a break from them for a bit but now I'm back. This one I'm not selling.

The next e30 will be more expensive and parts will be harder to come by.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I like the E36, but the build quality of an E30 is a lot better. I would choose a 318ti if I was going with an E36 since it's more E30-like. The E46 is a nice improvement over the E36, but it has some issues like electrical glitches since there's a control module for everything, even the headlights. No more simple relays. Still, an E46 ZHP or E46 M3 SMG might fit the bill for you.
                  Last edited by Andrew325is; 03-04-2020, 07:56 PM.
                  Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

My two current registered cars are a 91 318i and a 95 318ti, both of which have similar mods. Aesthetics aside, the compact is a better car, as in a driving appliance. It has slightly higher limits, it offers more utility, gets better mileage,, is simply easier to live with on a day to day, while still being fun to drive and offers very similar levels of mechanical simplicity.

Not to mention that I'll happily take the E36 out in the dirt, will drive it with salt on the roads, have zero parking paranoia, and am not too bothered if it accumulates a few weeks of exterior grime.

Comment

Working...
                    X