Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone even visit this forum anymore??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post
    Well people still make new threads on here so yeah there’s traffic. My guess is R3v was much more active back around 2008-mid 2010s when the E30 was in its heyday as an enthusiast car and online forums were still popular
    Well yeah, forums were relatively new at that time, e30s were dirt cheap and everywhere, so people in their late teens to mid twenties were buying them. Now those people are in their 30s, have a wife/kids, and shit posting on forums just isn't a thing to do anymore.

    One of the things I notice is that although there are less build threads, the stuff being worked on is much higher quality. People have a bit more cash and a lot more knowledge. No one is doing a shitty m50nv swap to get that 30hp anymore, now people are building 200+ whp NA m20 cars and reliable 400hp+ turbo m20 monsters.

    All the "tits or gtfo" and "search n00b" mentality is gone. The remaining posters are actually helpful to the new people. When did we get old and turn into mye28 or bmw2002faq?!?!?!?
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

      Some of us still prefer words and images to video. Very off topic, but I cannot stand the changeover to every yahoo doing a video DIY that I just do not want to watch instead of writing it up. Different strokes I suppose.
      The problem with videos is that a lot of them are just fucking boring. To make a good video you need charisma and a decent ability to edit a video, and a lot of people simply don't. And with DIYs, it's a lot easier to refer back to something written than a video. A written DIY with photos is ideal.

      I don't understand how FB has managed to steal away so much traffic considering how poor it is as a substitute for a forum. FB is for current events, a forum is an archive. Not even remotely the same.

      As I see it, what we have on R3V now is quality over quantity. No dumb kids doing rocket bunny stance builds, or whatever the latest shitty trend is for people to get likes on IG and FB. The wheat has been separated from the chaff.
      Last edited by rturbo 930; 01-12-2021, 11:20 PM.
      2000 A4 1.8TQ | 1988 325is | 1976 280Z | 1953 CJ3B

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        I still spend too much time on this site, and heavily prefer a proper build thread over a YouTube video of someone vlogging their build, which seems to be the trend. With so few folks left, though, the fun in writing engaging content in my own build thread has largely dwindled.

        mjweimer and Matt@EDC need to get their rears in gear with build thread updates- their work is fantastic and highly detailed.


        You got me there. My updates have been shameful but I have at least been trying to share knowledge with others when I can...I will try to get an update together soon.


        Originally posted by McGyver View Post

        Well yeah, forums were relatively new at that time, e30s were dirt cheap and everywhere, so people in their late teens to mid twenties were buying them. Now those people are in their 30s, have a wife/kids, and shit posting on forums just isn't a thing to do anymore.

        One of the things I notice is that although there are less build threads, the stuff being worked on is much higher quality. People have a bit more cash and a lot more knowledge. No one is doing a shitty m50nv swap to get that 30hp anymore, now people are building 200+ whp NA m20 cars and reliable 400hp+ turbo m20 monsters.

        All the "tits or gtfo" and "search n00b" mentality is gone. The remaining posters are actually helpful to the new people. When did we get old and turn into mye28 or bmw2002faq?!?!?!?
        This is a very good observation. Other forms of media are interesting but offer no real archive or method for searching and finding an answer to a question/problem/etc. The past work documented in this forum has answered or inspired my work countless times and when I've asked members here specific questions, I have always received a helpful answer - great folks on here!!

        Comment


          #19
          Facebook is so mind numbingly stupid for anything like these types of topics. Every tom dick and harry asking inane questions. I cannot stand to watch 99.9% of the youtube videos out there because they suck, car enthusiasts are not natural born entertainers for the most part. I know anything I make would be awful.

          You'll never convince me that the forum format isn't the best way to document a project. I guess thats why I'm posting project updates on here even though theres very little engagement. My thread on e30zone has one reply that isn't me. I will probably stop at some point, since the real reason to post updates is for people to chime in with helpful experience, tips and tricks.

