Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone even visit this forum anymore??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
    Andrew325is BINGO. I feel Facebook has been a better platform for selling items locally just due to the sheer volume of eyeballs. But aside from peddling wares I feel like it's basically a platform for questions that have been answered a million times over by younger owners that don't even know the forum exists (with plenty of useful DIY's if they'd only take the time to look). I hate that at age 33 I'm already turning into the "get off my porch" type, but some of the banter is honestly unbearable (if illegible) a lot of the time. The majority of my car knowledge was attained by scouring the forums and putting in the time to understand what I was doing and why, and If I had been spoon fed answers on social media the instant a question popped into my head I probably wouldhave learned a fraction of that. Some of the Instagram projects are cool, but I agree that it all seems geared more towards marketing their "brand" than enjoying the car and the process. The forum has always felt like a bunch of normal dudes who like tooling around on cars and meeting up to drive and drink some beers in the garage, and I like taking the time to read through someones thread (sometimes years long) and seeing where the cars have progressed. Not possible on those other platforms. Needless to say I'm on here usually everyday, sometimes more than once if work is slow.
    I am also 33, the also feel I've reached the "Get off my porch mentality". Working 100h +/- weeks for years has changed my perception.

    Instagram project post are like TV shows where you see the end result, none of the hard work or details, then everyone dreams they can do the same. Followed up by, I hate to sell my project car ad on FB marketplace. But I do wish the best for anyone who is actually trying hard.

    Get that dead end project car of my facebook lawn.

    The flip side of the coin is that cars consume a lot of life that not many are in the position to give, especially with all these new newfangled distractions, and inflation. Yeah, I took it there.

    I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.

    Comment


      Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
      ...and inflation. Yeah, I took it there.
      I naturally assumed you were only referring to the inflated E30 market prices, and not the world in general.

      Comment


        I generally think that the dollar is worth less makes people work harder for the same cost of living people had in the 50-70's equaling less free time. Less hobby time.

        All cars get inflated when the you couldn't afford your dream car when you were young and have some extra cash now.

        I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.

        Comment


          Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
          I generally think that the dollar is worth less makes people work harder for the same cost of living people had in the 50-70's equaling less free time. Less hobby time.

          All cars get inflated when the you couldn't afford your dream car when you were young and have some extra cash now.
          I will agree with that, and they make up for it by doing crazy finance terms like over 72 months. I think the less free time thing is partly because the pace of the world and how we are so connected, it makes work last 24/7 because its tough to walk away.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus

          Comment


            Still remember that interior your had in your car, twas quite droolworthy......
            Continuous For Sale Thread
            323i s50

            Comment


              Originally posted by Staszek View Post

              I will agree with that, and they make up for it by doing crazy finance terms like over 72 months. I think the less free time thing is partly because the pace of the world and how we are so connected, it makes work last 24/7 because its tough to walk away.
              Imagine paying 70K for a new BMW, probably 80K after interest for 6 years and now its worth 20K when you pay it off and due for repairs and maintenance. What a hole. I love traveling to places that don't have cell phone service.

              I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.

              Comment


                I just logged in as I do every couple of months.... and I really think I just need to delete facebook.

                Facebook groups are the reason I don't visit the forums anymore. They are also the reason why information is not readily available.

                Ugh. It is really shitty to understand the reason why something one had spent years of their life utilizing, has died off.... but also to be a willing participant.

                For what it's worth, I do think that forums will see a resurgence. At least I hope so.
                No E30 Club
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

                Comment


                  They will have a resurgence, at least smart people will come back after deleting your Facebook
                  Simon
                  Current Car:
                  -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                  -2002 MR2 Spyder, the solo-mobile



                  Make R3V Great Again -2020

                  Comment


                    I hope so.

                    I've never had any social media so I blame everyone else.
                    Lorin


                    Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                      I hope so.

                      I've never had any social media so I blame everyone else.
                      This is social media.

                      Comment


                        Technically yes, but not like most instant gratification social media that most people have transitioned to.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                          Technically yes, but not like most instant gratification social media that most people have transitioned to.
                          Hey, that spam bot content is positively riveting and updated constantly.

                          Comment


                            Valid. Most action this forum has seen in a long time.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              They will have a resurgence, at least smart people will come back after deleting your Facebook
                              You'd hope.

                              But I get tired of waiting 10 minutes for a thread to load in Tapatalk - only to realize the latest post is some random jumble of words by a new account with 3 post cred..

                              That being said, I prefer Forums over the ArseCancer that is Social media.

                              ..even better still: Talking to real people in person. I know, our social media overlorders say that we are killing grandma's by visiting car friends to talk sh*t, but it's a risk I'm willing to take so I don't have to sort through another "help me get low" TwatBook post.

                              End Rant.
                              1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
                              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                              1991 Racecar (Chase Schmidt's former drift car - M30)
                              2006 BMW X3
                              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by djjerme View Post

                                You'd hope.

                                But I get tired of waiting 10 minutes for a thread to load in Tapatalk - only to realize the latest post is some random jumble of words by a new account with 3 post cred..

                                That being said, I prefer Forums over the ArseCancer that is Social media.

                                ..even better still: Talking to real people in person. I know, our social media overlorders say that we are killing grandma's by visiting car friends to talk sh*t, but it's a risk I'm willing to take so I don't have to sort through another "help me get low" TwatBook post.

                                End Rant.
                                woah, you're alive!

                                (even though i saw you a week ago)
                                Portland, Oregon
                                E28M5 | E30S50 | E30M3

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X