          I help moderate a Kawasaki KZ650 forum, we have some fatigue from keeping it going for a long time but we still try to have active discussion on project threads and questions, even if its just the mods engaging with the member who has issues. My suggestion for the mods and admins here would be to throw up a post if someone asks a question or if you see something on a project thread. If you dont want your forum to die off. People posting questions and projects are going to give up posting if they're just getting crickets.

          This place is a great resource and the search has helped me a lot. Its a real shame it seems to be close to defunct. I've seen it before, when the general chat is more active than the rest of the forum, its not a good sign. Maybe the comments about quality vs quantity is the reason for few replies. My thread has a lot of views but few replies. Is it because I seem like I know what I'm doing? I think I do but my E30 knowledge isn't the same as some of you guys.
          Last edited by 89_325i; 01-13-2021, 05:59 AM.
          "Dolphins aren't so smart, they can't even engineer an E-diff"

          Comment


            #20
            Let's remember, we, and by we I mean people with E30 builds, likely inspire thousands of younger prospective E30 owners, even if they never post for whatever reason. Also, without r3v, the E30T archive and similar places the next wave will simply have to relearn all of the accumulated knowledge of those places, which is wasteful.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by McGyver View Post
              All the "tits or gtfo" and "search n00b" mentality is gone. The remaining posters are actually helpful to the new people. When did we get old and turn into mye28 or bmw2002faq?!?!?!?
              So true and I like it that way. The R3v FB site is home for all the useless comments now. Any day without seeing the word "prolly" is a good one.

              It's obvious that a much smaller core group of people are posting here, but I pray that forums like this never go away. FB is totally useless for those of us that rely on forums to keep our older Bimmers on the road.

              Cory
              1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by McGyver View Post

                Well yeah, forums were relatively new at that time, e30s were dirt cheap and everywhere, so people in their late teens to mid twenties were buying them. Now those people are in their 30s, have a wife/kids, and shit posting on forums just isn't a thing to do anymore.

                One of the things I notice is that although there are less build threads, the stuff being worked on is much higher quality. People have a bit more cash and a lot more knowledge. No one is doing a shitty m50nv swap to get that 30hp anymore, now people are building 200+ whp NA m20 cars and reliable 400hp+ turbo m20 monsters.

                All the "tits or gtfo" and "search n00b" mentality is gone. The remaining posters are actually helpful to the new people. When did we get old and turn into mye28 or bmw2002faq?!?!?!?
                nailed it. fucking nailed it. i will say, in the last ten years, my quality standards have gone through the roof, same goes for my patience level. stuff i thought was "nice" ten years ago would not even be considered remotely tolerable today. engine swaps are pretty meh to me, anymore. i talk (almost) every customer that comes in my doors, that's looking to have a swap done, out of one. i try encourage them to have me do some minor modifications to their M20 or M42 and really love the car for how it was designed. guess what, they have all loved it for what it is.

                18 year old me would be dumbfounded with 28 year old me. not everything has to be modified to have fun or enjoy it. i've definitely started turning into my mentor...

                but to answer the OPs question, i still visit the site daily. i just have a lot less bullshit to add than i did ten years ago. i
                make it a point, that if i post something, that it's actually a useful or helpful comment, not just commenting to comment. i have a feeling a lot of folks have moved in that direction.
                Portland, Oregon
                E28M5 | E30S50 | E30M3

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by e30austin View Post

                  nailed it. fucking nailed it. i will say, in the last ten years, my quality standards have gone through the roof, same goes for my patience level. stuff i thought was "nice" ten years ago would not even be considered remotely tolerable today.

                  ......

                  but to answer the OPs question, i still visit the site daily. i just have a lot less bullshit to add than i did ten years ago. i make it a point, that if i post something, that it's actually a useful or helpful comment, not just commenting to comment. i have a feeling a lot of folks have moved in that direction.
                  Exactly this! I keep finding "repairs" I made 10 years ago when I got my car and I'm horrified with my quality of work (which felt "above and beyond" at that time).

                  ......

                  I also agree with this part. I check certain subsections daily (m20, forced induction, alternative tuning), and these were places I wasn't interested in years ago. I delete half the posts I type because it doesn't feel like I'm adding to the conversation.
                  sigpic
                  1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                  1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                  1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by McGyver View Post

                    Exactly this! I keep finding "repairs" I made 10 years ago when I got my car and I'm horrified with my quality of work (which felt "above and beyond" at that time).

                    ......

                    I also agree with this part. I check certain subsections daily (m20, forced induction, alternative tuning), and these were places I wasn't interested in years ago. I delete half the posts I type because it doesn't feel like I'm adding to the conversation.
                    same here. i did some wiring harness repair to my red car about ten years ago (after stupid 18 year old me forgot to clip the wiring loom to the valance) and at the time, i thought it was a nice job. i spent about 2.5 hours repairing everything, finding the correct color wiring (it pays to be a hoarder sometimes), cleaning everything with wax and grease remover, soldering and shrink wrapping all the connections and re wrapping the entire front section of the wiring harness. 28 year old me was content with it. 18 year old me would have been mind blown.

                    you and i should be best friends... because i cannot tell you how many times i have written some lengthy response and go "oh, who cares" and delete it. daily, i would say.
                    Portland, Oregon
                    E28M5 | E30S50 | E30M3

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by McGyver View Post

                      All the "tits or gtfo" and "search n00b" mentality is gone...
                      Still hoping to see boobs


                      Also, everybody in this thread should be updating their own threads. I know some are, but many people dont. I dont even have an E30 anymore and I have 2 active threads in the members rides forum

                      Simon
                      Current Car:
                      -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                      -2002 MR2 Spyder, the solo-mobile



                      Make R3V Great Again -2020

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

                        Still hoping to see boobs


                        Also, everybody in this thread should be updating their own threads. I know some are, but many people dont. I dont even have an E30 anymore and I have 2 active threads in the members rides forum
                        Can you move my threads to the projects forum? I'm realizing now, its more of an E30 project than it is a 24V project, and maybe that hurts my visibility.

                        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...-with-m50-swap
                        "Dolphins aren't so smart, they can't even engineer an E-diff"

                        Comment


                          #27
                          I haven't been on every day in 2020 like past years, there's been a few times it was weeks without being here (I know, shame. :()

                          Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                          i talk (almost) every customer that comes in my doors, that's looking to have a swap done, out of one. i try encourage them to have me do some minor modifications to their M20 or M42 and really love the car for how it was designed. guess what, they have all loved it for what it is.

                          18 year old me would be dumbfounded with 28 year old me. not everything has to be modified to have fun or enjoy it.
                          Same. And wow, you are aging me. 0.o I was older than you when I signed up here 15yr ago :/

                          Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                          No one is doing a shitty m50nv swap to get that 30hp anymore, now people are building 200+ whp NA m20 cars and reliable 400hp+ turbo m20 monsters.
                          Yeah, the nv isn't even 30hp lol, rated BHP is 189. The m50 vanos IRL puts down about 5-10whp more than an m20 stock for stock.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by 89_325i View Post

                            Can you move my threads to the projects forum? I'm realizing now, its more of an E30 project than it is a 24V project, and maybe that hurts my visibility.

                            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...-with-m50-swap
                            I wish I could. Im a low-level Moderator... Cant move threads, cant ban people. I can only delete posts, and a few other things ...

                            Imagine what a sh!t show it would be if I wasnt here cleaning up spam!
                            Simon
                            Current Car:
                            -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                            -2002 MR2 Spyder, the solo-mobile



                            Make R3V Great Again -2020

                            Comment


                              #29
                              I visit everyday mostly since my join date. I always think about posting a build thread but never actually sit down and make it happen. I've had many e30 projects but I just figure no one wants to read my BS ramblings. :)

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by amcp View Post
                                I visit everyday mostly since my join date. I always think about posting a build thread but never actually sit down and make it happen. I've had many e30 projects but I just figure no one wants to read my BS ramblings. :)
                                You need to make a build thread... you owe me that
                                Simon
                                Current Car:
                                -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                                -2002 MR2 Spyder, the solo-mobile



                                Make R3V Great Again -2020

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X